Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:31:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Surrealist Meme Thread

Started by GoblinAhFuckScary, February 21, 2021, 07:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinAhFuckScary

Been coming across a lot of this sort of thing for yonks. I think it can be easy to deride as nonsense of a revival of old random internet culture especially since it's particularly popular with younger generations, but it's more fun indulging in its absurdity really and I think you can make a reasonable link to the mentality behind dada, anti-art, fluxus etc if you aren't able to enjoy yer low-culture without it being intellectualised.

bgmnts

Buelligan

I don't know if it's surrealist or even a meme but I'm liking this very much at the moment

Ce n'est pas un mème

Also, I absolutely love the 6yr moth up there, I'm not even lying.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on February 21, 2021, 07:09:47 PM
I think you can make a reasonable link to the mentality behind dada, anti-art, fluxus etc

But can you make a reasonable link to surrealism?

GoblinAhFuckScary

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Buelligan on February 21, 2021, 07:27:39 PM

Do you remember the moth memes? I know moths are like... kinda weird and pretty and alien and all that but i HATE them and seeing close up scary moth face all the time was a bad time

also where did that lovely looking man come from

BlodwynPig

I don't know if it's surrealist or even a meme but I'm liking this very much at the moment

Ce n'est pas un mème

have you looked through his others - only a couple of Kenneths, but this is my favourite from his main character - very well observed if you are a person of a certain age, upbringing and class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvEcFHGpZ1Q

and one that pervades your sleeping hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V_zGecDCpA

Buelligan

Yes, I like two Kenneths especially also quite like the Quentin worm helmet and Exercise in the Afternoon but not as much as the Kenneths.

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on February 21, 2021, 07:46:58 PM
Do you remember the moth memes? I know moths are like... kinda weird and pretty and alien and all that but i HATE them and seeing close up scary moth face all the time was a bad time

I feel the absolute opposite.  I love their furry little faces and their whole mothness, so soft and blundery.  Light as paper and solid too.  Love them all, the trusting wee souls.

BlodwynPig

*Richard Gere wakes up in cold sweat*

Sherringford Hovis

Sky 1, 2 and 3 are absolute bangers. I got run over quite badly in 1986 - eleven weeks in hospital while they rebuilt me and I had to learn to walk again before they'd let me out. Along with the tapes I actually wanted for my Saisho Walkman, my Dad slipped in some of his choices, and I warmed to Sky in particular. Being off my head on intravenous pain meds at 13 years old and listening to John Williams and Herbie Flowers bridge the gap between prog and elevator music - great times.

It's also awesome that this guy looks exactly like my geography teacher of the time, beige Farah slacks 'n' all - days are gone.

Buelligan

GoblinAhFuckScary

first comment:
QuoteI bet Adam Curtis hates that this isn't real.

BlodwynPig

C_Larence

I think some of those memes can be funny. On instagram there's an account called incellectuals which posts some really funny stuff, and spawned a lot of "minion accounts" with names like "israellectuals" and "incellectuals.florida". Also enjoy "infinite_cum_hate" and "meaningful__images__only".
I've decided to edit this post with the best images I see as I see them.

Johnny Yesno

famethrowa

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on February 21, 2021, 08:22:01 PM
Sky 1, 2 and 3 are absolute bangers.

I'm still haunted by the first track from Sky 4, I had the terrifying idea that the descending guitar line at 2:31 might just keep playing the same 5 descending notes over and over until infinity, as if the record was skipping at the worst place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdgbFEvMpxo

(the phrase at 2:23 also sounds a bit like "with the lights out; it's less dangerous" in retrospect)

GoblinAhFuckScary

Retinend

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on February 21, 2021, 07:09:47 PMI think you can make a reasonable link to the mentality behind dada... if you aren't able to enjoy yer low-culture without it being intellectualised

That's me!

Dada was hostile to bourgeois mores surrounding art - hostile to the notion that art should be pretty in nature, conventional in subject, and inevitably exhibited in a "respectable" middle class milieu. In this sense I agree with you that Dada were forerunners of edgy memesters; that these pieces of meme-art bear its anarchic spirit and hostility to mainstream aesthetic taste.

The same could be said of the odious Sam Hyde, whose face appears in your third example above the word "stench". If anyone doesn't know who he is, they can learn more about him from my film "I Am A Cuck".

The Mollusk

I wouldn't quite say they're memes, since the content just follows its own dark surrealist narrative with no specific outside meme influence feeding it and no parodies or references coming out of it, but The Call Center is among my favourite Instagram accounts. They only post sporadically but everything they create is fantastic, very Lynchian but also tapping into a deep, untraceable sense of longing and loneliness with its relatively simplistic language. The whole aesthetic seeps effortlessly into the mind like a long, slow drift into deep sleep and just keeps on wandering further and further out. I have a very low attention span but their work always makes me stop and quietly reflect on the detail of each image.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 04, 2021, 10:24:54 AM
I wouldn't quite say they're memes, since the content just follows its own dark surrealist narrative with no specific outside meme influence feeding it and no parodies or references coming out of it, but The Call Center is among my favourite Instagram accounts. They only post sporadically but everything they create is fantastic, very Lynchian but also tapping into a deep, untraceable sense of longing and loneliness with its relatively simplistic language. The whole aesthetic seeps effortlessly into the mind like a long, slow drift into deep sleep and just keeps on wandering further and further out. I have a very low attention span but their work always makes me stop and quietly reflect on the detail of each image.

That's great and it's the first submission in this thread that fits my understanding of Surrealism. That other stuff is more like Pop Art or at a stretch, Dadaism.

Chedney Honks

Yeah, I really like that. Never heard of it.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 04, 2021, 11:18:45 AM
That's great and it's the first submission in this thread that fits my understanding of Surrealism. That other stuff is more like Pop Art or at a stretch, Dadaism.

ok pop-art dada meme thread then lol. i prob just used the word surrealist as synonymous with abstract whatever irrespective of that actual artistic discipline but i assumed it would at least make sense and they still dabble in the uncanny and the unexpected

also that's great stuff Mollusk

dissolute ocelot

I'm still into conspiracy theory memes. Drawing a lot of pyramids with eyes, and pigeons. Adam Curtis would probably not like.