Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:39:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Should I sell my Complete On the Corner?

Started by kalowski, February 21, 2021, 07:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

I digitised my CD collection a few years ago. I love the Complete On the Corner box and booklet, but I never, ever look at it, so maybe I don't "love it". I can listen to it whenever I want.
There a very few copies on eBay, and they are on for £285-£350!
I should sell, shouldn't I?

Brundle-Fly

Play the whole thing while reading the booklet. Then, sell the collection on eBay. Next pay that bill or buy that thing. Celebrate by listening to the album again. Your life will continue satisfactorily without this item tucked away on the shelf. 

Says the man, who ages ago discovered he's got an album (that he doesn't even like much) that was last sold on Discogs for £427 and still hasn't considered selling because...well, because...

Are there any really stand out tracks from that set that weren't on any of the associated albums? I love the obvious highlights like Black Satin and He Loved Him Madly but I've never heard any of those unreleased tracks.

kalowski

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on February 21, 2021, 08:59:38 PM
Are there any really stand out tracks from that set that weren't on any of the associated albums? I love the obvious highlights like Black Satin and He Loved Him Madly but I've never heard any of those unreleased tracks.
This is a good point. The released tracks are the best versions. This is just a cool box.
Think I'll sell it.

purlieu

I highly encourage people to sell stuff they don't actively listen to. Owning stuff just to own stuff is unhealthy[nb]Only partially joking there.[/nb].

chveik

yeah get rid. not a big fan of those miles boxsets, ted macero did a great job of editing the sessions

purlieu

Quote from: chveik on February 21, 2021, 10:51:40 PM
yeah get rid. not a big fan of those miles boxsets, ted macero did a great job of editing the sessions
As a former super deluxe boxset addict, I'd say this is true for most of the bloody things. The b-sides are always worth having together in one place, but none ever have more than one or two truly worthwhile offcuts, alternate takes or demos. The White Album is the only set of studio takes I've ever bothered returning to more than once or twice.
Once you start buying them, though, with their lovely books that are fascinating on first read, and their pretty spines on the shelf, it's easy to start thinking they're more worthwhile than they actually are. I see people in the comment section on SuperDeluxeEdition.com who consider buying 10CD boxsets of artists they've never even heard of, just because the boxes look good value.
The most ludicrous I've seen is probably Metallica's ...And Justice for All, an 11CD, 4DVD, 6LP box including a CD with 15 tracks of James Hetfield coming up with the riffs. There are undoubtedly superfans out there who will love discovering every aspect of the creation of the album, but unless you're one of those, it just takes overkill to an entirely new level.

On the opposite end, you get the Pink Floyd Immersion box sets, with more effort spent into making scarves and marbles for the box than actually sourcing interesting musical material - only two tracks from the Household Objects sessions ended up released, for example. Just daft.

So yeah, unless you're a Miles Davis superfan who is fascinated by the way the album was made, and you largely listen to music on CD, it's pretty much worthless.

buttgammon

Although I've enjoyed listening to the original sessions, my favourite thing about them is that they emphasise the extraordinary work Macero did in putting everything in a new order (or disorder).

Famous Mortimer

I should sell my Beck "Golden Feelings" cassette, it was listed on Discogs at some ridiculous price. And I've not played it in years and I don't like Beck very much any more.

easytarget

Quote from: purlieu on February 21, 2021, 11:10:16 PM

The most ludicrous I've seen is probably Metallica's ...And Justice for All, an 11CD, 4DVD, 6LP box including a CD with 15 tracks of James Hetfield coming up with the riffs. There are undoubtedly superfans out there who will love discovering every aspect of the creation of the album, but unless you're one of those, it just takes overkill to an entirely new level.
yeeesh.
I like Metallica but that album already sounds like a fucking 'making of' - here's 9+ minutes of riffs, well, 2 riffs played in slightly different mathematical  orders. I am curious about about what didn't make it on to the VERY LONG record."Ah this 36+ minute version of Harvester of Sorrow[nb]Language of the Maaaaad![/nb] is a bit fucking much"

If there was a 100 CD package called "This is how we done Ride The Lightening" - different story.

kalowski

Of course, I'm working on the assumption that there's a market for the damn thing.

Pauline Walnuts

There's alway the who really wants to listen to 34 versions of Loose anyway? Of The Complete Fun House Sessions
https://www.discogs.com/release/800834

Or maybe something like this?

https://www.discogs.com/King-Crimson-Larks-Tongues-In-Aspic-The-Complete-Recordings/release/4010328

On the opposite end, you get the Pink Floyd Immersion box sets, with more effort spent into making scarves and marbles for the box than actually sourcing interesting musical material - only two tracks from the Household Objects sessions ended up released, for example. Just daft.

And the original Roger Water Waters The Wall demos, well, about 12 seconds from each of them. Not quite sure what the point of that was. Still, Marbles!

Talking about Pink Floyd, I thought I was a big fan of the early stuff, until I heard the Early Years Box set, I think I gave up about 4 or was it 5 discs in?

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: kalowski on February 22, 2021, 07:37:57 AM
Of course, I'm working on the assumption that there's a market for the damn thing.

I'll buy it for 4.59 EUR.

I think there will be a market for it, as these things are pretty much made to be collectibles.   

purlieu

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on February 22, 2021, 07:11:31 PM
Talking about Pink Floyd, I thought I was a big fan of the early stuff, until I heard the Early Years Box set, I think I gave up about 4 or was it 5 discs in?
There's a good 2 or 3 CD set in there, basically all the non-album singles, Embryo, the unreleased soundtrack work and a couple of demos and WIPs. But it's such a fucking slog trying to sit through it all. Can't imagine many people thought "oh good, another version of Atom Heart Mother, the next 25 minutes are going to fly by!"

Still, the Later Years box looks even worse. No actual new songs, just remixes and edits and new mixes and endless live material. I almost considered buying it at one point, which shows how dangerous an addiction these pretty boxes are.

There are undoubtedly a couple of hundred people who'll love going through them time and time again, the issue is the number they have to manufacture to make them profitable.

The Floyd back catalogue has always been dealt with pretty badly though. Compare almost any of these boxes, which have big hardback books about the making of the album, with the bloody beermats and collectors cards and other shit. The whole Floyd catalogue would have been far better served by doing expanded 2CD sets for each album, with every non-album track of the era, a couple of demos, a couple of live tracks. All the genuinely worthwhile material would have been more than well represented like that, rather than standalone era boxes overstuffed with repetitive boredom, and three album boxes with almost no interesting material on.

kalowski

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on February 22, 2021, 07:28:04 PM
I'll buy it for 4.59 EUR.

I think there will be a market for it, as these things are pretty much made to be collectibles.
I hope so, I just bought a boat!

Janie Jones

Don't forget to apply the 'sold' filter when looking for what stuff actually sells for. It's usually a fraction of what some chancers are asking for it. God loves a tryer and there's no reason not to to put your item up for sale for top dollar, if you're in no hurry. But if you want to actually make some cash within a reasonable time frame out of flogging off your box sets, you need to be realistic. The OP's box set might fetch a quarter of the price he mentioned

Magnum Valentino

Based on recent sold listings you can expect between 120 and 150 for it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: purlieu on February 22, 2021, 07:54:23 PM
There's a good 2 or 3 CD set in there, basically all the non-album singles, Embryo, the unreleased soundtrack work and a couple of demos and WIPs. But it's such a fucking slog trying to sit through it all. Can't imagine many people thought "oh good, another version of Atom Heart Mother, the next 25 minutes are going to fly by!"

Still, the Later Years box looks even worse. No actual new songs, just remixes and edits and new mixes and endless live material. I almost considered buying it at one point, which shows how dangerous an addiction these pretty boxes are.

There are undoubtedly a couple of hundred people who'll love going through them time and time again, the issue is the number they have to manufacture to make them profitable.

The Floyd back catalogue has always been dealt with pretty badly though. Compare almost any of these boxes, which have big hardback books about the making of the album, with the bloody beermats and collectors cards and other shit. The whole Floyd catalogue would have been far better served by doing expanded 2CD sets for each album, with every non-album track of the era, a couple of demos, a couple of live tracks. All the genuinely worthwhile material would have been more than well represented like that, rather than standalone era boxes overstuffed with repetitive boredom, and three album boxes with almost no interesting material on.

After 5 years not buying much at all due to marriage restraints. I just splashed out on the Steve Hillage boxed set - haven't opened it, probably never will. Always dreaming of buying that house and having my 'listening room'. Won't happen will it.

kalowski

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 25, 2021, 08:08:52 AM
Based on recent sold listings you can expect between 120 and 150 for it.
Wow. I'd settle for £50 so that would be amazing. Here's hoping!

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 21, 2021, 08:24:48 PM

Says the man, who ages ago discovered he's got an album (that he doesn't even like much) that was last sold on Discogs for £427 and still hasn't considered selling because...well, because...

I've got a few records like that. Albums which I don't especially love, they're worth a couple of hundred each, but for some reason I don't feel like selling them. I guess, on a subconscious level, we know that it won't be long before we can turn to those three figure records into four figure records.

purlieu

The Who are releasing a 112 track Super Deluxe Edition of The Who Sell Out. Get yer wallets out kids.

Johnboy

Yeh, get rid, won't be long before the Miles audience dies out

ok, i know that's a generalisation but isn't Elvis stuff losing value these days

kalowski

Quote from: Johnboy on February 26, 2021, 10:00:19 PM
Yeh, get rid, won't be long before the Miles audience dies out

ok, i know that's a generalisation but isn't Elvis stuff losing value these days
Yeah. I thought someone would love my Elvis box sets: 50s, 60s, 70s. Discogs suggested about £20.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: kalowski on February 26, 2021, 10:04:27 PM
Yeah. I thought someone would love my Elvis box sets: 50s, 60s, 70s. Discogs suggested about £20.

£18 for the 50s and £1 each for the 60s and 70s?

kalowski

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on February 26, 2021, 10:16:53 PM
£18 for the 50s and £1 each for the 60s and 70s?
Elvis's best period: 1968-1971. But that's for another thread.

Pauline Walnuts

Isn't it more the original Rock and Rollers generation, people like Gene Vincent?

Because Elvis is THE BESTEST EVA™, he still gets a lot of insane completists, the types who don't actually like music, but like collecting things. And go for the obvious. Like the Beatles.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: kalowski on February 27, 2021, 09:16:27 AM
Elvis's best period: 1968-1971. But that's for another thread.

Indeed.  It's not actually an opinion I hold, I was just trying to be funny.

kalowski

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on February 27, 2021, 01:06:18 PM
Indeed.  It's not actually an opinion I hold, I was just trying to be funny.
We'll have less of that round here, I think, laddie.