Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:24:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Statues... What You Got?

Started by Tony Tony Tony, February 21, 2021, 07:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

I don't know much about art etc.  However my town has this pair of characters marooned on a roundabout in the middle of an industrial estate. (For art aficionados they are called 'The Flying Men' by Elizabeth Frink).

I pass them often and am quite fond of them. The rascally locals often feeston them in amusing ways, football scarfs, shopping bags and recently face masks.

Wot y'all got?   

Jockice

Women Of Steel. Which are women made out of steel.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Preston has one outside the Student's Union (which I cannot find a picture of) that I like to call "The Razzle Pileup".

PlanktonSideburns

we got this lad, who is Lywellyn ap gruffydd,

rich landowner and party animal who supported the last prince of wales owain glyndwr in his violent war for indepenance, and got torn to shreds in front of his children by the cunt henry 4.0. hes actually from neighbouring cylycwm, but they got no castle, so no statue, loosers. was said of him that he "willingly preferred death to treachery", fair play to him.

would have been cool if the statue was of him getting torn to bits infront of his family, but i understand the council's objections to my proposal, even if they are wrong. 7/10 statue

then theres this one of a welsh drover:

love this one, as this is how i like to imagine the old timey sheep people: stinking 3rd gen wax covered coat that stands up by its self, steely, shortarsed hard-bastards, getting battered by the rain, rolling around with bandits in quarries on the way home with a year's worth of sheep money stuffed down their pants. this is the sort of statue i like: ones of the little man 9/10 statue

PlanktonSideburns

also love the one of aneurin bevan in cardiff looking rotound and determined, an imovable dwarfish object in a world of treacherous elves 10/10 statue

Dex Sawash

bgmnts

Fair play that drover has some large feet.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bgmnts on February 21, 2021, 10:25:21 PM
Fair play that drover has some large feet.

its for stuffing all that london money in after driving all your sheep downtown at the end of the year
and for kicking in the heads of the banditos who try it on on the way home, Twm Sion Cati tried that shit on him back in the day, those big drover boots booted him so hard he had to live in a cave in rhandyrmwyn. thats a fuckin dark side of the valley, that

first bank in wales was started in this town, drovers being the first welsh lads to understand the value of not having to carry all your cash round with you. would love to be there when one of those tri-corner chancers jumed out from behind a hedge, and evans was all like 'not your lucky life boy, its all online now, youle have to go sell yourself on onlyfans to get on now'

there are now no banks in llandovery, first time since the first bank got put together. the bank has been the site of the worst pub in the town for most of my life. not the shittest, roughest pub, but the most lifeless, conglomorate owned depressing atmos draining place. probably the ghosts of all them bankers

farmers wear trainers now mostly, subsidised to the point of vegetation, rotting, looking at their father's tools, only vauge comprehension. rotting fences and forgotten histories, they get all their food from the co-op, their sheep lack purpose

studpuppet

I cycled round Harlow New Town during the summer (holiday to take but nowhere to go). They've got something like 100 scupltures dotted around the place, most near the civic/town centre, but my favourites were:

1. Barbara Hepworth's Contrapuntal Forms in front of some social housing (council tried to re-house it but the residents fought for it to remain in its original position).

2. Big fuck-off metal woman (Energise by Clare Bigger) outside the leisure centre.

3. Black Lives Matter (Leon Underwood's Not In Anger) in the middle of a down-at-heel shopping centre.

4. Julia by Gerda Rubenstein - the original was sited here until some twat of a resident reversed into it and knocked it over, Now it's a cast (original now in the town museum).

PlanktonSideburns

fuck those are all great - did you take those pictures?

Julia's pose is great - not enough statues look like theyre feeling really good about themselves, or are in their natural element

Contrapuntal Forms look like ones egging the other one on to talk to someone they fancy

Energise is clearly running back to the house party with a satellite dish

and the black power hand is real cool too

bgmnts

Was Energise made after Terminator 2 or before?

Rizla

One of these 6 Anthony Gormley lads stands in a nondescript stretch of the water of leith behind some warehouses near me, quite like it I suppose.

Leith also boasts the only statues of Queen Victoria and Robert Burns in Edinburgh.

(The window in the bottom left is my old living room)

I'm just old enough to remember this bit of modern urban art that stood in a roundabout at the top of Leith Walk - it had all coloured fluorescent tubes that were meant to change colour in the wind but it never worked, everyone hated it and it got binned around 84/85.

There's a quite good Paolozzi sculpture of a big foot there now to make up for it.

Mostly army cunts on horses apart from that.

studpuppet

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 21, 2021, 10:52:15 PM
fuck those are all great - did you take those pictures?

Yes - a little Rollei 35 with some Ilford XP2 B/W film which is cheap to process because a colour developing machine can do it.

Quote from: bgmnts on February 21, 2021, 10:53:07 PM
Was Energise made after Terminator 2 or before?

After (2010)

A couple more photos:

Another view of Contrapuntal Forms

Chiron by Mary Spencer Watson

Upright Motive No. 2 by Henry Moore[nb]His studio is in a village down the road, so not surprising he's represented here.[/nb]

Family Group by Henry Moore

Eve by Auguste Rodin (yes, that Rodin)

Well worth going on a walk if you're ever at a loose end, especially if like me, you're fascinated by how well you can fuck up New Town planning from a standing start.

https://www.harlow.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/Harlow%20Sculpture%20Trail.pdf

idunnosomename

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 21, 2021, 10:03:31 PM
Preston has one outside the Student's Union (which I cannot find a picture of) that I like to call "The Razzle Pileup".
where's this? i can rant about the Martyrs' Memorial

four men were killed in 1842 and what we get is three gumbies getting shot in the goolies

kids swing off the rifles though

i hate trad statues to great man but this is somehow even shittier. i mean purely aesthetically it's not too bad but it's got so little to do with the historical event it's kinda offensive imo

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The one I'm on about is near 53 Degrees. It's on the pavement on that street.

Buelligan

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 21, 2021, 10:36:53 PM
its for stuffing all that london money in after driving all your sheep downtown at the end of the year
and for kicking in the heads of the banditos who try it on on the way home, Twm Sion Cati tried that shit on him back in the day, those big drover boots booted him so hard he had to live in a cave in rhandyrmwyn. thats a fuckin dark side of the valley, that

first bank in wales was started in this town, drovers being the first welsh lads to understand the value of not having to carry all your cash round with you. would love to be there when one of those tri-corner chancers jumed out from behind a hedge, and evans was all like 'not your lucky life boy, its all online now, youle have to go sell yourself on onlyfans to get on now'

there are now no banks in llandovery, first time since the first bank got put together. the bank has been the site of the worst pub in the town for most of my life. not the shittest, roughest pub, but the most lifeless, conglomorate owned depressing atmos draining place. probably the ghosts of all them bankers

farmers wear trainers now mostly, subsidised to the point of vegetation, rotting, looking at their father's tools, only vauge comprehension. rotting fences and forgotten histories, they get all their food from the co-op, their sheep lack purpose

Still, fair play to you, you got some nice twisties for a Buell between you and Brecon, up by Halfway, lovely stuff, with the hazel and the little river running past.

buttgammon

This one had to be moved because she was constantly being vandalised:

Some strange person was prosecuted for repeatedly vandalising him:

Why would you bother vandalising statues when this monstrously awful sculpture of Wilde effectively vandalises itself?

timebug

There are a bunch of 'heads' peeping from the ground,aroumnd a tree in one of our local roads. My avatar is in fact, one of them! They were made to commemorate a prison escape, by tunnel from what was then our local gaol. It has since been a greyhound racing track, and is currently a gated community for poshoes with more money than sense.

cosmic-hearse

Cheeky Henry Moore in Greenwich Park. These look much better in situ than in a museum.

A very literal Catford monument, built as part of Owen Luder's redevelopment of the area

Spoon of Ploff

This fella in Waterfields Recreation Ground, Watford.

I like him because blue tits have been known to nest in his head.

cosmic-hearse

There's also this in Lewisham, which looks very postwar but was actually erected in the grim postmodern interregnum 1990s, surprisingly.

The building it sits outside is an former office block turned apartments. It was one of Harlow town planner Frederick Gibberd's last buildings and is quite lovely.

Some nice Louis Kahn-style details here

Buelligan

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on February 22, 2021, 09:48:05 AM
This fella in Waterfields Recreation Ground, Watford.

I like him because blue tits have been known to nest in his head.

We have an late eighteenth century cookie-cutter metal Jesus on the Cross with blue tits nesting in a hole in his back.  It makes me happy to imagine their brexitised bretheren doing similar.

Beth's Arch off the Black Country Route. Named after Elisabeth, the huge blast furnace at Bilston Steelworks that dominated the local skyline until it was decommissioned and torn down in 1980.

dissolute ocelot

Glenrothes is the place to be (ironically they also manufacture guided bombs there)!

Thomas

Norton Canes

In our nearby coastal haven:

Not sure why the sculptor insisted on the birdwatching gear (do twitchers habitually sport plus-fours?) but the pose is spot-on. Fun for the punters.

studpuppet

Not forgetting this, in a back garden near Penrith.

A man can't fly, which I heard some students describe, reasonably accurately, as 'naff'.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 22, 2021, 10:33:46 AM
In our nearby coastal haven:

Not sure why the sculptor insisted on the birdwatching gear (do twitchers habitually sport plus-fours?) but the pose is spot-on. Fun for the punters.
really one of the few livesize realistic statues which is really good. nothing uncanny valley about it at all. the exploitable photo op too, but it looks good on its own. i dont think anyone dislikes it

greenman