Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:33:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Statues... What You Got?

Started by Tony Tony Tony, February 21, 2021, 07:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Thomas on February 22, 2021, 10:31:15 AM

'don't start owt mate'

Reckon that one could have a pair to challenge our bull

Norton Canes

I love this one, tucked away by our law courts. It's by Shawn Williamson who is now a sculptor of some repute but this was his first commission and apparently he's a bit embarrassed that he just basically scratched on the face details.

Not sure what it's supposed to be doing.

idunnosomename

Petey Pate

Quote from: https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/artist-saves-council-400k-margaret-5028195An artist and sculptor believes he has saved taxpayers hundreds of thousands of pounds by creating and displaying his own statue of Margaret Thatcher in her hometown of Grantham.

MarkRobla, 34, placed the carved plaster head on a pike on top of the plinth at St Peter's Hill green at 4am on Sunday, February 21.

The authorities have spent £300,000 on a bronze statue of Britain's first female Prime Minister for the site after a proposal to erect it in London's Parliament Square was rejected.

Phil_A

Swindon has The Wish Hounds, named for the phantom hounds supposed to haunt Dartmoor (the legend of which said to've inspired The Hound Of The Baskervilles).

Does look a bit like they're doing a Canine Centipede here:

Mr Farenheit

Saigon has this memorial to the self-immolation of the monk Thích Quảng Đức.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Rizla on February 21, 2021, 11:09:31 PM

I'm just old enough to remember this bit of modern urban art that stood in a roundabout at the top of Leith Walk - it had all coloured fluorescent tubes that were meant to change colour in the wind but it never worked, everyone hated it and it got binned around 84/85.

Looks a bit like the thing the Everyman Statue stands on by the Embra City Council offices:

QuoteThere's a quite good Paolozzi sculpture of a big foot there now to make up for it.

There's also one of a hand with two grasshoppers shagging on it. Rude:

Norton Canes

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 22, 2021, 04:17:42 PM
Looks a bit like the thing the Everyman Statue stands on by the Embra City Council offices

Looks a lot like the wonky scaffolding we've got masquerading as sculpture on our campus:

Tony Tony Tony

Can't claim this as being in my locale, though I did used to drive that way (London Docklands) a fair bit until the plague hit.

This monstrosity is situated on a roundabout and confused the heck out of me first time I was there... waited hours for a full set of green lights to appear so I did.

Mr Banlon

Blue Jam

I used to visit the University of Warwick's campus quite often and would marvel at the pointlessness of their bit of kinetic art:

When they switch it on at night the top bit revolves and lights up. It's very noisy:

Here in Embra I'm a fan of our very own Tiny Rhino:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/paperback-bookshop-rhinoceros-head

Rizla

Is that rhino new? I don't think I've seen it before. RIP Jim Haynes though.

There's meant to be a gargoyle on one of the council buildings, I think on the high street, modelled after Mick Hucknall.

Mr Banlon

Got 'Nipper' the HMV dog just up the road.

Mr Eggs

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 22, 2021, 04:17:42 PM
Looks a bit like the thing the Everyman Statue stands on by the Embra City Council offices:

There's also one of a hand with two grasshoppers shagging on it. Rude:

Looks like the Philip Vaughan sculpture that used to be on the Hayward Gallery:

Blue Jam

Quote from: Rizla on February 22, 2021, 05:06:45 PM
Is that rhino new? I don't think I've seen it before. RIP Jim Haynes though.

The Tiny Rhino went up in 2012 apparently. I had thought it was a bit newer than that, I just remember it wasn't there when I moved to Embra in 2011. It's easily missed because it's pretty wee, but you can find it on the side of the Informatics Forum, on the Bristo Square side next to the gift shop. I like it and I can't not notice it whenever I walk past. The burnt book scupture which is the other half of the piece is by the pillars in front of the main entrance.

Also on Bristo Square, another bit of public art:

No deep meaning to this, it's just meant to look like someone carried a leaky pot of bronze paint across the square, and the bronze bits are also intended to get burnished as people walk over them. Nothing precious about this piece, like people being told not to boop Greyfriar's Bobby's snoot. I like that.

Attila

Quote from: Mr Banlon on February 22, 2021, 05:14:18 PM

Got 'Nipper' the HMV dog just up the road.

Yay! Nipper -- I taught a history of rock module for about a decade in a former life, and I spent way too much time on the early industry cos I love Nipper and that so much. There's a tiny stone Nipper in Bristol, too, because that's where he was from originally.

Mr Banlon

They're just finishing off the playground/square built around the Nipper statue at the old EMI factory.
https://twitter.com/Beadmans/status/1361253732760092672

non capisco

My imagination as a kid was captured by this nine foot thing which suddenly appeared overnight in a local orchard in the mid 80s and made the local TV news, the quicksilver minds of BBC Newsroom South East dubbing it 'Orchard Man'.

It was actually its near identical mate that appeared around the same time on a field near a roundabout in New Ash Green that I was truly fascinated by but I can't find a picture online of that one. I would crane my head to look at it for as long as possible when we were in the car driving past. It looked exactly like Orchard Man only it had a staff it was leaning on and it looked more depressed. And it had its cock out.

One day Orchard Man and Depressed Bald Man (DOES HE POST HERE AHAHA) disappeared as mysteriously as they had arrived.

It would be good if that was the end but life's always too prosaic, someone found the misery guts exhibitionist one in a ditch and it got propped in the local rugby club bar. I spent my teenage early drinking years laughing at it and realising why it looked depressed, it was hung like a gnat. From a spellbinding childhood mystery to being boorishly mocked by the very child it had once captivated. Stone me, what a life. 

studpuppet

I was reminded of this story I read at the beginning of the month - I love how one photo stimulated an entire investigation of the piece.

https://tinctureofmuseum.wordpress.com/2021/02/02/how-a-1980s-photograph-began-a-story/

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: studpuppet on February 23, 2021, 12:41:50 AM
I was reminded of this story I read at the beginning of the month - I love how one photo stimulated an entire investigation of the piece.

https://tinctureofmuseum.wordpress.com/2021/02/02/how-a-1980s-photograph-began-a-story/

What an utterly magnificent piece that blog is.

Thanks.

Attila

Quote from: Mr Banlon on February 22, 2021, 10:48:42 PM
They're just finishing off the playground/square built around the Nipper statue at the old EMI factory.
https://twitter.com/Beadmans/status/1361253732760092672

Cool! I used to go out there to the EMI Archive for work on Eldridge R Johnson and Nipper and that, but never got to see the factory (it's been in ruins for a long time).

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 22, 2021, 06:42:04 PM

No deep meaning to this, it's just meant to look like someone carried a leaky pot of bronze paint across the square, and the bronze bits are also intended to get burnished as people walk over them. Nothing precious about this piece, like people being told not to boop Greyfriar's Bobby's snoot. I like that.

Giving Greyfriars Bobby a nose rub is one of the highlights of a trip north of the border for me. It's an irresistible urge like patting John Betjamin on the belly as I pass through St Pancras.

Was also pleased to see how many sticks get placed on Bobby's grave. I took a pic when I was up there. I'll dig it out at some point.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 22, 2021, 10:33:46 AM
In our nearby coastal haven:

Not sure why the sculptor insisted on the birdwatching gear (do twitchers habitually sport plus-fours?) but the pose is spot-on. Fun for the punters.

Here's its somewhat less life like partner in Morley High Street in Leeds.

It's not popular.

steve98

Wasn't that popular when he was alive.

canadagoose

Quote from: Rizla on February 21, 2021, 11:09:31 PM
One of these 6 Anthony Gormley lads stands in a nondescript stretch of the water of leith behind some warehouses near me, quite like it I suppose.

Leith also boasts the only statues of Queen Victoria and Robert Burns in Edinburgh.

(The window in the bottom left is my old living room)
Bloody hell, that must have been a lively location. Wouldn't like to live on the Kirkgate myself - too much mayhem!

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Gulftastic on February 24, 2021, 05:35:52 PM
Here's its somewhat less life like partner in Morley High Street in Leeds.

It's not popular.

Was intrigued by this so I looked it up. Amazingly it has its own trip advisor page and is rated 12 of 17 things to do in Morley... christ knows what those lower down the list were.

Also seems the connection with Morley is that little Ern once won a talent contest there in 1936, could it get any more tenuous?

Gulftastic

One of my best mates is Morley born and bred and still lives there, so I've been drinking round the place on a few occasions. I am genuinely stumped to think of 17 things to do in Morley, aside from pub crawling.