Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:12:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Joris Bohnson's Great Unlocking

Started by George Oscar Bluth II, February 22, 2021, 08:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theremin

O P E N Y O U R A R S E T H E P U B S

JamesTC

Everyone needs to hurry up and drink their piss so we can open up the pubs.

Cuellar

Lockdown 4: This Time It's Lockdown 4 to begin in... May I'm suggesting.

Fambo Number Mive

Secondary pupils to wear face masks in the classroom "for a limited period". A welcome U-turn of their previous policy of not recommending masks in the classroom.

Blue Jam

Indoor sports to allow crowds in from May. I'm supposed to be going to the Crucible in April. Baws.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: Cuellar on February 22, 2021, 05:59:12 PM
Lockdown 4: This Time It's Lockdown 4 to begin in... May I'm suggesting.

I reckon June for the third wave to get building (there'll be a good period of "herd immunity" after the last couple of month's infections) and a complete insistence on not locking down again, until it's way too late, culminating in a September lockdown (once they've got the summer holiday money).

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteT-minus 15 minutes
It's not long now until UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson talks to the country about his plan for easing England's lockdown.

He'll face questions from the public and from journalists.

Grab your popcorn and we'll take you through all tonight's action from Downing Street.

It's all a game to these people isn't it?

QuoteLabour's Emma-Lewell Buck asks why people will have to wait until mid-April to meet up with other people outside in a pub or restaurant, when meeting up in a park will be allowed before then.

"They simply cannot see the logic behind this," she says, adding that hospitality businesses are a regulated environment where owners have taken steps to make themselves "Covid secure".

In reply, Boris Johnson says simply that "the logic lies in containing a pandemic, and I think people in this country understand that".

Perhaps Buck could call for an announcement of the extension of furlough to 2022 and other improvements to businesses rather than trying to get Johnson to open up faster.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's a sub-dogshit argument as well. Even if we ignore the trotted out bollocks that hospitality is covid secure.

Learn the word gradual, understand what R rate actually means then come back and ask the PM something fucking useful you shit cunt.

BlodwynPig

Where is that popcorn 'bit' from. Remember a couple of decades ago when people were decrying the 'dumbing down' of society. They never knew they had it so good with the Teletubbies presenting World in Action.

Fambo Number Mive

The popcorn quote is from the BBC News livefeed.

Johnson getting people's hopes up again in his address to the nation.

JamesTC

Feel like shit, just want them to tell everybody to drink their own piss.

idunnosomename

I mean it's not that far off Sam Smiths eh! eh! EH! remember that!

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 22, 2021, 02:11:45 PM
Is anyone going to ask Joris why he isn't taking into account that the fall in cases have stagnated? Can't see cases getting much lower than 8,000 per day by 8th March. It's far to early to open schools fully.

Infection numbers are largely unimportant at this point. It's the amount of people in hospital that will be the main measure of progress or otherwise.

BlodwynPig

jobotic

Were there any questions about criminality and looting of public funds at the press conference? Peston and Kuennsberg must have been right on it.

Or was it more "have you had a haircut? It looks great"

frajer

Ugh yeah, disappointing as always to see his calculatedly dishevelled hair doing a storming round on social media.

Yep, it looks like a chemo wig fucking a thatched roof on a low-res webcam, can we focus on him doing his job now.

Captain Z

Got to be getting his head round those questions for me, Clive.

BritishHobo

Bold move to name a specific date with 21st June, even with the addendum of 'at the earliest'. A lot of people are gonna have their eyes on that date now, and I can't imagine there'll be a lot of understanding if it whizzes by with England still in lockdown.

olliebean

For all the talk of "data not dates," he's still pretty much promised specific dates for everything and it's quite clear that those dates are fixed in his head, and he'll have to be talked out of sticking to them if the data doesn't back them up.

Quote from: olliebean on February 22, 2021, 10:30:36 PM
For all the talk of "data not dates," he's still pretty much promised specific dates for everything and it's quite clear that those dates are fixed in his head, and he'll have to be talked out of sticking to them if the data doesn't back them up.

The mistake is interpreting "data not dates" to mean the R number, whereas the two slides Whitty showed yesterday were purely concerned with the ages of people most likely to be hospitalised and die.

Based on that, the "data" being referred to is how many over 50s they can get vaccinated. The rest of us will just have to take our chances until it's our turn.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on February 22, 2021, 09:06:17 PM
Infection numbers are largely unimportant at this point. It's the amount of people in hospital that will be the main measure of progress or otherwise.

Isn't it quite important to keep infection numbers low to reduce the chances of a vaccine-resistant mutation?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: olliebean on February 22, 2021, 10:30:36 PM

With death rates once more spiking over 1000 a day, the Prime Minister says "Dates are dates mate, I said 21st June, 21st June it is - OPEN THE PUBS".

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 23, 2021, 08:09:53 AM
Isn't it quite important to keep infection numbers low to reduce the chances of a vaccine-resistant mutation?

Seems we are going around in circles now, doesn't it.

buttgammon

Perhaps the most extraordinary thing about this is the 'wot about are brave flat-roofed pubs' wing of the Tory party saying this is too slow and cautious. Libertarianism is a death cult.

olliebean

From what they've said, sounds to me like they're not especially bothered about preventing new variants, although there is a contingency for not opening the lockdown door any further after a vaccine-resistant variant has already squeezed through.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: olliebean on February 23, 2021, 08:36:52 AM
From what they've said, sounds to me like they're not especially bothered about preventing new variants, although there is a contingency for not opening the lockdown door any further after a vaccine-resistant variant has already squeezed through.

Just in the process of trying to close the door - my first task after an extended break from work. But, you know what would really really help it work - if there is no MIXING in the wider community where variants have been identified. Hence, we have to work super super speedy now.

olliebean

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 23, 2021, 08:38:35 AM
Just in the process of trying to close the door - my first task after an extended break from work. But, you know what would really really help it work - if there is no MIXING in the wider community where variants have been identified. Hence, we have to work super super speedy now.

I'm guessing this makes the "everyone can go and mix with their friends again by this specific date at the earliest" rhetoric especially unhelpful

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 23, 2021, 08:09:53 AM

Yes, but when you consider that our borders will be open to countries that are miles behind us in vaccinating their populations, it's inevitable that new mutations will reach us anyway.

Captain Z

Every single newspaper is running a front page using the dates, not data, as concrete milestones that life will return to normal on June 21st.

Except the Daily Mail, which screams:

WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?!