Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:43:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Movies that aren't that good but everyone saw when they were a bit too young

Started by madhair60, February 22, 2021, 10:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

NoSleep

I'd say Star Wars, although I was not a kid myself when it came out (so was immediately aware that it it wasn't that good). I've always been puzzled at how people have grown up still obsessed with the film and even dragged their own children to the cinema when the 2nd batch appeared 20 years later.

Old Nehamkin

Bad Ambassador

Phil_A

Superman III. It's not the worst film in the franchise by a long way but I'm always amazed how many people come out to defend this based on the fact they loved it when they were kids. Watched as an adult it's a total mess.

BeardFaceMan

Jerzy Bondov

Basically anything that isn't The Bicycle Thieves or Meshes of the Afternoon or something I dunno

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I know Howard the Duck is meant to be infamously shit, but it seemed to be on telly loads when I was a kid and it wormed its way into my affections. It had giant scorpion monsters!

Also, that film with Madhair's mum in it.

Gregory Torso

I saw Battelship Potempkin when I was five and thought it was fucking brilliant but i'd be amazed if I could even get a semi over it now.

Mr Banlon

Cuellar

EOLAN

Quote from: Phil_A on February 22, 2021, 12:04:49 PM
Superman III. It's not the worst film in the franchise by a long way but I'm always amazed how many people come out to defend this based on the fact they loved it when they were kids. Watched as an adult it's a total mess.

I do tend to watch it as more of a Richard Pryor crime caper like See No Evil, Hear No Evil than an actual Superman film. If that makes any sense.

If we must play Madhair's grotty little game, I will admit that I only saw E.T. in its entirety a few years ago and I thought it was a bit dull.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Phil_A on February 22, 2021, 12:04:49 PM
I think people remember the Clark vs Bad Superman fight in the junkyard (which is great) and ignore the rest.

And the horrifying bit when the bad woman gets turned into a robot.

Pink Gregory

greenman

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on February 22, 2021, 03:20:51 PM
I think people remember the Clark vs Bad Superman fight in the junkyard (which is great) and ignore the rest.

Helps it was on TV so much as well, I don't think i'v watched the whole thing more than once or twice but I'v seen that many times.

I assume it must be cheaper for telly channels to purchase the rights to crap/flop films, hence so many seemed to be all over the telly when I was growing up. I must have seen Ghost Busters 2 half a dozen times on the telly when as a kid, but the first one was never on.

C_Larence

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 22, 2021, 03:24:30 PM
Disney's Hercules - outside of the concept art anyway.

Nah not having this. The soundtrack alone is perhaps the best of any Disney movie and James Woods' Hades is a terrific villain.

Dex Sawash

holyzombiejesus

Was going to say Betty Blue but even though I've not seen it for at least a couple of decades, I think that it'd still stand up. Fnarr.

Seriously though, beneath all the surface stuff that appealed so much to an impressionable Francophile horny teen, there's still a decent enough film there. I bet there are a couple of shitty European films from that era that gullible kids lapped up because they wanted to be 'arty'.

willbo

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 22, 2021, 04:07:12 PM
I assume it must be cheaper for telly channels to purchase the rights to crap/flop films, hence so many seemed to be all over the telly when I was growing up. I must have seen Ghost Busters 2 half a dozen times on the telly when as a kid, but the first one was never on.

I remember a film called "FX 2 - the deadly art of illusion" being on TV tons in the 90s, with no sniff of an FX 1.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 22, 2021, 09:05:40 PM
Seriously though, beneath all the surface stuff that appealed so much to an impressionable Francophile horny teen, there's still a decent enough film there. I bet there are a couple of shitty European films from that era that gullible kids lapped up because they wanted to be 'arty'.

I was cured of that interest after watching something called "sex is comedy"