Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:08:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Movies that aren't that good but everyone saw when they were a bit too young

Started by madhair60, February 22, 2021, 10:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

earl_sleek

Demolition Man

Sylvester Stallone does a poo in the future and has to swear a lot to wipe his backside.

holyzombiejesus

I'm not sure that I'd have liked Slacker so much if I'd watched it later in life. Don't think I was "too young" when I saw it, just don't think I'd have bought in to it so much if I was even a smidgen as cynical as I am today.

Slacker is a good film.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: St_Eddie on March 02, 2021, 08:44:30 PM
Why would that surprise you?  It's a pretty crappy movie, made a thousand times worse if one's familiar with the source material.

Yep.  Same basic premise as The Matrix but done in a way which is appealing to a more intellectual audience who aren't all that interested in seeing cool 90's people in trench coats and shades doing slow-mo fight sequences every 10 minutes.  Back in 1999, I hated The Matrix, but really liked The Thirteenth Floor.  I'll always give the latter a shout out whenever possible.  it deserves more recognition and quite frankly, The Matrix deserves less.

The Thirteenth Floor is a remake of 1970's German series World on a Wire, but it certainly didn't escape a good licking of badly-aged cyberpunk schlock.

The Matrix kinda already-dated when it came out because it was tacked on the end of that cheesy 90's tech/neo-noir stuff though and the bloody soundtrack didn't help much.

As for the Wachowski's output, I like Bound.

Ferris

Quote from: earl_sleek on March 02, 2021, 08:49:15 PM
Demolition Man

Sylvester Stallone does a poo in the future and has to swear a lot to wipe his backside.

Good shout. Seemed to always be on C4 in the '90s as well, guaranteeing an audience of children trying to figure what the seven shells could possibly be.

evilcommiedictator

Office Space.

Just go watch it now. It **** resonates more the older you get

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on March 02, 2021, 09:27:11 PM
Office Space.

Just go watch it now. It **** resonates more the older you get

It's OK I think. I still watch it occasionally. But I think a lot of what feels like ennui and desperation is just down to the fact Judge can't really do characters very well.

Idiocracy is a bigger swing and a miss.

The Culture Bunker

The first half or so of Office Space is fantastic, but it loses it's way with the whole 'heist' plot, as much as I enjoyed the Superman III reference. Jennifer Aniston was a bad bit of casting too.

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 02, 2021, 11:01:03 PM
Jennifer Aniston was a bad bit of casting too.

That very much came across as a studio mandate; "we have Jennifer Aniston on contract and your film needs a big name star to attract the audiences, so you're having her in your film, whether you like it or not".

sutin

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 02, 2021, 04:56:32 PM
Not a single mention of mediocre LL Cool J vehicle Deep Blue Sea? Seems like the archetype of this subgenre to me.

If it hadn't given us this masterpiece of '00s nonsensical hip hop ("my hat is like a sharks fin" over and over and over) then I'd say it was culturally worthless.

I saw Deep Blue Sea in the cinema on release and remember absolutely nothing about it, didn't even know LL Cool J was in it.

sutin

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 02, 2021, 11:01:03 PM
The first half or so of Office Space is fantastic, but it loses it's way with the whole 'heist' plot, as much as I enjoyed the Superman III reference. Jennifer Aniston was a bad bit of casting too.

I don't see the problem with Aniston being in that film, she played that role well.

sutin

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 02, 2021, 09:02:56 PM
I'm not sure that I'd have liked Slacker so much if I'd watched it later in life. Don't think I was "too young" when I saw it, just don't think I'd have bought in to it so much if I was even a smidgen as cynical as I am today.

Slacker is a good film.

Slacker is fantastic! Possibly the only movie I loved when I was 16 that I still like just as much! And Linklater only got better!

sutin

Quote from: willbo on February 24, 2021, 04:58:29 AM
I always feel upset that I didn't see The Goonies as a kid. I think I would have loved it. I didn't see it till my late 20s or something and even then just randomly on TV. I didn't see Princess Bride till then either, didn't even know about it till then in fact.

It's funny when you see a film like Casablanca or the Godfather where in some scenes, the dialogue is almost totally made up of lines which have passed into pop culture, to the point where it's difficult to follow what they actually mean in context.

I was 36 when I first saw The Goonies (hadn't even heard of it until about 2000). Found it average.

sutin

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 22, 2021, 03:18:17 PM
If we must play Madhair's grotty little game, I will admit that I only saw E.T. in its entirety a few years ago and I thought it was a bit dull.

I'd never seen it until last year and found it average at best.

Sebastian Cobb

If we're moving on to "kids films that didn't captivate you when you first saw them as an adult" my old housemate once stuck on Labarynth and it failed to compete with my phone for attention throughout most of it.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 03, 2021, 11:36:19 AM
If we're moving on to "kids films that didn't captivate you when you first saw them as an adult" my old housemate once stuck on Labarynth and it failed to compete with my phone for attention throughout most of it.

if my son doesn't sit transfixed through Labyrinth, he's grounded.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 02, 2021, 04:05:10 PM
Robocop is great. Watched it "recently" (about 4 years ago) and it stood up.

I saw Robocop 1 and 2 a month or two ago.  I'd seen the first one before a long time ago and couldn't remember any of it so it was like watching it for the first time, I'd not seen the 2nd one before.  I thought they were both ok.  I then looked it up and discovered there was a 3rd one.  Hopefully it resolves the storyline involving his wife, as that's the only good reason I can see for making a 3rd installment.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 03, 2021, 02:42:24 PM
I saw Robocop 1 and 2 a month or two ago.  I'd seen the first one before a long time ago and couldn't remember any of it so it was like watching it for the first time, I'd not seen the 2nd one before.  I thought they were both ok.  I then looked it up and discovered there was a 3rd one.  Hopefully it resolves the storyline involving his wife, as that's the only good reason I can see for making a 3rd installment.

Robocop 2 is a bit like Escape from LA where it was just far fetched and daft. Then history caught up.

Life imitates art eventually.

The Mollusk

Chedney Honks

Having watched it recently, I think elements of Labyrinth really stand up, personally.

There was a bit of discussion in the thread I started over Christmas. Quite an odd but interesting film in parts, lots of budding sexuality stuff going on which felt anachronistic and uncomfortable in the modern day, but also some truth to it. Sexuality can be a garbled mish mash, especially when you're growing up and exploring various feelings. As a coming of age story, there's also a lot of cruelty and selfishness to it which rings very true for teenagers.

A lot of the humour is kiddy and quite shit, to be honest, but there are also a couple of particularly good and slightly sinister characters. The puppet work is also variable but plenty of it is great. I watched it on UHD Blu-ray and there's a gorgeous, hazy, dreamlike atmosphere to a lot of the shots.

I'm not in a hurry to watch it again but I expect I will do at some point, so it'll stay on the shelf.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 02, 2021, 09:09:24 PM
The Thirteenth Floor is a remake of 1970's German series World on a Wire,

Is world on a wire good? i like fassbinder but been unsure on this one

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on March 03, 2021, 06:02:47 PM
Is world on a wire good? i like fassbinder but been unsure on this one

I quite liked it, quite gritty and moody. Although at the same time I can't really remember much of what happens in it.

willbo

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 03, 2021, 02:42:24 PM

If I remember correctly, the 90s low-budget Robocop tv show had some surprisingly good continuity following his wife and son - his young adult son became some kind of anti cyborg cop protester/activist I think

Yussef Dent

The first Matrix film should really have been The Second Renaissance Part One and Two shorts which are in The Animatrix. It evoked way more emotion and engagement to me than the first cinematic release. I think there has been some talk of that being the basis for any potential prequel.

Ferris

The Animatrix was the first film I torrented, I liked all the cartoons and that.

28 years etc etc

JaDanketies

Quote from: lazyhour on March 05, 2021, 03:07:41 PM
[nb]The Princess Bride[/nb]

I saw that for the first time as an adult just a few years ago and I loved it! At some outdoor movie screening. Couldn't believe I'd never watched it before; I think it's because of the girly title. And when he did the famous "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die" thing, the movie screen bollocksed up and there was some big technical problem. And I doubt many people cared as they'd seen it a load of times, but I was on tenterhooks and was gutted.

lazyhour

I saw it for the first time aged about 22, with a load of nerdy Americans and Canadians (we were all teaching English in Japan). They all found it absolutely hilarious and I'm afraid the disconnect between how much I was enjoying it and how much they were enjoying it just made me like it less.

AIBU?