Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:42:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mr Biffo / Digitiser2000 recent work

Started by Mobbd, February 22, 2021, 12:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Fuck me, two (yes two) minutes into this and I'm really, really laughing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VGVPRZRRc

"Third Bird."

And the "church" remark that I will not spoil.

Deep, system-cleansing laughs.

thugler

This has never quite clicked for me, despite being a fan of some of Biffo's work. Always found it funnier in writing rather than performed. Laugh free for 4 minutes and I gave up.

idunnosomename

he's been struggling in the past year (haven't we all). I can't stand the taste-test ones and don't watch them, the reading out wikipedia entries for toys content isn't great, but I'm happy he keeps making videos with Sanya, they often make me laugh. He had Paul Gannon back a couple a few months ago though for a couple of things and that pairing never fails to make me close to tears

Thosworth

Biffo and Gannon together are great - they essentially both become 13 year olds. No idea why they have so few subscribers compared to from-the-same-Venn-intersection Ashens. Best Digi moment is from The Show:
- The aim is to use a crane to move prawns into Nivvin's Pranny (Ganon's bucket)
- Larry Bundy Jr throws up at the smell of prawns
- Biffo seems convinced that Larry has a nose bleed

https://youtu.be/mUxk4V2Ym8w?list=PLdmivFeOI4qlXtXLVUqFodCxrjPP2J362&t=2200 (at 37mish)

Spudgun

Quote from: Thosworth on February 22, 2021, 06:14:18 PM
Biffo and Gannon together are great

I'll echo that 100%, and it's always funny when things inevitably descend into shambles. Also, Biffo mixing up Greta Thunberg with
Spoiler alert
Bella Emberg
[close]
recently had me laughing uncontrollably for the first time in ages.

madhair60

The first appearance of Beanus makes me laugh even thinking about it.

Agreed that Gannon is fantastic.

Natnar

Quote from: madhair60 on February 23, 2021, 09:20:27 AM

Agreed that Gannon is fantastic.

Gannon is great in most of the stuff he does/appears on. Cheapshow, his podcast with Eli Silverman is still my favourite podcast.

idunnosomename

The first Beanus appearance is great because of the contrast of Ashens' straightmanning (although he does do a few jokes and they land well) with Gannon's sheer disgust. I mean the videos are very hit and miss but the ramshackle improv'ing is what leads to brilliant moments like that

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: thugler on February 22, 2021, 02:16:39 PM
This has never quite clicked for me, despite being a fan of some of Biffo's work. Always found it funnier in writing rather than performed. Laugh free for 4 minutes and I gave up.

Same for me.  4 minutes and not a titter.

Digitiser is something very much of its time.  Transferring that humour to a different time/different medium doesn't work for me.

Although saying that, beyond the logo on the wall I saw no connection with that which I know to be Digitiser (the 90's teletext thing) and what I saw in the first few mins of that video.

idunnosomename

Well he's gone from having a games website (digitiser2000.com) to producing a professionally-shot six-part panel show that was loosely around video games a few years ago, to making regular YouTube content that has less and less to do with video games. there was also a live show in North London in 2019 which was very video-gamey. he's tried rebranding but no one wants him to so it never works out

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 23, 2021, 03:18:18 PM
he's tried rebranding but no one wants him to so it never works out

Aha, that's probably where I've been getting Biffo wrong then.  Whenever anyone posts a clip attached to the Digitiser name I usually come away from it thinking it bears no resemblance at all to the Digitiser I remember, and that probably clouds my judgment.

Mobbd

Ah well. Sorry folks! I loved it though.

thr0b

His videos are all great watches.  Sometimes a bit too long, so I have to be in the mood to start them, and then I can binge a few in a row.

It's a real shame he's not as big as or bigger than Ashens, who is basically rubbish - just him snarkily laughing at cheap toys or (what I find more offensive) being disgusted at cheap food.

Biffo is leagues ahead.

idunnosomename

if you think this is funny you've probably seen it already but this bit of biffo being an idiot and keying out his body to look like a floating head made me laugh like a drain. at least the first ten minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trh4gr6NrfE

Spoiler alert
Janet's feet must be in a TERRIBLE state
[close]

St_Eddie

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 05, 2021, 04:32:24 PM
if you think this is funny you've probably seen it already but this bit of biffo being an idiot and keying out his body to look like a floating head made me laugh like a drain. at least the first ten minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trh4gr6NrfE

A disembodied head named Tony Harris?  I wonder where they stole that idea from?

Natnar

Just bumping this thread cause the first episode of the second series of Digitiser is out

idunnosomename

interesting he got Paul Putner to play The Man! Pretty fun stuff, nice Gamesmaster vibe rather than the panel show thing he did before.

quite honestly I've gone off his other Digi content in the past year and haven't kept up at all. I think he works best when paired with Gannon as a live performer (rather than writer).

the first half of this cheapshow live crossover was pretty dull but the stupid Beanus play Rose has them doing in the last half with silly shit about Coq au Vin had me with tears in my eyes coming back on the motorway. lucky it was late at night so I didn't need to see.
https://www.thecheapshow.co.uk/ep-360-cheapitiser-live

madhair60

i see that fucking useless cunt guru larry is back

Video Game Fan 2000

does this have Eli yelling at people or not

idunnosomename

there was only a quick cutaway of fat sow shouting in this episode sadly

GMTV

Quote from: madhair60 on January 22, 2024, 12:41:18 AMi see that fucking useless cunt guru larry is back

What did he do wrong, dare I ask? I quite liked his YouTube videos about 5-10 years back. Some novel and obscure subjects about gaming, and he was reasonably funny with it. Completely forgot about him since.

thr0b

Quote from: GMTV on January 22, 2024, 10:04:17 AMWhat did he do wrong, dare I ask? I quite liked his YouTube videos about 5-10 years back. Some novel and obscure subjects about gaming, and he was reasonably funny with it. Completely forgot about him since.

Churns out content written by other people, badly researched, grifty. All the usual UK retro/games cliches.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: GMTV on January 22, 2024, 10:04:17 AMWhat did he do wrong, dare I ask?

He also got into a few weird beefs but I believe it's all part and parcel of being a Youtuber.

As a casual observer of Biffo-content, I can only offer the same observations as everybody else, talented guy but other than the live digi shows (where he's heavily relying on the interaction of others) I can never find the time to watch his stuff.

EDIT: Just saw above that the second series of Digi is out, why the fuck am I watching Baywatch.

Mobbd

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 22, 2024, 12:28:54 PMI can never find the time to watch his stuff.

I still think third bird is funny.

GMTV

Quote from: thr0b on January 22, 2024, 12:23:06 PMChurns out content written by other people, badly researched, grifty. All the usual UK retro/games cliches.

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 22, 2024, 12:28:54 PMHe also got into a few weird beefs but I believe it's all part and parcel of being a Youtuber.

Yeah fair enough on LBJ then. I was basing my opinion on finding his output of some 5-10 years ago mildly entertaining.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 22, 2024, 12:58:52 AMthere was only a quick cutaway of fat sow shouting in this episode sadly

well that's this doomed to failure

thr0b

Quote from: GMTV on January 22, 2024, 02:03:07 PMYeah fair enough on LBJ then. I was basing my opinion on finding his output of some 5-10 years ago mildly entertaining.

His output then was good.

These days, not so much. Well-produced visually, but a lot of surface and not much substance these days.

Still watch his stuff though.

Not like the other bloke who did a four hour video on a failed console which never made it to market. FOUR HOURS. It would've been drawn out at half an hour.