Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:42:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Daft Punk done

Started by madhair60, February 22, 2021, 02:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

it was a terrible name for a band but they did well so fair fucks

rue the polywhirl

Sebastian Cobb

What will be the sound of the summer this year then?

M-CORP

It's all a bit weird, I'd given up on the prospect of more Daft Punk years ago anyway, they hadn't done a lot since 2013's Random Access, and of course, they have no need to given how successful they've been. So odd to have it confirmed after all this time, especially in such a vague, anticlimactic way. Clip of Electroma on YouTube, statement to Pitchfork that does not cite a reason and isn't quoted firsthand. Way to end 28 years of one of the most popular dance acts on Earth.

Anyway...

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Petey Pate

If you've not heard of them then check out Get Lucky, sound of the summer.

Ferris

I liked their novelty hats. Not many bands you can say that about now that Devo have called it a day.

Rip.

popcorn

The act that introduced me to electronic music and sampling when I was a teen wedded to guitars. Didn't love their later stuff so much but still a bit sad.

Bet they reunite and release some surprise album in 10 years.

Captain Z

Bye then.

RAM was probably the biggest disappointment in electronic music history (with Human After All also somewhere in the top 10). But on the other hand, Limmy's live webcam review is one of my favourite things, so conflicted feelings about that.

Captain Z

Every so often when I need a chuckle I head over to the Random Access Memories Discogs page and do a quick comparison of the large number of (overwhelmingly gushing) reviews that mention the 'quality of the pressing' or 'supreme mastering' against the relatively tiny number of (much less positive) reviews that mention the actual musical content.

popcorn

Yes to me that album always sounded like music you'd hear playing on a gear demo in a guitar shop.

Captain Z

Music to calibrate your stereo to.

M-CORP

I always notice whenever I'm looking at stuff like Taylor Swift LPs on Discogs (again for a laugh), there's only a few reviews and most talk about the pressing and surface noise. Digression but I see where you're coming from Captain Z.

RAM had a couple of nice songs and certainly sounded like an ambitious project but was a bit too nostalgic, too 80s tribute, like it took these new influences such as Nile Rodgers' guitar playing and didn't do anything new or innovative with them. In hindsight it now reads like a duo desperately trying to shake up their sound, fighting against the dying of the light (they'd previously said they'd started the album in 2008 but felt it didn't sound new or different enough). It's Daft Punk in identity crisis.

But then their albums before were patchy as well, even with individual songs; for example Teachers opens with a nice cut-n-paste beat but I just can't listen to that stupid re-pitched vocal. Just listing the names of other artists that influenced the band? Like, what would've been wrong with a list in the liner notes?

BlodwynPig

Daft Punk, the commercial face of French House.

Check out Chateau Flight and I:Cube for the real stuff.

madhair60

I see we've decided that Random Access Memories was bad, then

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 22, 2021, 04:20:52 PM

just listened to these and they are shite

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 22, 2021, 04:20:52 PM

Then check out Heldon & Lard Free.

madhair60

Absorb the anus burn

Non Stop Dancer

That's it then is it. The old team, on the scrap heap?

madhair60

Captain Z

Quote from: M-CORP on February 22, 2021, 04:18:31 PM
I always notice whenever I'm looking at stuff like Taylor Swift LPs on Discogs (again for a laugh), there's only a few reviews and most talk about the pressing and surface noise.

I do appreciate that Discogs is a site for collectors of discs, so it can be useful to know which pressings have issues and which pressings are good to buy. But imo people who are obsessed with sonic quality to the point that musical content seems irrelevant are doing music wrong.

Quote from: Chris MorrisNo actual music, but so much production that you don't notice

earl_sleek

Quote from: madhair60 on February 22, 2021, 04:21:42 PM
I see we've decided that Random Access Memories was bad, then

I decided this years ago.

RenegadeScrew

Done since about 1997. 

Think they'd have been worth seeing back in the day, but alas I was 12 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL4lHwjX9pM

mobias

I did like them, so could see what the fuss was all about. That being said it always annoyed the tits off me that for Americans of a certain age dance music didn't exist until Daft Punk invented it when they played at Coachella in 2006. They truly spawned the devil with the American EDM scene. So thanks for that Daft Punk I'll never forgive you. Mind you, you did get the impression they never forgave themselves either. Maybe thats why they split up. 

I just knew he'd tweet this https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1363890790850850818?s=20

The Mollusk

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on February 22, 2021, 04:35:18 PM
That's it then is it. The old team, on the scrap heap?

"That's it, after all these years, so long and get lucky?"

"I don't recall saying get lucky."

mobias

I bet you they bring out another record in a few years. They could be ninety and wear those stupid robot costumes and no one would know the difference.

purlieu

Quote from: M-CORP on February 22, 2021, 04:18:31 PM
I always notice whenever I'm looking at stuff like Taylor Swift LPs on Discogs (again for a laugh), there's only a few reviews and most talk about the pressing and surface noise. Digression but I see where you're coming from Captain Z.
It's pretty much the case for any vinyl release on Discogs these days. At one point, the review section was actually full of reviews. These days it's a million-page reminder of how owning a vinyl collection in 2021 is frequently a daft idea.