Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:21:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Daft Punk done

Started by madhair60, February 22, 2021, 02:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenegadeScrew

Here is Johnny being daft enough, saying they "stopped using guitars because the Pixies only had a handful of albums and it's difficult to keep copying them. It's what we've done for so long".  https://youtu.be/w8CnE9dBrNw?t=149

So no, in that specific instance I was responding to something someone in Radiohead might well have said. 

And yeah, artists can be pretentious (although I'm not sure they are being here). I'm not saying they aren't honest in some responses.  I'm saying I don't take everything at face value.  Especially Yorke, who was often in a massive mood as per the documentary I referenced.

The Pixies were obviously a big massive influence on Radiohead.  But with OK Computer I wouldn't have said they just got 3rd time lucky and made something original while (again) trying to copy the Pixies.

I don't get how you'd view the reverse of this.  If I made a blatant rip off of Daft Punk's 'One More Time' and claimed to have never heard the original, and that I'd in fact been trying to copy my hero Erik Satie.  Would you believe me?

I'm pretty sure your ears would struggle to let you.

Captain Z

It might seem crazy what I'm about to say... but the lasting influence of RAM is probably relaunching Pharrell into the public consciousness and ensuring that 'Happy' will go down as the defining track of the 20-teens.

greenman

Homework perha[ps being a bit overlong does maybe need to be viewed in the context of the time, how many albums in the late 90's ended up near 80 mins long that actually needed to be?

Chedney Honks

It's not really intended as a home listening album, either, nor is it sequenced that way. I've heard literally every track out in a club at some point, besides the Funk Ad outro and the radio skit. Rock 'n' Roll got one of the best reactions I've ever seen. Pure sweaty pounding and roaring. What a track.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Captain Z on March 01, 2021, 04:03:26 PM
It might seem crazy what I'm about to say... but the lasting influence of RAM is probably relaunching Pharrell into the public consciousness and ensuring that 'Happy' will go down as the defining track of the 20-teens.
Blurred Lines was already a big hit before Get Lucky came out, wasn't it?

buzby

Quote from: peanutbutter on March 01, 2021, 07:37:56 PM
Yes, but if anything Get Lucky made people forget his involvement in the shitstorm surrounding that track.

The Mollusk

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on March 01, 2021, 03:56:32 PM
Here is Johnny being daft enough, saying they "stopped using guitars because the Pixies only had a handful of albums and it's difficult to keep copying them. It's what we've done for so long".  https://youtu.be/w8CnE9dBrNw?t=149

So no, in that specific instance I was responding to something someone in Radiohead might well have said. 

And yeah, artists can be pretentious (although I'm not sure they are being here). I'm not saying they aren't honest in some responses.  I'm saying I don't take everything at face value.  Especially Yorke, who was often in a massive mood as per the documentary I referenced.

The Pixies were obviously a big massive influence on Radiohead.  But with OK Computer I wouldn't have said they just got 3rd time lucky and made something original while (again) trying to copy the Pixies.

I don't get how you'd view the reverse of this.  If I made a blatant rip off of Daft Punk's 'One More Time' and claimed to have never heard the original, and that I'd in fact been trying to copy my hero Erik Satie.  Would you believe me?

Cannot be arsed to keep back and forthing this, there's only so much semantics my attention deficit can handle before I get bored and tap out, soz

Captain Z

Quote from: peanutbutter on March 01, 2021, 07:37:56 PM

Honestly didn't know Pharrell was on that track, Robin Ince Thicke is the only name I associate with it.

Quote from: Captain Z on March 02, 2021, 09:50:42 AM
Honestly didn't know Pharrell was on that track, Robin Ince Thicke is the only name I associate with it.

He wrote and produced it.

lipsink

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on March 01, 2021, 12:00:51 PM
If they said that, it's a perfect example of an artist chatting rubbish really probably to amuse themselves.  It's a piss poor attempt to copy Shadow.  I mean it barely samples anything, doesn't have any hip-hop beats, and is covered in Yorke singing.

The track 'How to Disappear Completely' is a particularly laughable attempt to nail DJ Shadow's sound.

It's silly that Jonny Greenwood knows how to score a film that sounds like a film score, but when he tries to sound like DJ Shadow, he makes stuff like the title track on Kid A using MaxMSP. 

Thom & Jonny on a Pixies documentary say they made Kid A because "the Pixies had already done everything with guitars".  Which is another take with a pinch of salt comment.

Was it not Airbag and Paranoid Android that was Radiohead copying DJ Shadow? You can definitely hear it in the bass and sampled drums. It sounded messy but I thought they managed it quite well.

phantom_power

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on March 01, 2021, 03:56:32 PM

It is entirely possible, if not blindingly obvious, that Johnny was being self-deprecating with the Pixies comment. They don't really sound much like them at all beyond Creep being quiet/loud/quiet

Chedney Honks

You can make any series of words mean whatever you want if you will it so.

buzby

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 02, 2021, 09:54:02 AM
He wrote and produced it.
And sang backing vocals on it and appeared in the video alongside Thicke, groping the topless models.

Quote from: lipsink on March 02, 2021, 10:29:44 AM
Was it not Airbag and Paranoid Android that was Radiohead copying DJ Shadow? You can definitely hear it in the bass and sampled drums. It sounded messy but I thought they managed it quite well.
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,85317.msg4479012.html#msg4479012

phantom_power

Quote from: Chedney Honks on March 02, 2021, 10:33:17 AM
You can make any series of words mean whatever you want if you will it so.

Yeah, and why's that then?

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: phantom_power on March 02, 2021, 10:31:10 AM
It is entirely possible, if not blindingly obvious, that Johnny was being self-deprecating with the Pixies comment. They don't really sound much like them at all beyond Creep being quiet/loud/quiet

Exactly. Hence why I don't take it everything everyone says at face value.  And you've pretty much dismissed the "copying the Pixies" in exactly the same way I dismissed "copying DJ Shadow" (which was never said) and was called naïve for doing so.

The Culture Bunker

I'm still chuckling over the example on a previous page of Yorke evoking that old music critic cliché of having to pull the car over to prevent crashing while listening to something amazing.

popcorn

He is a bit of a ham.

holyzombiejesus

Wow. Just seen the 4 studio albums are all going for around £100 and upwards on Discogs! Will be amazed if these aren't repressed by the end of the year.

Custard

Yeah, can definitely see a reissue campaign, and probably some kind of hits package before this year is out. They'd be, ho ho, DAFT not to!

jobotic

What the fuck goes on at Discogs?

Da Funk 12" was about 7 quid when I looked a while back, it says median price sold at is £12.43.

There's now four for sale between £350 and £8.500! Presumably people are just taking the piss.

My copy is yours for a grand btw.

Hundhoon

I Saw them at Global Gathering 2006 , 3 months after the Coachella performance which propelled them for some mysterious reason,  ,Robot Rock felt like it went on for 20 minutes. So coarse and repetitive. Got fucking annoying
I'm glad they got huge I just did not understand why then

I didn't like a thing they did after Discovery.  1995-2001 however they were really, ace. However still think Dig Your Own Hole was best big dance record of 1997.

Alive 1997 blew me away when I first heard it,  exhilirating, probs favourite thing they didl I iked the transition to a slightly more pop orientated sound with Discovery. Really Great act for few years,