Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:40:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Daft Punk done

Started by madhair60, February 22, 2021, 02:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: mobias on February 22, 2021, 05:01:54 PM
I bet you they bring out another record in a few years. They could be ninety and wear those stupid robot costumes and no one would know the difference.
It might not even be them. Like the Dread Pirate Roberts of French dance music.

Bronzy

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 22, 2021, 03:41:22 PM
I liked their novelty hats. Not many bands you can say that about now that Devo have called it a day.

Rip.

There's that bloke that has a marshmallow head, he should team up with that mouse lad.

imitationleather

Pretty sure everyone except Boston Crab realised Random Access Memories was a pile of shit straightaway.

mobias

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 22, 2021, 05:10:38 PM
It might not even be them. Like the Dread Pirate Roberts of French dance music.

Back when they last toured in 2007 there was a rumour it sometimes wasn't them who were up on stage. Would anyone care? I saw them when they played at the Rockness festival that year and we all wondered whether they were out wandering
around the festival because very few people have a clue what they look like unmasked.

The Mollusk

I hated RAM when it came out but I tried revisiting it in recent years and honestly thought it was great. Just real nice tunes, slick as fuck and polished right down to diamond sharpness and shine. 

popcorn

I don't think RAM is terrible or anything but I think there's a big hole where the songwriting ought to have been.

Take Give Life Back to Music. The entire song just restarts at the halfway point. It's not like it benefits from the repetition (this isn't Homework). It feels like one of those YouTube edits so you can listen to the same song for 40 minutes. Same deal on Lose Yourself to Dance.

Or Get Lucky. The second the classic robot voices enter it's like "fuck yeah! here we go!" - I get chills. But then they just repeat a bit and the song continues as if nothing happened. Compare that to the way the robot voices escalate in Harder Better, mutating and stretching like (ho ho ho) an overworked machine, this weird sense of stress and panic emerging through the roboticism. In Get Lucky nothing escalates!

It feels like an album of wild ambition and scope in production terms, but none at all in composition terms. "Once you free your mind about the concept of harmony and music being correct, you can do whatever you want," says Georgio, and then the world's most conventional string harmony emerges, how majestic.

popcorn

So many missed opportunities - isn't it cool how the synth right at the end of Georgio By Moroder warps downwards until it's suddenly an electronic kick drum? What a neat trick! ... wouldn't it have been cool if it that had then formed the kick for the next track? Oh well.

phes

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on February 22, 2021, 04:54:29 PM
Done since about 1997. 

Think they'd have been worth seeing back in the day, but alas I was 12 or so.

Glastonbury dance tent Alive Tour 1997. Changed my life, that gig. No hype. Probably went straight home and looked up disco equipment in the yellow pages lol etc

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: phes on February 22, 2021, 05:43:07 PM
Glastonbury dance tent Alive Tour 1997. Changed my life, that gig. No hype. Probably went straight home and looked up disco equipment in the yellow pages lol etc

I believe you. The only clip I can find seems great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDpzzCmup4k

Goldentony

RAM just reminds me of loads of men round someones gaff looking at a nice new bit of tech one of them have bought but nobodys turned it on yet, they're all just looking at it then looking at each other and going EYYYY?

Bazooka

Doin' It Right was good, because of Panda Bear not them.

purlieu

RAM, to me, was the perfect example of why it's better to channel your influences into your own sound rather than just try and copy them.

Goldentony

I like the one with Strokes lad actually, it reminded me of I Wont Let You Down by PhD

BlodwynPig

Quote from: madhair60 on February 22, 2021, 04:21:42 PM
I see we've decided that Random Access Memories was bad, then

just listened to these and they are shite

You are entitled to be wrong Madhair. Love you artwork by the way

madhair60

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 22, 2021, 06:29:44 PM
You are entitled to be wrong Madhair. Love you artwork by the way

i'm sorry. i didn't mean it anyway. i'm very ill

BlodwynPig

Quote from: mobias on February 22, 2021, 05:23:41 PM
Back when they last toured in 2007 there was a rumour it sometimes wasn't them who were up on stage. Would anyone care? I saw them when they played at the Rockness festival that year and we all wondered whether they were out wandering
around the festival because very few people have a clue what they look like unmasked.

Floyd did that 27 years earlier

BlodwynPig

Quote from: madhair60 on February 22, 2021, 06:30:46 PM
i'm sorry. i didn't mean it anyway. i'm very ill

Doesn't bother me. Hope you get better. Put a little bit of this on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Thc5SGfwOg

ProvanFan

Dermot Daft and Dermot Punk

Chedney Honks

I was banned from the unofficial and official Daft Punk forums for 'liking Daft Punk too much'.

They will play this as my flaming corpse gets catapulted into the Seine.

https://youtu.be/4HSGDI4ART4

peanutbutter

I liked RAM, it's totally redundant though and almost like a different thing entirely.

First 2 albums were great, third was meh but was used brilliantly in Alive 2007 which kind of felt like it was the summation of the group. From that point one I think they were snookered; didn't really have much of a way to move forward, far too mainstream to go back to really good house stuff and (as RAM proved) their pop sensabilities didn't match up that well with mainstream either beyond Get Lucky which got annoying as fuck quite fast.
Loads of people going "I wish I got to see them live" but post-2007 that would've been fucking horrible I imagine. The crowd that'd go to a seated Adele show in a stadium overwhelming the people who actually like dance music. Tickets going on sale a year in advance for hundreds too.

They're both pretty young, I'd like to see Bangalter just do some mixes or something tbh.

phes

Quote from: Chedney Honks on February 22, 2021, 07:06:38 PM
I was banned from the unofficial and official Daft Punk forums for 'liking Daft Punk too much'.

Owned this (along with most roule). Ironically it was one of my least played of this ilk as I knew that if I didn't play it, my friend would play it. He was 5 X the DJ I was and he'd absolutely tear the place down with whatever he would infuriatingly effortlessly do with it

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Chedney Honks on February 22, 2021, 07:06:38 PM

a nothing tune

I'll gatecrash your corpse and shove this down your eternal void holes

Circulation - Emerald

sevendaughters

RAM is kind of like if they'd pressed ahead as Stardust rather than Daft Punk. Their last total banger for me was Robot Rock, a mere 16 years ago.

They had a certain charm but - and I concede that I never really went to clubs - their music always felt a bit McDonalds to me. Satisfying for the time it is occurring, but something empty about it.

I imagine if you heard the big hits on a summer night in Europe, so when you came outside afterwards you were surrounded by beautiful people instead of scrapping with a brick shithouse from Darlington for a cab whilst holding a pizza in the rain, their music might have a different significance.

jobotic

I bought Da Funk on Soma when it came out, because I'm cool. It must be worth loads right....oh, £7.10 on Discog.

Homework is still a classic but nothing else really appealed to me. Apart from Veredis Quo, which is bloody lovely.

And this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD06UAYujI8

mobias

Quote from: peanutbutter on February 22, 2021, 07:14:11 PM

First 2 albums were great, third was meh but was used brilliantly in Alive 2007 which kind of felt like it was the summation of the group. From that point one I think they were snookered; didn't really have much of a way to move forward, far too mainstream to go back to really good house stuff and (as RAM proved) their pop sensabilities didn't match up that well with mainstream either beyond Get Lucky which got annoying as fuck quite fast.
Loads of people going "I wish I got to see them live" but post-2007 that would've been fucking horrible I imagine. The crowd that'd go to a seated Adele show in a stadium overwhelming the people who actually like dance music. Tickets going on sale a year in advance for hundreds too.

They're both pretty young, I'd like to see Bangalter just do some mixes or something tbh.

The American EDM scene aside so many people ripped them off, badly to begin with, but they got increasingly better until the people who ripped them off took it all in a new direction and left them behind. I guess you could say a similar thing happened with Kraftwerk. It wasn't a case of people becoming better it just became more of a case of the original influential act not having anything new to say because the imitators had made the sound their own.

With Daft Punk you got the impression they revelled in the mythology that had been created around them. It became their undoing though because eventually they probably thought they can't ever progress and live up to peoples expectations of them.

I love some of Thomas Bangalter's solo work and remixes. Maybe he'll feel there's less pressure on him and he can get on with just making good music without all the faffing about dressing up as a robot.

Quote from: sevendaughters on February 22, 2021, 09:13:37 PM

I imagine if you heard the big hits on a summer night in Europe, so when you came outside afterwards you were surrounded by beautiful people instead of scrapping with a brick shithouse from Darlington for a cab whilst holding a pizza in the rain, their music might have a different significance.

Yeah I've often thought that about certain types of dance music that I don't necessarily get. It probably makes sense in a much nicer, probably hotter, probably sexier time and place.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 22, 2021, 09:06:54 PM
a nothing tune

I'll gatecrash your corpse and shove this down your eternal void holes

Circulation - Emerald

Not even a graze.

Having a fantastic catch up with my Bugged Out buds as we speak.

They had a certain charm but - and I concede that I never really went to clubs - their music always felt a bit McDonalds to me. Satisfying for the time it is occurring, but something empty about it.

Their best music wasn't made as Daft Punk, it was the side projects and solo records, and they weren't the same after Homework. If you didn't listen to house and techno and didn't go to clubs, you didn't hear the best of Daft Punk, in their element. That's it, basically. If they only ever released Discovery and Human After All, I'd probably be marginally more enthused than I am about, I dunno, Basement Jaxx.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Chedney Honks on February 22, 2021, 09:41:40 PM
Their best music wasn't made as Daft Punk, it was the side projects and solo records, and they weren't the same after Homework. If you didn't listen to house and techno and didn't go to clubs, you didn't hear the best of Daft Punk, in their element. That's it, basically. If they only ever released Discovery and Human After All, I'd probably be marginally more enthused than I am about, I dunno, Basement Jaxx.

They are a bit like Fleetwood Mac in that their later guff brought them a whole new audience.  And of course in that Peter Green was an early Daft Punk member.

Peter Green's Daft Punk > Other Daft Punk.

Captain Z

Their last total banger for me was Robot Rock, a mere 16 years ago.

At the time I really liked it, but after discovering the original sample, it's disappointing that they barely did anything to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVVfZAZdIUs

mobias

The original Discovery samples https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XaqDcg8KEo

Quote from: Captain Z on February 22, 2021, 09:52:54 PM
At the time I really liked it, but after discovering the original sample, it's disappointing that they barely did anything to it:

Reminds me of an Onion headline from a few years back 'new rap single samples Billie Jean in its entirety. Adds nothing.'