Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 04:07:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Daft Punk done

Started by madhair60, February 22, 2021, 02:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Chedney Honks on February 22, 2021, 07:06:38 PM

They will play this as my flaming corpse gets catapulted into the Seine.

https://youtu.be/4HSGDI4ART4

Definately, I totally lost interest after the Roulé and Crydamoure period. Together - Together is still my favourite and was the reason I delurked to write my first post on here.

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 13, 2011, 05:03:06 PM
Daft Punk have done some lazy sampling but Bangalter truely is a sampling god as this youube clip showing the construction of Together shows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccKBHSOJQWM

and to be fair the backwards engineering to make the video is pretty smart too

Special mention to Revolution 909 and Stardust too, all the still sound amazing.

Quote from: Bazooka on February 22, 2021, 06:03:23 PM
Doin' It Right was good, because of Panda Bear not them.

That came up on a playlist once, I didn't know who it was but the algorithm knew I listened to a lot of Panda Bear and remember being surprised it was Daft Punk, great pop tune that pisses over Get Lucky.

Then again I preferred Blurred Lines to Get Lucky so don't listen to me.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Captain Z on February 22, 2021, 09:52:54 PM
At the time I really liked it, but after discovering the original sample, it's disappointing that they barely did anything to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVVfZAZdIUs

Pierre Menard's Robot Rock.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Captain Z on February 22, 2021, 09:52:54 PM
At the time I really liked it, but after discovering the original sample, it's disappointing that they barely did anything to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVVfZAZdIUs
was sampled on a reasonably prominent hip hop album the year before too. Cannot imagine how underwhelming it must've been for some people hearing Robot Rock the first time (was the first song released from HAA, wasn't it?)

Just been having another listen to Random Access Memories for the first time in ages, and have been reminded of how absolutely fucking awful the song 'Touch' is.  Christ, it's rotten.

Fragments of Time and Doin' It Right are probably my favourite 2 tracks on there.

gmoney

Contact is the best track on it.

Captain Z

'Face To Face' is probably my favourite, and fair play to the lad who breaks down the sample construction here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iWl8n9wxlA

Custard

I really like RAM, though admittedly I listen to my own re-ordered and cutdown version, as it was way too long and the running order didn't really flow well at all

I think the highlight is Touch. Makes all the hairs on the back of my pods stand up. Beautiful bit of music. Contact at the end is an absolute banger, too

Bit sad at this news. Thought maybe they'd spent the last eight years slowly making a new record. Bit upsetting to hear there'll be no more

checkoutgirl

Quote from: M-CORP on February 22, 2021, 03:12:19 PM
. So odd to have it confirmed after all this time, especially in such a vague, anticlimactic way.

Yeah, breaking up a band seems relevant if you are active touring and releasing with a baying mob of fans awaiting your every movement, but if you've done fuck all for the best part of a decade it just looks a bit odd. If Bangalter or Manuel de Homem Cristo were looking to launch solo projects a good break up is a decent way of getting a bit of attention.

In other news, the band Moop are refusing to play.

Even though I'm one of about 20,000 people who's actually seen them live I'm not a fan of anything after Homework which is a decent record. I was always disappointed about how conventional their sound was after their debut record.

sevendaughters

maybe they just tried to get it back together, work through some issues, make sure they're both up to date with their copies of Cubase and take turns paying for a big dropbox, but it just felt like it wasn't happening.

chveik

rest in peace mister punk

Bronzy

i wouldnt call myself a fan of daft punk, but i will say its the healthiest way to prepare punk

checkoutgirl

Quote from: mobias on February 22, 2021, 05:01:54 PM
They could be ninety and wear those stupid robot costumes and no one would know the difference.

They could put their pool cleaner in the outfits and no one would know the difference. Maybe that was the point. The outfits were most likely their biggest innovation. Their relative anonymity, the brand, the showmanship and ultimately the fact that anyone could be wearing the outfits. Perhaps when they reform anybody will be wearing it. By the time they reform actual cyborgs will be cheap and effective. That's their real legacy, decades long commitment to a bit.

The music seems like an afterthought really. They were extremely overrated musically. Although their live show had much tougher beats than I was expecting so fair play. The most annoying part of that gig was that on the bus back some twat put a Daft Punk cd on the stereo. I remember thinking lads have you not heard enough of this band? The gig was fine but their studio albums are mainly disappointing.

RenegadeScrew

Just imagine when they reform and loads of people say it's the most innovative thing that's ever happened.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: imitationleather on February 22, 2021, 05:19:00 PM
Pretty sure everyone except Boston Crab realised Random Access Memories was a pile of shit straightaway.

Didn't he start calling himself Daft Punk Fan #1 or something around that time?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: RenegadeScrew on February 23, 2021, 12:43:11 AM
Just imagine when they reform and loads of people say it's the most innovative thing that's ever happened.

I watched the documentary on them and the only thing I can remember is one of them at an early gig and he was touching a jack connector to the outside bit of the plughole to make a static BVVV!! sound and some wog saying how this piece of genius improvisation was an early sign of the greatness to come. And at the time it just annoyed me because he was damaging the equipment, which he probably didn't own, and it was a stupid idea that made a rubbish sound anyway.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: checkoutgirl on February 23, 2021, 12:50:11 AM
I watched the documentary on them and the only thing I can remember is one of them at an early gig and he was touching a jack connector to the outside bit of the plughole to make a static BVVV!! sound and some wog saying how this piece of genius improvisation was an early sign of the greatness to come. And at the time it just annoyed me because he was damaging the equipment, which he probably didn't own, and it was a stupid idea that made a rubbish sound anyway.

Music documentaries can be particularly ridiculous in parts (should probably start a thread actually).  To be fair it's rarely the featured artist but some other talking head.  Usually stuff that could go in pseuds corner in private eye.

In the classic albums about The Doors, a guy reads the lyrics "break on through to the other side (x4) / yeah" off a page as if he's just came across it, then waxes lyrical about how deep it is.

earl_sleek

jobotic

Now that's a typo!

Or we have a new Laurence Fax

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

28 years old, they were.

Bronzy

She might be Australian, in which case it's still not great.

buntyman

I think it's a he. And he needs cancelled unfortunately. A shame as he's been a fine, long standing member of the cab community

Cuellar

Had no idea they were still going to be honest

mobias

Quote from: checkoutgirl on February 23, 2021, 12:50:11 AM

That documentary is so much hyperbole. The only two who came across as down to earth about them were the Slam guys. I finished watching that thinking if I was Daft Punk I'd be utterly embarrassed by it. I do wonder if the order of magnitude installed upon their greatness by that documentary contributed to them splitting up. They couldn't live up to all the hyperbole about them everywhere.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on February 23, 2021, 12:13:31 AM
Yeah, breaking up a band seems relevant if you are active touring and releasing with a baying mob of fans awaiting your every movement, but if you've done fuck all for the best part of a decade it just looks a bit odd. If Bangalter or Manuel de Homem Cristo were looking to launch solo projects a good break up is a decent way of getting a bit of attention.

They maybe just got sick of everyone asking when a new album was going to come out so wanted to draw a line under it. I can't imagine they ever got stopped in the street often by adoring fans though.

the

Quote from: mobias on February 23, 2021, 10:13:20 AMThey maybe just got sick of everyone asking when a new album was going to come out so wanted to draw a line under it. I can't imagine they ever got stopped in the street often by adoring fans though.

Still, it's impermanent, and also an inexpensive way to get a sales spike.

Quite odd to see people reminiscing about Thomas Bangalter tracks as though he's just split up with himself.

Check out Bob Log III if you want more helmeted musical fun.

Petey Pate

Quote from: thecuriousorange on February 23, 2021, 11:50:34 AM
Check out Bob Log III if you want more helmeted musical fun.

For $100, he'll write you a personalised birthday song.

http://www.boblog111.com/

Captain Z

The video does give the impression that Bangalter is the one that has run out of steam and wants to stop, while Guy Manuel is going to continue solo.

Pancake

I love RAM! Apart from the Moroder intro, that can eff aff