Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:07:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Let Them Eat Cake

Started by worldsgreatestsinner, February 23, 2021, 12:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Probably the forgotten French & Saunders series. It aired in 1999, got 6 episodes. It was a bit of an attempt to do a Blackadder the Third style comedy. Set just before the French Revolution, Saunders plays an aristocrat, French and Adrian Scarborough are her servants.  From memory, it wasn't very well received, which is probably part of the reason why it's never really talked about. I'm watching it now for the first time since the original airing and I'm enjoying it, even if it's not their best work, but some of the story lines are a bit surprising and very dark for a show that aired 9.30 on a weeknight on BBC1. Episode 2 has Saunders brutally axe-murdering a rival. Episode 3 has Richard E. Grant repeatedly raping Saunders and her trying to convince French to take her place. Does anyone else remember it?

idunnosomename

I remember never watching it, so I have no opinion on it. How did Peter Learmouth (who he?) get this gig writing for French and Saunders?

paruses

I remember the shape of it. I also remember laughing a lot at parts of it. And I also have the feeling that it was properly risque but maybe dark is a better word.
Wouldn't mind a rewatch to spoil the memory. Where are you watching?

Chriddof

I also saw this at the time, and I remember liking it, even though it never seemed like a "must watch" kind of thing. The main bit I recall from the show was French's character getting angry with Saunders' Marie Antoinette-esque character, over the latter deciding to deliberately piss herself in a living room because she couldn't be bothered to walk all the way to the toilet.

The Bumlord

I remember nothing except lots of heaving cleavages.

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 23, 2021, 12:18:59 AM
I remember never watching it, so I have no opinion on it. How did Peter Learmouth (who he?) get this gig writing for French and Saunders?

He was one of the writers on Surgical Spirit in the early 90s, so I guess he developed and pitched Let Them Eat Cake.

QuoteI remember the shape of it. I also remember laughing a lot at parts of it. And I also have the feeling that it was properly risque but maybe dark is a better word.
Wouldn't mind a rewatch to spoil the memory. Where are you watching?

I picked up the dvd in a charity shop before the last lockdown.

QuoteI also saw this at the time, and I remember liking it, even though it never seemed like a "must watch" kind of thing. The main bit I recall from the show was French's character getting angry with Saunders' Marie Antoinette-esque character, over the latter deciding to deliberately piss herself in a living room because she couldn't be bothered to walk all the way to the toilet.

Yes, followed by her pissing on the carpet while French is telling her off about pissing on the carpet.

QuoteI remember nothing except lots of heaving cleavages.

That was my main memory too.

Like I say, it's a decent enough show, I think it would have been better if French and Saunders had written it. You also get people like Alison Steadman as Saunders main rival, an early role for Julian Rhind-Tutt. It's just surprising how dark it gets, in particular that Richard E. Grant ep. I can't imagine the BBC allowing that one through now, or any big stars wanting to touch it. Maybe because it was a largely female cast that was seen to take any edge of controversy off the episode?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

There was one where she thought she was pregnant off the King but it turned out to just be a big fart.

Icehaven

I don't remember it but I do remember a booze advert (possibly Bacardi?) that F&S did back in the late 80s/early 90s where Saunders was a lady-of-the-manor and French was her servant, so it was maybe inspired by/the same characters as this? I just remember Saunders haughtily saying "I've marked that bottle" to French to stop her nicking any.

the

Quote from: icehaven on February 23, 2021, 07:12:10 PMI don't remember it but I do remember a booze advert (possibly Bacardi?) that F&S did back in the late 80s/early 90s where Saunders was a lady-of-the-manor and French was her servant, so it was maybe inspired by/the same characters as this?

Country Manor

thenoise

My parents thought it was far too vulgar and it was turned off before the first episode ended. They are F&S fans, even stretching as far as the grim Murder Most Horrid, but this was too far.  I didn't care enough to track it down.

Icehaven

Quote from: the on February 23, 2021, 07:15:52 PM
Country Manor

Yes that's it! Although now I read the thread properly it turns out the show was on years after that advert so it might be the other way round.

paruses

Quote from: the on February 23, 2021, 07:15:52 PM
Country Manor

Do they make adverts like that these days? Ones that are basically a joke-lite sketch? Did they then, even or were F&S a special case?

Any idea who's playing The Satsuma In the Corner? Looks familiar but I can't place him.

Yeah, they did back then. You had the Rowan Atkinson ones that were the basis for Johnny English, the Fry & Laurie Alliance & Leicester sketches, didn't Ade do a bank account ad as well as Vyvyan?

Spiny Norman

I had totally forgotten about this!

Captain Butler and Dark Ages weren't much good either, when it comes to Blackadder knockoffs. The US had "Thanks"... which I assume was sarcasm. And Pfeiffer which might have been good if people hadn't assumed it was racist even though the black guy was the brains.

So essentially the only Blackadder imitations that are moderately edible are Chelmsford 123 and Haggard, then.

Didn't Captain Butler end up showing in a stupidly late time slot?

Spiny Norman

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on February 28, 2021, 08:21:13 PM
Didn't Captain Butler end up showing in a stupidly late time slot?
No idea, but there was more wrong with it than just a time slot, in my not-so-humble opinion. ;)

petril

Captain Butler was a half ten Friday effort. fit right in. you're allowed to have shite on then, helps make it more fun when something good gets on

I'm sure I remember it getting moved to much later than that after a week or two. Like 1.30/2 in the morning.