Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:46:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Was watching the Look Around You DVD and saw the pilot Calcium was made in 2000!

Started by ajsmith2, February 23, 2021, 09:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Here's the original Jack Hargreaves footage they used in the 'Markets of Britain' film.  (I love the fact that most of the comments underneath are just quoting bits from 'Markets of Britain'). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EvqUKp1dWU

I live in Dorset and grew up in the 70's and 80's with Southern Television and TVS, and can't tell you how tediously dull and interminable I found Jack Hargeaves' bloody programmes.  As soon as the theme music for Out of Town came on it just put you on an immediate downer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTtRsRcFVyk  Ugh. 

Also remember when they re-branded it as 'Old Country' and started showing it in the afternoons on Channel 4, and was ever hopeful that one day the scrolling text at the beginning of the opening credits would just say "Old Cunt".

https://youtu.be/J_vXcjEgohQ?t=11

Retinend

Quote from: Phil_A on February 24, 2021, 04:08:31 PMWhen Derrida coined the term "hauntology" he was on about the spectre of Marxism returning to haunt modern political discourse(or something like that), but yeah it's basically been co-opted to mean something much broader than that. Perhaps a more accurate definition of hauntology as most of us understand it is to be haunted by the half-forgotten memories of our collective cultural pasts, often in the form of the specific (usually unsettling) feelings invoked by particular kinds of media from decades gone by.

I looked up the term myself and I notice than when you combiner the words "hanter" and "ontologie" the resulting mot, "hantologie", is beaucoup more clever than le English word.

In the original French, it is a perfect sound-a-like for the word "ontologie" alone. Just a little trick Derrida used to make us think about the relationship between what we know and what "haunts" us.

This is the first time I have felt need to compliment Derrida, since I am a linguist by training and he has had a terrible effect on the interpretation of De Saussure.

damien

Wasn't there meant to be a series based on Radio SpiritWorld? That was absolutely hilarious.

Quote from: damien on February 25, 2021, 04:56:47 PM
Wasn't there meant to be a series based on Radio SpiritWorld? That was absolutely hilarious.

Yeah, I really hoped they'd do more of those.  I loved that. 

I know they did the 'Frost/Savile' thing as a sort of mini-episode Spiritworld one-off special, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that Radio Spiritworld/The Other Side was intended to be a series that would be a late night Radio 4 thing, which would've been great.