Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:32:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Drag Race UK/Drag Race US season 13 [split topic]

Started by Carpool Dragon, February 05, 2021, 06:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Rupaul is in love with Lawrence Chaney, no way he doesn't end up winning.

S13 is pretty fun so far, although Kandy is grating (worse than Silky even) but Tamisha is a national treasure.

Cuellar

She's (Tamisha) clearly a legend, but some of the stuff she's worn. Deary me.

Blue Jam

DAMMIT we need two different threads, this is confusing

Blue Jam

Quote from: thugler on February 05, 2021, 11:45:29 AM
Couldn't he come up with a proper drag name? I find it incongruous that all have female names and hers is Lawrence.

There was Joe Black as well, remember. I don't think drag queens using a real name is that uncommon. Remember Willam, the pantomime villain of Drag Race Season 4? He used his real name as he was also an actor and wanted to make his name a bit more known.

Also while he's not really called Bob I do love the name "Bob The Drag Queen".

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on February 05, 2021, 06:06:07 PM
Rupaul is in love with Lawrence Chaney, no way he doesn't end up winning.

I'd say Lawrence Cheney is the frontrunner too, but every season has one queen whose name Ru is particularly fond of saying ("Blair St. Claire ah do declare"; "IIIIIVEEEEEE WINTERRRRRRRS") so it could be just that.

The Mollusk

Wholesome vibes this week. I wasn't too surprised to see Ginny pack it in, since I feel like she came to an understanding that her own personal drag identity doesn't fall in with what's expected of the queens in the competition. One of them said she "did a Ben De La Creme" which I don't agree with. De La made herself a martyr by ducking out while she was on top for fear of being toppled, which isn't what Ginny did at all.

Also really loved Ellie getting sassy with Ru about the Scottish accent thing. It was genuinely awkward.

Blinder Data

It was a bit bemusing to hear Ginny say "It's not tapping out", right after tapping out. Fair enough if you wanna give up, but don't pretend it's a "punk" move.

thugler

So annoying them kicking out veronica green, can't they just wait 10 days? Joe black was always going straight back out. Really low effort weak stuff.

Cuellar

Yeah didn't take to Joe Black at all. Tia Kofi better fucking pull her finger out though, can't have her almost going home every week it's doing my head in.

The Mollusk

Quote from: thugler on February 11, 2021, 10:47:41 PM
So annoying them kicking out veronica green, can't they just wait 10 days?

It was annoying but then so was she. I know she deserves a fair chance to compete (although we don't know how much of it was her decision) but I didn't think much of her really, so I'm not arsed.

Joe Black in the challenge was like an entirely different person to Joe Black on the runway. Quite clearly she's a "looks" queen (that seaside getup was superb, I was laughing out loud) which is probably what most of her fans were in uproar about on social media after the first episode, as she would appear to have more potential than what was actually required of her in the competition. Certainly no one can say she was dealt a bad hand now though, because that performance was shit.

I am really fond of Tia Kofi for her personality and sense of humour which shines massively in the performance challenges, and she's evidently very pretty in drag even without the greatest of effort, but she's definitely coasting now with the subpar runway looks. I'd be sad to see her go (since her presence is warm and lovely and I just want to hang out with her and drink Smirnoff Ice in the park) but if she doesn't up the ante next week she'd deserve to go home.

Ru was fuckin raging this week eh, can't say I was massively sympathetic to her blaming it on having to isolate for 2 weeks on reentering the UK, but I get it.

Blue Jam

Catching up on this week's episode now. Joe Black in the furry animal costume with the Union Flag underpants was channeling fierce John Lydon realness. John Lydon as he is now, I mean. All she needed was a MAGA hat.

Fucksake, it feels like Joe Black is only there because she's known as a  drag legend and is therefore entitled to be there. She's still giving me the creeps in a flamboyant thespian Uncle Monty kinda way. Asttina wuz robbed.

I've massively warmed to Tia Kofi, she's adorable. She's got a great nae fucks given attitude, really sunny and happy and laughing in the face of failure. I just wish she'd be a little less self-deprecating and believe in herself a bit more, she comes across as a bit of a self-saboteur and Ru always homes in on that. Also I did appreciate her mention of Boutros Boutros-Ghali in the first episode, fierce Fast Show realness.

Ru is channelling fierce Hillary Clinton realness with the navy and white jacket.

Jeez Tayce is a beautiful man. He's like a work of art. I could gaze upon his beautiful face all day.

Does Sister Sister have the same dentist as Jurgen Klopp? I guess it's entirely possible.

Blue Jam

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 12, 2021, 04:23:55 PM
Ru was fuckin raging this week eh, can't say I was massively sympathetic to her blaming it on having to isolate for 2 weeks on reentering the UK, but I get it.

Is it just me, or did Ru's runway comments sound like a Cassetteboy cut-up? Very unsubtle editing this week. Like some of the more recent episodes of The Apprentice.

BritishHobo

I can't take it when RuPaul gets angry. Funny you should say that BlueJam, as I was thinking it just feels like the worst bits of the UK Apprentice, when we're expected to think of Alan Sugar as an absolute genius whose amazing reputation is insulted by the pathetic actions of the proles before him. The dramatic sting as Ru snarls about fucking H&M. Oh, you've come all this way across the pond have you, and it's not good enough? Jog on pal.

Blue Jam

It's also a bit rich as Asttina won a coveted RuPeter badge after wearing an Asos jacket on the runway. A'Whora was raging about that but Ru didn't seem terribly pissed off back then.

It also seemed a bit of a dick move after the queens had all just been talking about struggling with their finances due to not being able to perform during lockdown. And the US edition has plenty of challenges where the queens have to put together a look on a budget, with thrift store finds, with $20 to spend at a hardware store etc.

I'm not a fan of Joe Black but fair play, that seaside runway look was amazing and that H&M rant was bullshit.

The Mollusk

Mmmm I dunno. Asstina made that ASOS jacket look fucking banging. Joe Black straight up looked like crap in that dress and tiny wig. They probably cost the same amount but it's what you think can be tarted up to look great - which Asstina knew well - and what is just a cheap and boring dress which doesn't look glamorous, with no effort to better compliment with the rest of your outfit or wig or makeup.

MrMrs

yeah she didn't do anything to the dress, I'm on ru's side, oddly

shite epa this week in the us version

Jockice

I rarely see this but that overweight Scottish one mentioned the town I was born in during that Eurovision song this week. I feel strangely proud.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Watched my first ep ever tonight and I did not hate it after my years of spiel about not watching it for reasons.

Sort of mainly feeling jealousy aimed at Bimini.

Blinder Data

if Lawrence Chaney has to lip sync again, she is oot!

I think it's between Tayce and Bimini for the crown. I love Tayce - she's like a bubbly south Wales mum with the face and body of a sexy men

The Mollusk

Bimini is a fuckin superstar, absolutely love them. That runway this week was a perfect blend of disturbing, mystifying, and beautifully couture. It reminded me of something you'd see Björk wearing on stage.

Happy to let Tia go this week, just not good enough. Sister Sister should be next, she's coasting and unjustifiably full of herself.

The Mollusk

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on February 18, 2021, 10:26:41 PM
Watched my first ep ever tonight and I did not hate it after my years of spiel about not watching it for reasons.

Assuming you're on about the issues discussed upthread, they're totally valid reasons, and I can see why it would be very hard to look past that. I started watching the show when my education on trans history/community was practically nonexistent, and as a cis dude it was just really exhilarating for me to get immersed in gay culture, especially since the show is obviously so well-edited and the queens are so entertaining.

As time has passed, though, Ru's outdated attitudes to trans identity/validity have definitely left something of a sour taste in my mouth and I don't doubt that the sudden inclusion of transgender and nonbinary people on the show is more a case of the higher-ups telling him he needs to suck it up than him actually having that revelation for himself. I guess it's nice if the ends justify the means and Ru actually learns something from all of this, but it's undeniably a shame that it had to go this route in the first place.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this if you're happy to share!

Cuellar

Tia was frustratingly shit but she should have been allowed to stay just because.

Definitely think Bimini could win the whole thing, she does it all.

Tayce being a massive Kath and Kim fan = solidified as a stone-cold legend. I hope Tayce did more Kath than was shown in the final edit, there are so many things you could chuck in: "Look at me Ru, look at me please, look at mooooyeeeee", "I've got one word to say to you [the two words written down]". But doing Kath at all made her go up in my estimation and I did not think that was possible.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 19, 2021, 10:39:02 AM
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this if you're happy to share!

Sorry Mollusk didn't mean to ignore.

I haven't really thought about Drag Race in years, but I used to have a big chip on my shoulder about it early in transition probably because i like, well, didn't want to be thought of as a drag queen and I had a couple bad incidents in public with that sort of thing. Didn't help that people kept asking me if I'd seen it and idk just equating myself with it in a way that any other person wouldn't be so I was aggy.

I've less unreasonable feelings towards drag and Drag Race (even tho Ru Paul themself is a cock) that don't centre myself so much now lol

Blue Jam

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 19, 2021, 09:42:20 AM
Bimini is a fuckin superstar, absolutely love them. That runway this week was a perfect blend of disturbing, mystifying, and beautifully couture. It reminded me of something you'd see Björk wearing on stage.

Who did Bimini cite as an inspiration there? Ernst Haeckel? I loved the primordial soup look anyway, it was original as well as being properly striking.

Bimini's Katie Pwice impersonation cracked me up too. Laurence Cheney got the look right with  the Miriam Margoyles drag but just quoting a funny person's funny lines minus their charm was never going to cut it. That said I found the Ru and Michelle REACT bits annoying- yes, we can see Bimini is funnier than Laurence, we don't need a staged reaction shot to see the judges feel the same way. More Apprentice-style editing there.

A'whora seems to have done a heel-face turn... or perhaps Lawrence Cheney was the heel all along? I think I'm rooting for Bimini now anyway, seeing them giving us The Pwicey won me over.

Blue Jam

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on February 24, 2021, 09:34:32 PM
Sorry Mollusk didn't mean to ignore.

I haven't really thought about Drag Race in years, but I used to have a big chip on my shoulder about it early in transition probably because i like, well, didn't want to be thought of as a drag queen and I had a couple bad incidents in public with that sort of thing. Didn't help that people kept asking me if I'd seen it and idk just equating myself with it in a way that any other person wouldn't be so I was aggy.

I've less unreasonable feelings towards drag and Drag Race (even tho Ru Paul themself is a cock) that don't centre myself so much now lol

As many people have pointed out, Ru really shouldn't be surprised that an artform that is all about playing with gender should attract so many trans and non-binary people. Especially given that there's so many genres of drag and that people of all genders or none perform it.

Ru's talk of not allowing AFAB contestants or transmen after Peppermint came out on the show was bollocks too. Plenty of queens naturally look very feminine out of drag (the so-called "fishy" queens- gawd I hate that term, it's so misogynistic and shuddersome) and plenty have had surgery and other cosmetic work done, any talk of contestants having an unfair advantage is moot.

That change from "Gentlemen, start your engines, and may the best woman win" to "Racers, start your engines, and may the best drag queen win" is definitely in response to that backlash isn't it? I'm convinced of that now.

olliebean

The only thing I can remember about Vicky Pollard is "Yeah but no but yeah but no but," surely any half decent impersonation of the character would have to include that?

Cuellar

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 24, 2021, 09:47:39 PM
Who did Bimini cite as an inspiration there? Ernst Haeckel? I loved the primordial soup look anyway, it was original as well as being properly striking.

Iris van Herpen.

I think it's always a bad idea to do a conmedian or a 'funny' person in the Snatch Game. Lawrence was never going to be funnier than Miriam Margolyes. Tayce sort of got away with it because Kath the character isn't really self-consciously funny, she just unintentionally says funny things. But even then it can feel like you're just spouting catchphrases. Mel B could have been good, but I don't know how anyone could do a 'funny' Mel B without immediately going full Bo Selecta on it.