Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:46:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Drag Race UK/Drag Race US season 13 [split topic]

Started by Carpool Dragon, February 05, 2021, 06:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Another solid episode. This is the best season of the show we've had in the last few years. The overtly bitchy and yet also totally goofy attitude in the workroom is so much fun to watch, I feel like a lot of that vibe has come from how the lockdown affected everyone prior to the show rebooting but instead of being dour and awfully depressing it's quite madcap, which I guess is another way the pandemic has affected a lot of people. It's certainly sent me quite mental (more so).

What's everyone saying for top 3 at this point? For me it's Bimini, A'Whora and Lawrence.

MrMrs

So, what's the deal with Sister Sister. She's my least favourite of all the queens (including fuckin' Dahlia, Cherry, Aiden & S3 Manilla).

She's so fuckin bitter and... really bad at her job. She's arrogant as fuck. She ripped A'Whora's look and made a fuckin arse of it. She think she's about to show the world how great she is but, she's been stealing a wage.

This week she WAS good at the reading but then she got 15 secs advantage, bigged herself up (This is MY turn to show the wordl!!!) didn't share any of her material, looked like a fuckin' Australian's nightmare, fucked up the lipstink and got her fuckin' jotters.

I said to my fiance, when she was eliminated, I bet she says something bitter, rather than doing a dignified exit. The state of the things she said at the end. The joke DIDN'T EVEN WORK. This reminds me of something my gran said... oh I forget. Doesn't work at all.

Get her to fuck.

So, I'm also watching S12 and S13 US along with UK. Fuck, the latest US ones are pathetic. I wanted to go back to S12, hoping it'd be better on a rewatch but no. It's so dull. Crystal Methyd is a glimmer of joy but she's not in it too much until the end. And Heidi, she's cool too. But the rest... nah.

MrMrs

Angry post there but I really like this UK series, there are a lot of really cool queens (LAWRENCE CHANEY!, Ellie D, A'Whora even seems to have done a nice turn, Tayce, Tia Coffee).

Blue Jam

Tayce making a thong out of Brillo pads? *wince*

The Mollusk

I'm glad Sister Sister ballsed it up, not just because I too think she's totally unjustifiably up her own arse but also because it would have been Bimini in the bottom if she'd actually excelled. I deffo wouldn't like to see Bimini get the boot if Tayce won the lip sync.

Anyway yeah Sister Sister is a pillock, couldn't really get my head around her at all. Was she trying to keep up with everyone else's brashness levels? Because if she was trying to be extremely dry-witted it didn't work at all, she just looked pretty stupid.

Blue Jam

Sister Sister's runway look was bullshit too, everything but the kitchen sink, didn't fit the superhero brief at all, and with a 15 second head start during which she nabbed all the best gear she had no excuse. I love a Scouse queen but she was no The Vivienne.

Right bottom two this week, right queen sashayed away.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Cuellar on February 25, 2021, 12:10:35 PM
Iris van Herpen.

Thanks for that, I loved that runway look and I was seriously intrigued. Just googled, Bimini's got taste. Couture like Sasha Velour. But much more fun than her.

Cuellar

I think the editors have to take responsibility for the vitriol that Sister Sister has received online. Yes, she must have said the bitchy things in the first place, sure, but for that to be practically the only things we saw her say is down to the edit. I refuse to believe Sister ONLY said bitchy things the entire time she was there.

That being said, her outfit was shit and to pretend it was somehow better than Ellie Diamond's was madness.

olliebean

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 26, 2021, 08:17:48 PM
Sister Sister's runway look was bullshit too, everything but the kitchen sink, didn't fit the superhero brief at all, and with a 15 second head start during which she nabbed all the best gear she had no excuse. I love a Scouse queen but she was no The Vivienne.

Right bottom two this week, right queen sashayed away.

She'd have probably done better without the head start; seemed like she used the opportunity to grab as much stuff as she could and then felt she had to use most of it to justify being a dick about not sharing it with anyone else.

This was one of the funniest scenes in Drag Race in years.
"Just me...the cobra".

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Cuellar on February 27, 2021, 01:25:38 PM
I think the editors have to take responsibility for the vitriol that Sister Sister has received online. Yes, she must have said the bitchy things in the first place, sure, but for that to be practically the only things we saw her say is down to the edit. I refuse to believe Sister ONLY said bitchy things the entire time she was there.

That being said, her outfit was shit and to pretend it was somehow better than Ellie Diamond's was madness.

Sister Sister used to go by the name Sister Fibrosis and the blue lips thing is apparently a reference to one of the common symptoms of Cystic Fibrosis. You could see that she was used to being the dark and edgy queen, which didn't really chime with the cheerfully camp Drag Race vibe, but I also reckon she's a bit of a bell in real life.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Wet Blanket on February 28, 2021, 05:09:56 PM
Sister Sister used to go by the name Sister Fibrosis and the blue lips thing is apparently a reference to one of the common symptoms of Cystic Fibrosis.

WTF?!!!

Oh, wow:

https://www.theoldnunshead.co.uk/events/2019/1/4/drag-the-farewell-roast-of-sister-fibrosis

*speechless*

Yeah, if that really is her then good riddance.

Jockice

As I said I'm no way a regular viewer but seeing Lawrence trying to hold back the tears while talking about getting bullied at school was quite touching. I don't really get the whole drag queen thing but you know, good luck to them.

I hope he wins though. Just for mentioning Helensburgh in that Eurovision song.

Clownbaby

I'm really enjoying this series. I took a liking to Bimini pretty much straightaway, who has something very special and is absolutely cute as a button. I love the whole Vivienne Westwood meets Pamela Anderson thing. And that Katie p w i c e impression was great. There's a calm kind of charisma about Bimini that is genuinely refreshing.

A lot of people I know seem to love Laurence Chaney and I'm not really seeing it myself. She's a lot funnier in the talking head bits and at the dressing table than she is when actually trying to do something funny in drag. Just a bit of a one-note sense of humour. I don't really know why Ellie Diamond is still around.Tia Kofi seemed like a nice person but I've seen better dressed queens serving drinks in the local drag club that shut down for failing hygiene standards. There was a certain charm in her being aware that she wasn't up to scratch though. Her likeable personality will get her a fan base and I think she just wasn't ready for Drag Race yet.

thugler

Chaney is just one of the funnier ones, and consistently solid at everything else. Definitely him Ahora and Bimini for top 3.

I do think the runway outfits parts seem a bit unfair sometimes, I presume it's based on their ideas, but like who is making the costumes? Does the show have a team doing it or does each contestant have their own people doing them, and their own budgets? The difference in quality is massive sometimes.

MrMrs

I think they have an assistant each, don't they? Or is that just US?

Clownbaby

I think some of the queens have, amongst their own collection of material and wigs to make a new look with, maybe some outfits that they already had that they use. I'm not sure myself. It would explain why some of the queens who have said they struggle to sew their own dresses may have a beautiful runway look one day and a crap one the next.

Blue Jam

Nice to see you back, Clownbaby!

And yes, I loved Tia Kofi but I think you're right, she was endearing because she was a bit rubbish and really not up to the standard of Drag Race. Maybe this will be a bit of a springboard for her though.

When the queens are cast, they get a list of ~20 runway themes, of which a few are used for runways, a few are used for challenges, and a few are not used a all. Some queens come up with their designs and make everything themselves (e.g. Jaida, Roxxy Andrews), some come up with designs and get someone else to make the garment if they're not a strong seamstress/don't have the time, and some just give the prompt to designers and get them to do all the work. They also only have like three weeks between being cast and leaving for filming so it doesn't leave a lot of time for error.

In recent years there has been a clear disparity between queens who were well established before Drag Race being able to afford beautifully made clothes while newer/poorer queens get criticized by the judges for looking cheap. A lot of contestants use the same small pool of designers leading to "samey" looking concepts/silhouettes over the years (e.g. Diego Montoyo, Domino Couture, Florence D'Lee). Yvie Oddly recently spoke out about this and I have to agree tbh. Some queens go into thousands of dollars of debt to pay for clothes for Drag Race only to go home early (part of the reason for Honey Davenport's massive breakdown after her elimiation).

Anywhoo, Bob and Monet just made a video about their experience of being cast and fliming DR. Worth a look if you're interested in the process.

The Mollusk

Super interesting insight Carpool Dragon, thank you for posting that.

thugler

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on March 04, 2021, 01:17:58 PM
When the queens are cast, they get a list of ~20 runway themes, of which a few are used for runways, a few are used for challenges, and a few are not used a all. Some queens come up with their designs and make everything themselves (e.g. Jaida, Roxxy Andrews), some come up with designs and get someone else to make the garment if they're not a strong seamstress/don't have the time, and some just give the prompt to designers and get them to do all the work. They also only have like three weeks between being cast and leaving for filming so it doesn't leave a lot of time for error.

In recent years there has been a clear disparity between queens who were well established before Drag Race being able to afford beautifully made clothes while newer/poorer queens get criticized by the judges for looking cheap. A lot of contestants use the same small pool of designers leading to "samey" looking concepts/silhouettes over the years (e.g. Diego Montoyo, Domino Couture, Florence D'Lee). Yvie Oddly recently spoke out about this and I have to agree tbh. Some queens go into thousands of dollars of debt to pay for clothes for Drag Race only to go home early (part of the reason for Honey Davenport's massive breakdown after her elimiation).

Anywhoo, Bob and Monet just made a video about their experience of being cast and fliming DR. Worth a look if you're interested in the process.

That doesn't seem fair. A rich/already prominent drag artist will have a much better chance from the off just by having access to better designers and presumably a bigger budget for costumes. No wonder that's meant a huge gap in quality.

The Mollusk

Yo what the fuck, genuinely really pissed off about the decisions made in tonight's episode. Piss take.

Quote from: thugler on March 04, 2021, 09:41:24 PM
That doesn't seem fair. A rich/already prominent drag artist will have a much better chance from the off just by having access to better designers and presumably a bigger budget for costumes. No wonder that's meant a huge gap in quality.
Yep, it seems like you can almost buy your way into the top 5 these days.
Also I listened to Monet and Lady Bunny's interview with one of Sherry Pie's victims today, apparently SP's mother spent $40,000 on her clothes for season 11. Great investment!

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 04, 2021, 09:44:32 PM
Yo what the fuck, genuinely really pissed off about the decisions made in tonight's episode. Piss take.
Agree - I thought Awhora was hilarious (give us the uncensored version!). Ellie and Lawrence should've been in the bottom. Lawrence came off very badly in this episode too. Oh well, it's Bimini Bon Boulash's world, we're all just living in it.

thugler

Mad decision. Diamond was wank. The catty moaning about her using her power to change the order was a bit much though. Thought tace was 2nd best so didn't get why she was in bottom 2

bgmnts

Too filthy for a drag act? Fair play to her that's filth.

MrMrs

^A silly video of Tayce being funny with a big afro

Blinder Data

A'Whora and Lawrence were big babies for getting so upset about the running order. They did not expect the cowed Ellie to actually play the game - fair play to her, she knows she's the weakest so did what she had to to survive.

It was almost impossible to decide who deserved to sashay away last night. I half-expected a double save. Won't shed any years for A'Whora as I found her annoying but it has definitely weakened the pool of final contenders. The crown is Bimini's.

Cuellar

Thought Awhora and Lawrence were awful to Ellie. Should have been Ellie and Lawrence in the bottom. I really enjoyed Awhora's stand up only because bleeped out swearing is always funny.

Genuinely hate stand up challenges though, always excruciating. Can't see Tayce winning the whole thing after being in the bottom 3 times now though :( Gotta be Bimini