Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:21:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Drag Race UK/Drag Race US season 13 [split topic]

Started by Carpool Dragon, February 05, 2021, 06:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wet Blanket

I was surprised the stand up was so uniformly ropey. You'd have thought there'd be more of an overlap of skills between drag queens and comedians - don't they have a stage act?

BritishHobo

I do love the stand-up challenge because I find it fascinating seeing the queens wrestle with the mechanics of it. As has been said, I'm sure they're all well-used to being funny onstage, but I'm guessing it's more back-and-forth with other drag queens and the audiences maybe? Or things that are part of their overall act, that wouldn't work on their own. You see a lot of people who are hilarious and so quick-witted in general conversation, but flounder when forced to write abd deliver gags.

Didn't seem to be any real bad ones this time, although maybe that's because there was no public audience to gauge the reaction of.

Can't imagine what A'Whora said that was too disgusting for Drag Race.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 05, 2021, 01:15:58 PM

Can't imagine what A'Whora said that was too disgusting for Drag Race.

She said
Spoiler alert
We both have gaping arseholes
[close]
- the uncensored clip is on Twitter now. I reckon it was bleeped more for comic effect than it genuinely being too outrageous for the BBC

MrMrs

I think Ellie should've won, she had the judges laughing most. Lawrence and Awhora having a go was kinda petty, Ellie won the right to decide the order. Lawrence DID have a point though when she pulled Ellie for saying she was broken up about it and asking if everyone was okay with the order. 1) she did it quite apologetically and 2) she knew people were unhappy, asking them to agree was pointless.

Blue Jam

Anyone else noticed the use of the same incidental music as It's Always Sunny in parts? It's making me smile.

The butch drag mini challenge was hilarious. Especially A'Whora putting on a repressed homosexual act: "I LOVE HET WIMMIN! I'VE NEVER HEARD OF LADY GAGA!"

As others have said, Tayce is both a stunningly beautiful man and an adorable South Wales mam. "Girls, just take it like a fuckin' drag queen, innit".

Fuckin' 'ell Lawrence, chill.

bgmnts

Tayce is lovely but I saw her making a pot noodle sandwich on youtube yesterday and that is so fucking disgusting that it may have soured me a bit.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on March 05, 2021, 07:00:21 PM
Tayce is lovely but I saw her making a pot noodle sandwich on youtube yesterday and that is so fucking disgusting that it may have soured me a bit.

She also loves beans on toast and I have long had a weird aversion to baked beans. A Pot Noodle sandwich sounds even wronger.

kitsofan34

Although as a newbie to Drag Race I find myself dissapointed at the assistance the acts have with their looks, I cannot get over how good Bimini looked this week. The rest of them all look perfectly nice in their respective Looks, but it's always so generic, so prim and proper and designed to look good. Bimini is the only one who's innovative, the only one with her own sense of style and a internal confidence that can have her walking out with a zit themed costume and win the fucking week.

Blue Jam

I'll say it again: Bimini is like a Sasha Velour who doesn't take herself too seriously.

The Mollusk

Quote from: MrMrs on March 05, 2021, 02:32:10 PMEllie won the right to decide the order.

Did she deserve that though? Because her winning the mini challenge was even more farcical than her remaining safe in the main challenge. It honestly felt like the producers were trying to justify her still being there despite not winning a badge yet - and this is not the first time they've done this sort of thing. Michelle even said her runway look was the least creative this week and her standup set was only funny (to the judges, not me; I thought it was awful) because of how bizarre it was. The actual comedy was thin on the ground.

Blue Jam

Ellie's "macho drag" wasn't very macho at all was it? I think A'Whora and Tayce did better. A'Whora's stand-up was terrible as she just went for shock value but she was still better than Ellie. Ellie had the most boring runway look as well. I really wouldn't have her down as a finalist but who knows what's going on here.

MrMrs

aye, ru decided she won so she won, that was her prize

the judging is a total joke but you've got to work with what you've got

MrMrs

also, am I the only one with a problem with Awhoras name? and the general misogyny against sex workers and women? it's kinda pathetic

The Mollusk

Tayce was deffo the best in the mini challenge. A hilarious demented camp Iggy Pop.

olliebean

Definitely enjoying the UK version more than the US one. A lot of the US queens seem quite generic, and the fact that there's so many of them in the competition doesn't help - I was quite surprised this week to see that there were still 9 of them in it. What? Those are 9 different people? Really? Whereas the UK contestants are all very distinct in my head.

The Mollusk

Comparing again to the US season, when you consider Kandy fucking Muse - who I think is distinctly average - was allowed to stay after losing her lip sync, it galled me massively that Tayce and A'Whora didn't get a "shantay you both stay", especially considering they're best friends pitted against one another and their performance was pretty much neck and neck.

The Mollusk

Anyone actually interested in the US season? It's not as good as the UK one but I'm still enjoying it. Gottmik is fuckin great and my partner and I absolutely love Symone. Their Snatch Game last night was deffo stronger overall than the UK one too.

I haven't warmed up to any of the queens much - Tamisha was great, I like Denali, Symone, and Rosé but that's about it. It's not as bad as season 11 but it's pretty fucking dull so far.

Cuellar

Yeah agree about the US snatch game, it was better. There were more queens there, of course, which I think helped.

Blue Jam

Snatch Game is always the weakest episode of Drag Race US for me, lots of American celebrities I've never heard of so I have no idea how accurate the impersonations are or why any of the jokes are so funny. Who did they impersonate this season?

Snatch Game in Drag Race UK is a different matter entirely. Loved Bimini giving us THE PWICEY and The Vivienne's Donald Trump is of course legendary.

The Mollusk

I'm usually more perversely entertained by the queens who completely fuck Snatch Game up, like Utica did this week with her awful Bob Ross. Her fashion taste is unique and polished and can often be brilliant, but her ability to diversify her act/style to fit the definition of the weekly challenges is almost nonexistent. She seems to think so many of her ideas will translate to everyone but are either not well-realised enough or too tenuous to do so. It's frustrating to see, since I love a weird queen, but her Bob Ross was captivatingly dreadful. The spray paint in the mouth ... mate.

Mobius

They're doing an Australian version of Drag Race which my partner is excited about because she's good friends with one of them called Coco Jumbo

olliebean

Did Utica have a problem with her eyes this week? She was wearing glasses as Bob Ross, which was just wrong (although not much about her Bob Ross was right), but also on the runway so I wondered if she'd had a problem wearing contacts this week. Her glasses didn't seem so strong that she couldn't have performed without them, though.

Cuellar

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 07, 2021, 04:43:36 PM
Snatch Game is always the weakest episode of Drag Race US for me, lots of American celebrities I've never heard of so I have no idea how accurate the impersonations are or why any of the jokes are so funny. Who did they impersonate this season?

Snatch Game in Drag Race UK is a different matter entirely. Loved Bimini giving us THE PWICEY and The Vivienne's Donald Trump is of course legendary.

The best of the US ones were Harriet Tubman, Mary Queen of Scots and, more boringly, Paris Hilton - although it was a good Paris Hilton. There were a couple of American social media stars who I'd never heard of.

Still baffled she wouldnt wear a ginger afro to mimic Bob Ross as its cultural appropriation, even Ru was laughing and confused 

Clownbaby

Laurence Chaney's tantrum about her slot in the stand up was very unpleasant. Right from the start of the series I could tell she'd be the type. It was ugly and childish and bitter. What a baby. It doesn't really fucking matter where you are in the lineup, if you're shite you're shite. Also I was really glad to see Tayce and Bimini staying classy and reasonable, wisely staying the fuck out of it. Tayce could have bitched about being put last but she didn't.

I'll say it again, W h y  is Ellie Diamond still around. Her routine made me laugh out of absolute confusion but that doesn't mean it was a good one. The same looks over and over as well. To be fair I didn't think anyone's routine was that funny. Bimini looked lovely as ever and was obviously the most confident and intelligent onstage, but I don't think anyone really shined in terms of being simply hilarious.

I think it's without a doubt between the Laurence Chaney (for some reason) and Bimini to win, and I'll flip a table if it's not Bimini.

thugler

Quote from: Clownbaby on March 09, 2021, 10:58:26 AM
Laurence Chaney's tantrum about her slot in the stand up was very unpleasant. Right from the start of the series I could tell she'd be the type. It was ugly and childish and bitter. What a baby. It doesn't really fucking matter where you are in the lineup, if you're shite you're shite. Also I was really glad to see Tayce and Bimini staying classy and reasonable, wisely staying the fuck out of it. Tayce could have bitched about being put last but she didn't.

I'll say it again, W h y  is Ellie Diamond still around. Her routine made me laugh out of absolute confusion but that doesn't mean it was a good one. The same looks over and over as well. To be fair I didn't think anyone's routine was that funny. Bimini looked lovely as ever and was obviously the most confident and intelligent onstage, but I don't think anyone really shined in terms of being simply hilarious.

I think it's without a doubt between the Laurence Chaney (for some reason) and Bimini to win, and I'll flip a table if it's not Bimini.

I genuinely think Ahora went due to the spat. Must have got to the producers/Ru. Her face was absolute daggars and the ridiculous fury she and Lawrence got into was way beyond the pale. It was like 'HOW DARE YOU USE YOUR RIGHT TO DECIDE THE ORDER TO BENEFIT YOU'. And that's despite me accepting totally that Ellie was the worst remaining and thinking her stand up act was pish.