Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:42:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Examples of when a zoom out reveals an object

Started by Magnum Valentino, February 23, 2021, 06:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum Valentino

I can think of one. The opening shot of Dawn of the Dead, with that mad orange carpeted wall, and the zoom out reveals that, aye, it's a wall. But until then, it was so close up it was impossible to tell what it was.

Can youse think of any other examples in either direction? So a zoom in on something that becomes abstract the closer it gets is also good.

It's almost like I can think of one but can't quite pull it out of the swamp in my head.

bgmnts

I want to say the opening to Lord of War where it zooms in on the bullet and follows the journey. Might be misremembering that though.

Dusty Substance

Opening credits of InnerSpace take place over a strange looking background which, given the story of the film might be molecules or blood cells, is revealed to be a mega close up of ice cubes in a glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcZlQZi_Pfc

BeardFaceMan

The end of Men In Black does a big fuck off zoom out.

mothman

The start - and end - of Rollerball (the 1975 original).

Magnum Valentino

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Barney Sloane on February 24, 2021, 01:39:41 AM
Opening credits of the 1989 Batman

To this day, my Dad seems to think the hugely ubiquitous Bat logo from 1989 is a bat's mouth.

EDIT: Yes, he's a fucking idiot.

Thomas

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The director's cut of Alien Resurrection opens on a closeup of a snarling monster, before pulling back to reveal that it's just an insect. I assume Joss Whedon wrote that, thinking it was really witty, then got all stroppy when it was cut.

SteveDave

Quote from: Dusty Substance on February 24, 2021, 09:52:32 AM
To this day, my Dad seems to think the hugely ubiquitous Bat logo from 1989 is a bat's mouth.

EDIT: Yes, he's a fucking idiot.

When I first saw the tease for that film I couldn't see the bat logo. All I could see was weird gold teeth. 

El Unicornio, mang

Does Blue Velvet have a shot zooming out from the inside of the dead ear or am I misremembering?

popcorn

A Serious Man

edit: just watched this again and it's actually cut so it's a bit of a cheat.

Tombola

Jurassic World opens with a big dinosaur foot that is actually a small bird foot:

Antz ends by panning out to show the film's setting from a human perspective:

madhair60

greenman

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on February 24, 2021, 02:05:32 PM
Does Blue Velvet have a shot zooming out from the inside of the dead ear or am I misremembering?

Its a shift down to a white picket fence and roses isnt it?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: greenman on February 24, 2021, 07:41:30 PM
Its a shift down to a white picket fence and roses isnt it?

Oh that's right, not sure why but I have a vivid image in my head of it zooming from inside the ear. Must be thinking of something else!

Jorge Okay

the end of From Dusk Till Dawn where it slowly zooms out to reveal the back of the stripper club is a massive ancient demon temple or something. wasnt even cgi just a painting for the bottom half of the screen. rly hated that film

phantom_power

Quote from: olliebean on February 24, 2021, 09:32:00 PM
Opening shot of Contact.

Is that the door knob shot? That might be one of the best shots in cinema history

Beginning of Jabberwocky, when the camera pans back from the close-up of Terry Jones' staring-eyed dead face.

JaDanketies

Quote from: madhair60 on February 24, 2021, 07:04:35 PM
The opening of every Rugrats episode

It was a great way to open every episode considering that's how babies and toddlers probably inspect things. I always fancied rewatching Rugrats. Maybe not the movies.

greenman

I have some kind of memory of a film starting with a zoom out of an eye but can't think exactly what although I spose that might be just so many films having an early eye shot in them(Blade Runner, Under the Skin, Repulsion, etc), maybe combined with the Psycho shower scene zoom out in my head.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: greenman on March 05, 2021, 12:04:08 PM
I have some kind of memory of a film starting with a zoom out of an eye but can't think exactly what although I spose that might be just so many films having an early eye shot in them(Blade Runner, Under the Skin, Repulsion, etc), maybe combined with the Psycho shower scene zoom out in my head.

Star Trek: First Contact.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: greenman on March 05, 2021, 12:04:08 PM
Cube?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 24, 2021, 01:47:29 PMThe director's cut of Alien Resurrection opens on a closeup of a snarling monster, before pulling back to reveal that it's just an insect. I assume Joss Whedon wrote that, thinking it was really witty, then got all stroppy when it was cut.

Such a shitty shot as well, terrible CGI then there's the nonsensical thing of the dude squashing it, putting the gunk in a straw and blowing it the ships's window. I mean, what the fuck?!
Actually thinking about it, maybe it's all an allegory for the film itself. You think "here comes an Alien film" but then they squash that and turn it into some CGI mess in space. And of course - it blows.