Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:32:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Examples of when a zoom out reveals an object

Started by Magnum Valentino, February 23, 2021, 06:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Team America's opening is a good related gag. Apparently they did it to frighten their investors at a test screening.

https://youtu.be/9zbjGUmI4Js

Replies From View

Quote from: Dusty Substance on February 24, 2021, 09:52:32 AM
To this day, my Dad seems to think the hugely ubiquitous Bat logo from 1989 is a bat's mouth.

EDIT: Yes, he's a fucking idiot.

What do you mean he "seems" to think it?  How does he communicate this?

St_Eddie

badaids

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 23, 2021, 06:33:59 PM
I can think of one. The opening shot of Dawn of the Dead, with that mad orange carpeted wall, and the zoom out reveals that, aye, it's a wall. But until then, it was so close up it was impossible to tell what it was.

Funnily enough I was thinking about this opening shot the other day. Even when I rewatch the film It's a real what the fuck moment when it zooms out to reveal a dazed Fran and your brain pieces the reality together. Such a great piece of film making.

phantom_power

Doesn't Day of the Dead have a similar thing with a calendar before the arms come out of the walls?

olliebean

Quote from: phantom_power on March 05, 2021, 11:40:57 AM
Is that the door knob shot? That might be one of the best shots in cinema history

I don't know about the door knob - is that the bathroom cabinet mirror shot? I meant the opening shot, a really long zoom out from the Earth until the entire universe turns out to be just a reflection in Ellie's eye.

phantom_power

Is it a cabinet mirror? I have memories of it being a reflection in a doorknob, which made it all the more amazing. Maybe that is a different film, or i am a twat

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 06, 2021, 05:05:52 AM
Team America's opening is a good related gag. Apparently they did it to frighten their investors at a test screening.

https://youtu.be/9zbjGUmI4Js

I remember the puppet gag lasting much longer and feeling a range of emotions as I began to accept the brilliance of this shitty puppet show before the pull back reveal.

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on March 06, 2021, 10:10:43 AM
Doesn't Day of the Dead have a similar thing with a calendar before the arms come out of the walls?

Nope.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: phantom_power on March 06, 2021, 10:10:43 AM

It's similar in the same sense that there's a wall involved in a surprise, but...you know, I'm not sure how to finish this sentence.

One surprise is "it's a wall!", the other is "ZombiesAhFuckScary".

St_Eddie

I should probably have elaborated; the film doesn't start on a closeup of the pumpkin calendar.  It starts with a shot of Sarah sat in the room, she looks over to the calendar on the wall, gets up and walks over to it, there a closeup of the calendar and then Sarah reaches out to touch it and that's when the zombos stick their hands through the wall.

lipsink

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on February 24, 2021, 09:29:57 PM
Oh that's right, not sure why but I have a vivid image in my head of it zooming from inside the ear. Must be thinking of something else!

Nah, Blue Velvet definitely does. Near the beginning there's a shot zooming into an ear then at the end there's a shot zooming out from Jeffrey's ear as he's sleeping in the sun.

Doesn't the beginning of Beetlejuice zoom out to reveal it's actually a model town? Plus in the 1998 Godzilla movie there's a zoom out revealing two characters are standing in a giant footprint.

Key

Quote from: lipsink on March 07, 2021, 11:09:04 AM
Nah, Blue Velvet definitely does. Near the beginning there's a shot zooming into an ear then at the end there's a shot zooming out from Jeffrey's ear as he's sleeping in the sun.

My favorite Lynch one is the Twin Peaks episode that begins with a slow zoom out from a terrifying dark and mysterious cave which turns out to be a polystyrene ceiling tile in a police station.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Doesn't the largely turd Beowulf have an enormously long ponderous zoom out from the hold to Grendel somewhere miles away up on the hill?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: lipsink on March 07, 2021, 11:09:04 AM

Ah OK, that makes sense now.