Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:26:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - the sixth (and final) season

Started by Blue Jam, February 24, 2021, 12:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

It's been confirmed: shooting to start in Albuquerque in the second week of March. Small parts being cast and actors being swabbed for the 'vid as I type:

https://www.abqjournal.com/2362564/better-call-saul-set-to-begin-production-in-final-season.html

What are the chances this extended 13-episode series will get an airing in 2021?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It seems like they've got a lot of ground to cover, if it's going to end with him going full on Saul - especially if the Gene storyline is going to be wrapped up as well. I think the writers have earned our faith though.

Blue Jam

Writer Thomas Schnauz confirmed last month that they've got the plots of 11 of the 13 episodes worked out:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/betterCallSaul/comments/l6px0u/update_on_season_6_11_out_of_13_episodes_written/

I trust they've figured out the ending by now, and I trust that it won't disappoint.

I'm most intrigued by the conclusion to the Cinnabon Gene thread. Those black and white opening segments get longer each season, I wouldn't be surprised if there ends up being an entire black and white episode- and personally I'd love that.

Not sure how the chronology is going to work though, as the final Cinnabon Gene bit will effectively be the ending of the entire BrBa story. Will that really be wrapped up by episode 1, or is that what those three extra episodes are for? Also, a Cinnabon Gene segment that doesn't end with a bit of a cliffhanger and leave the viewer with a feeling of dread? How will that work? I can't see anything but a tragic ending for Gene but it's impossible to predict anything with this show.

They've made noises about being interested in doing a Gene series (maybe just one season?) after Saul.

JamesTC

Heard a spoiler that Kim
Spoiler alert
leaves Saul
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
marries me
[close]
instead.

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 24, 2021, 12:26:37 PM

What are the chances this extended 13-episode series will get an airing in 2021?

I'm confidently hoping for early 2022. Season 5 started filming in April 2019 and started airing in February 2020.

Blue Jam

I posted this in the Thunderbob Nobody thread but Bob is going to have to eat a few more Cinnabons to play BB-era Saul and look the part:

https://youtu.be/Xs7pTA3Nfuo

Either that or we'll get some prosthetics and even more CGI.

That anti-ageing CGI is going to be really distracting after the cast's year off isn't it?

Blue Jam

Filming starts next week, here's Bob with a few words and a glimpse into the BCS house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rNB2wvy-JA

...and here's Rhea the roving Golden Globes reporter:

https://twitter.com/nocontextbcs/status/1366250196640948230

Nice home bar set-up. I can totally imagine Patrick Fabian sitting there, sipping scotch and chortling.

btw the expected air date is the first quarter of 2022, iirc filming is expected to be done by October. Started this thread a bit prematurely then but what the hell, we start the video game threads even earlier.

lankyguy95

This channel uploads a lot of cool Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul extras/behind the scenes stuff. These two videos that just went up this week are Vince Gilligan's detailed commentary on the ambush scene in the 'Bagman' episode. Fascinating to hear the sort of detail that goes into these violent scenes. Gilligan is as humble and complimentary of the team as he always is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgx1tlIW8GU&ab_channel=MoviesBreaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nu9UsX3ZYw&ab_channel=MoviesBreaker

Petey Pate

Love this show and can't wait for the final season, but can't help but feel that filming during a pandemic is prime example of FUCKDOWN USA. Hoping its all done safely, and that Jonathan Banks and Mark Margolis are both vaccinated.

buttgammon

Quote from: Petey Pate on March 04, 2021, 11:21:21 AM
Love this show and can't wait for the final season, but can't help but feel that filming during a pandemic is prime example of FUCKDOWN USA. Hoping its all done safely, and that Jonathan Banks and Mark Margolis are both vaccinated.

The last series was released around the time shit started to get real with the virus in America, and I remember constantly fearing the worst for them. Mike looks almost as old as Prince Phil.

Blue Jam

Another series of Employee Training on the way, plus 'Slippin' Jimmy', an animated series:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BetterCallSaul/status/1372943412962426887

They've already done an Employee Training series for both Madrigal Electromotive and Los Pollos Hermanos, what's left? This next one must be HHM, surely? Oh please tell me Howard Hamlin will be fronting this one. I love that total asshole.

Twit 2

buttgammon

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 20, 2021, 11:46:49 AM
Still my favourite TV show ever.

Mine too.

I miss this programme so much that I had a dream about it the other night. The first episode of the next series was weird - no Cinnabon Gene for starters - and reintroduced Walter, who spent most of the episode driving down a steep hill in the rain. Jimmy had slept with a woman who may or not have been Jesse's girlfriend Jane, and turned up at her house only to find she was married and wasn't home. He had to try and make normal conversation with her husband while making his excuses for being there, and then leaving.

Blue Jam

Oh buttgammon, how could you do that to poor Kim? ;)

I had a dream about BCS too recently! I dreamt I'd gone to the cinema to see Thunderbob Nobody and it turned out "Nobody" was code for BCS season 6 and it was actually one of those El Camino type deals where it was getting a limited cinema release and it was all finished and ready to go. Extreme wishful thinking there.

The only thing I remember of the plot was that Kim and Jimmy had a pre-school-age son and were interviewing nannies, and one they rejected for being a meth-head was played by Kaitlin Olson. Don't think that bit was wishful thinking.

Blue Jam

Also I'm due to celebrate a significant birthday in September and Mr Jam and I had been discussing a trip to Vegas before we decided Albuquerque sounded much more interesting. Of course I'd do the RV tour and visit The Dog House and all that touristy bollocks but there's so much more to do there, like the Sandia mountains cablecar, the UNM observatory where they let you play with the telescopes (under relentless supervision) and a fucking nuclear museum. BCS6 is supposed to be wrapping up in October so I could have had a good ol' stalk of the filming locations, not gonna happen now :(

JamesTC

I actually had a BCS dream recently. Saul was trying to rush people out of a Tesco Cafe because there was a bomb in it.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 21, 2021, 12:04:34 PM
Also I'm due to celebrate a significant birthday in September and Mr Jam and I had been discussing a trip to Vegas before we decided Albuquerque sounded much more interesting. Of course I'd do the RV tour and visit The Dog House and all that touristy bollocks but there's so much more to do there, like the Sandia mountains cablecar, the UNM observatory where they let you play with the telescopes (under relentless supervision) and a fucking nuclear museum. BCS6 is supposed to be wrapping up in October so I could have had a good ol' stalk of the filming locations, not gonna happen now :(

Do either of you drive? Suggest a few days driving through NM and Arizona. The high desert is amazingly varied and changes completely every 20-30 miles.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 21, 2021, 02:36:52 PM
Do either of you drive? Suggest a few days driving through NM and Arizona. The high desert is amazingly varied and changes completely every 20-30 miles.

Nope. Not really needed to drive since I left home as I've always lived in cities, the only reason I'd really want to would be so I could hire a car on holiday in places like Reykyavik, Sicily, Las Vegas, the Scotrish highlands etc so I could go on little excursions away from the towns and cities.

I'm sure driving through a desert is spectacular but the idea also freaks me out. Driving in the kind of place where if you car breaks down and you can't get a phone signal you'll be dead within 24 hours and your body wouldn't be discovered before the vultures got to it. Don't think I'd be as cut out for that sort of thing as Mike is and I don't fancy drinking my own piss.

On one of the BCS Insider podcasts Vince Gilligan said ABQ was one of the most compact, walkable cities he'd filmed in. Made a mental note of that.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 20, 2021, 10:33:35 AM
Another series of Employee Training on the way, plus 'Slippin' Jimmy', an animated series:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BetterCallSaul/status/1372943412962426887

Sounds like it could be the broad comedy show that Better Call Saul was originally planned as.

Who would have thought that Breaking Bad would be the Happy Days of our era?

Blue Jam

More details on that spin-off of a spin-off, Slippin' Jimmy:

https://entertainment.ie/amp/tv/tv-news/better-call-saul-fear-the-walking-dead-spin-offs-478841/

Quote'Slippin Jimmy' will be an animated spin-off set in the same universe and is currently in development.

Set many years before the events of 'Saul', it is said to set in the home of young Jimmy and Chuck McGill in Cicero, Illinois.

The series is reportedly being created in the "retro style of Fat Albert."

Each episode pays homage "to everything from spaghetti Westerns to Buster Keaton to 'After Hours'."

The spin-off of a spin-off is also a prequel of a prequel!

More like Muppet Babies than that half-hour Client Of The Week sitcom then. Sounds like they're having fun with the art style, could be very playful (Fat Albert and The Cosby Kids though? Maybe stay away from anything Cosby, guys).

It also sounds like it'll be a bit more substantial than the Employee Training series, not just a series of little promos geo-locked to the US.

I hope this won't be like the animated version of Trailer Park Boys and it'll actually be worth a watch. If they keep the same cast I'm sure it will be.

Petey Pate

It being animated is also surely the only way they can still utilise Bob Odenkirk and Michael McKean without stretching credibility with makeup and anti-aging CGI.

Blue Jam

Heh, that too! I wonder if that means we'll be hearing their voices in this- they've both got very distinctive voices, it'd be hard to cast a couple of soundalikes.

I'm not sure about the Fat Albert art style, presumably in these days of 4KHD we'll be getting something a little more sophisticated, BoJack Horseman level at least. There's some really good fan art out there, if this is going to have some retro stylings then I'd love to see something like this:

Which characters will be in this, then? Jimmy, Chuck, Ma and Pa McGill, Marco, Jimmy's first two wives, Chet... oh no, not Chet, I don't think I want to see a cutesy cartoon rendering of that...

Blue Jam

...no Kim of course but Rhea Seehorn is working on an animated series of her own:

Quote[AMC] is also developing 'Cooper's Bar', which is "about a "unique watering hole located in the backyard of one man's bungalow."

It comes from executive producer Rhea Seehorn, who plays Kim Wexler on 'Saul'.

Oh please tell me this one man will be
Spoiler alert
MR ACKER!
[close]

Blue Jam

...and apparently a live action pilot of Cooper's Bar was made, but it has since been reimagined as an animated series (budget reasons, maybe?)

Trailer for the original here:

https://youtu.be/0dX7WBYr7_4

Warning: Contains Racy Horn saying the words
Spoiler alert
"I have the biggest dick in Hollywood"
[close]
. Try not to swoon ;)

Blue Jam

The cast have been out getting jabbed:

Good excuse for a gun show... And yes, that's Stephen Michael Quezada on the left, but this isn't a spoiler- Today I Learned that he's a local politician in Albuquerque and his responsibilities include overseeing ABQ's mass vaccination effort. No word on whether Gomie will return, looks like his actor might be a bit too busy.

Dex Sawash

Blue Jam

^^^ if that's real then it's the worst thing I have ever seen.

Bob's evidently been avoiding those, dude looks fuckin' nails, fair play. I love Rhea's 90's t-shirt as well, very Britpop.

Looks like Jonathan Banks qnd Mark Margolis will be shielded from the 'vid then, and that's all we wanted to know. Good.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Blue Jam

I am actually in the process of making a curry right now and the ingredients include cinnamon, coconut, almonds and mint. Sounds a bit mad but not that mad.

mothman

Went to get a bacon sandwich from the canteen at work, just before end of service, and they were out of bread/toast and rolls. So I toasted a raisin teacake, slapped some bacon in and drizzled with maple syrup. Perfection. Not sure about fried chicken on what's basically a cinnamon scone with cinnamon ice cream sauce, but I'd try it... once...