Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:02:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais Goes Anti-Woke

Started by Tony Tony Tony, February 24, 2021, 01:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McFlymo

Quote from: crankshaft on February 24, 2021, 09:17:47 PM

(edited to add - Gervais is a cunt who hasn't been funny since series 2 of Extras)

This got me banned off of that Twitter a couple of weeks ago. True though, innit?

New Page: You can't say anything these days

dannyfc

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 24, 2021, 08:50:45 PM
Recent?

This Country
Detectorists
Ghosts
Out of Her Mind
Back to Life

Pre-pandemic anyway.  The last two deal with some fairly heavy subject matter as well.  Granted that's 5 shows and 10 series over 4 or so years so that's not exactly disproving your point.

First two are great tbf, haven't heard of the rest so will check them out.

Jumblegraws

Don't have anything to add except that I assumed this was a months/years old thread that had been bumped and was very surprised to see otherwise.

Captain Z

There was a YouTube video that kept getting recommended to me called 'The Best of Harry & Paul... The Death of Comedy', which was a compilation of the clips from the more recent Harry and Paul show, accompanied by a moaning paragraph (and many comments in agreement) about how 'you couldn't get away with this on the biased woke BBC now'. It was uploaded in 2016, just two years after the 'Story Of The Twos' special and one year before Harry & Paul were literally getting away with some incredibly contentious clips and impressions in their '25 years of' special.

machotrouts

[sees the Venus of Willendorf] That wouldn't get made today! Not in these woke times!

Blue Jam

Quote from: NoSleep on February 24, 2021, 05:26:00 PM
Isn't he just echoing his "buddy", Jerry Seinfeld?

...and has he ever seen that show by the buddy of his "buddy", Curb Your Enthusiasm, and noticed how astonishingly un-PC it is? This is the show that had "The Fatwa Season" FFS.

Lots of good British examples here, let's add some American ones:

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is another good counter-example. It's had a few episodes removed from Netflix but it's also had a 15th season commissioned so I'd say it's pretty far from being #CANCELLED.

Corporate only ended last year and that's dark as hell. It did the whole "joking about suicide" thing much better than After Life too.

I'd ask if Gervais had seen BoJack Horseman but then I remembered he's in BoJack Horseman.

If we can stretch to Canadian comedy, Trailer Park Boys isn't ancient history and it ain't sanitised or PC. Ditto Nathan For You, which left me thinking Nathan Fielder might be an actual genius.

I don't know about you but I've been spoiled for comedy choice lately, I can't related to this talk of "cancel culture" killing it off at all.

Mobius

He's in Curb too.

It's always made me happy that Coogan's episode was better

Blue Jam

Quote from: Mobius on February 25, 2021, 07:55:49 AM
He's in Curb too.

It's always made me happy that Coogan's episode was better

Oh yes, so he is, I had clean forgotten that despite watching it recently. You're also right about Coogan, he did a much better job in his guest appearance.

Gervais was in Louis. Fair enough, that one actually was #CANCELLED.

Mr Trumpet

David Lynch was funnier in Louis, and he doesn't claim to be a comedian.

Quote from: Captain Z on February 25, 2021, 01:54:12 AM
There was a YouTube video that kept getting recommended to me called 'The Best of Harry & Paul... The Death of Comedy', which was a compilation of the clips from the more recent Harry and Paul show, accompanied by a moaning paragraph (and many comments in agreement) about how 'you couldn't get away with this on the biased woke BBC now'. It was uploaded in 2016, just two years after the 'Story Of The Twos' special and one year before Harry & Paul were literally getting away with some incredibly contentious clips and impressions in their '25 years of' special.

Those sketches are a compilation from 2007-2010 or something, I think. What I find funny is that a lot of people complaining about these sorts of things probably voted Conservative, seemingly missing the point that voting for them leads to a more conservative society.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Captain Z on February 25, 2021, 01:54:12 AM

I was watching Enfield's 7-Up parody sketch on the YouTube app last night and this video came on afterwards. I probably would've watched it if not for the gammony intro text, which provoked an instant "Fuck off!" from my partner, so we watched a 'How It's Made' about 'whoopie pies' instead (sadly with the joyless dad-joke-eschewing American voiceover; Tony Hirst would've had a lot of fun with 'whoopie pies', the shit puns write themselves).

idunnosomename

These days you can't even call a midget a mong!

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: big egg on February 24, 2021, 09:21:02 PM
I read an interview with Simon Bird, where the interviewer, and I think Simon agreed, said that the Inbetweeners wouldn't get made today. I've seen that sentiment expressed in various things I've read about the Inbetweeners in the last couple of years, and I don't buy it at all. I think it needs a commissioning editor to explicitly say which bits of the Inbetweeners wouldn't fly in this day and age, because it seems like bollocks to me.
"I'm Simon Bird and I'm so edgy, after I made the Inbetweeners they had to change the law to ban me."

poodlefaker

I wonder if he's seen This Country and what he genuinely feels about it. Because to me, it clearly owes a big debt to The Office, but has more depth, more ideas etc and surpasses it in many ways. Certainly surpasses anything he's done since. And it's made by people 30 yrs younger than him. Has he ever mentioned it?

Ferris

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 25, 2021, 12:39:20 PM
"I'm Simon Bird and I'm so edgy, after I made the Inbetweeners they had to change the law to ban me."

Laughed

frajer

Quote from: poodlefaker on February 25, 2021, 12:46:44 PM
I wonder if he's seen This Country and what he genuinely feels about it. Because to me, it clearly owes a big debt to The Office, but has more depth, more ideas etc and surpasses it in many ways. Certainly surpasses anything he's done since. And it's made by people 30 yrs younger than him. Has he ever mentioned it?

Doubt he's even aware of it. When pushing After Life 2 the dickhead genuinely said he hadn't watched comedy for the past two years, and that After Life was inspired and influenced by his love for Scandi-Noir.

Fair fucks, I did love that episode of The Killing where Sarah Lund called all those ginger kids cunts and said she wouldn't rape them even if she was a paedo.

Ferris

Quote from: frajer on February 25, 2021, 01:10:21 PM
When pushing After Life 2 the dickhead genuinely said he hadn't watched comedy for the past two years, and that After Life was inspired and influenced by his love for Scandi-Noir.

Surely this isn't true?

Lost Oliver

Quote from: madhair60 on February 24, 2021, 09:30:56 PM
I think he's right, because they have already made The Inbetweeners and to do so again would be a complete waste of time

Couldn't agree more.

Cuellar

You can't even call Ricky Gervais a fat cunt, these days.  If you do, people say what about James Corden?  You can't even call Corden a fat cunt, though, as there's more valid reasons he's a cunt.

Bazooka

QuoteI haven't really watched comedy for two years. I've watched 'Scandi Noir' – The Bridge, The Killing, Before We Die, Black Lake, Greyzone. They're amazing. The pacing's different. Uncompromised. It's for grown-ups

Saying "I haven't really" is different to saying "I haven't", but whatever.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Gervais does know that he can just do drama if he wants, doesn't he? Like you can do drama and have funny moments in the drama.

jobotic

I think I'm the best footballer in the world.

I haven't watched anyone else play football ever so who's to say I'm wrong?

Ferris

frajer

Quote from: Bazooka on February 25, 2021, 02:19:00 PM
Saying "I haven't really" is different to saying "I haven't", but whatever.

Yes, I misremembered it slightly before I looked up the article. But it still seems like an odd claim for an active comedian to make.

Blue Jam

I've watched a lot of Mr. Show over lockdown. All the episodes are on YouTube and there are loads of comments like "This would never get made now". Netflix did a reboot in 2015 and I believe they're in talks about doing another series.

Alright, Netflix did cut out a sketch featuring blackface, but they left in one where David Cross basically just calls a load of people cunts.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on February 25, 2021, 02:20:29 PM
Gervais does know that he can just do drama if he wants, doesn't he?

Yes, many comedians do well in serious roles so Gervais certainly could do drama. If he could act.

Blue Jam

Quote from: poodlefaker on February 25, 2021, 12:46:44 PM

The Coopers certainly have mentioned the influence of The Office and given it high praise in plenty of interviews. I refuse to believe he hasn't noticed this or been even slightly curious about the show.

I'll bet his ears pricked up at word of the American remake too.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 25, 2021, 03:04:09 PM
The Coopers certainly have mentioned the influence of The Office and given it high praise in plenty of interviews. I refuse to believe he hasn't noticed this or been even slightly curious about the show.

I'll bet his ears pricked up at word of the American remake too.

Gervaise is the type who talk a good game on how much they hate Hollywood and how corrupt it is etc. but also is desperate to be accepted by America/established American figures.