Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:07:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party - Any other leader would be 20 points ahead

Started by king_tubby, February 24, 2021, 02:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

Quote from: Quote on April 06, 2021, 10:39:04 AM
Regardless of Starmer's known and evident shitness, it's amazing how the Tories continue to thrive even in areas their policies decimate, pitching themselves as the solution to the problems they cause. Brexit really has been an inadvertent masterstroke.

I remember reading Thomas Frank's book about this in America - What's The Matter With Kansas - what, fifteen years ago? And it's just as bad here now.

Yes, people in rustbelt shitholes getting enthused by Republicans. "This lifelong millionaire is just who we need to strike back against the elites & their establishment."

Now we get Bozza, the Eton-educated man of the people who's really in touch with the concerns of the post-industrial North.

BlodwynPig

The Tories are investing heavily in the North at the moment - Freeports, Darlington, Blyth...Blue Wall

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 06, 2021, 01:19:31 PM
The Tories are investing heavily in the North at the moment - Freeports, Darlington, Blyth...Blue Wall
The new coal mine at Whitehaven too - I could almost believe that was a move designed to fuck over Labour: "so you don't want fossil fuels, and deny these good people jobs? Did you hear that, Copeland?"

jobotic

Quote from: lipsink on April 06, 2021, 12:37:07 PM
Starmer can hold a press conference. Organised by someone else.

But can he cure gayness?

lipsink

Matt Forde's been awfully quiet about Labour's recent polling, hasn't he?

idunnosomename

i was thinking just the other day about fatt morde and where he disappeared to after Spitting Image finished. I guess now he's got his little political house to live in he's just happy.

lipsink

As long as an unfunny, comfortable comedian has got his Party back, that's the most important thing.

Old Nehamkin

Regardless of Starmer's known and evident shitness, it's amazing how the Tories continue to thrive even in areas their policies decimate, pitching themselves as the solution to the problems they cause. Brexit really has been an inadvertent masterstroke.

It is always worth remembering that, whether in the American rustbelt or in the north of England, the working class residents who actually go out and vote Tory/Republican are significantly outnumbered by those who do not vote at all.

I've become very wary of the way working class voters are often characterised in these discussions as simply being docile rubes willingly signing up for their own decimation time and time again, a premise which carries an implicit shrug of "well, what can you do?" and effectively serves to let both the conservative and liberal wings of the political/media establishment off the hook for their role in both actively seeking to disenfranchise these groups as well as fostering within them a complete apathy and distrust in electoral politics as a means of improving their material conditions in any way.

The above is also why I remain suspicious of the idea that the people in these constituencies are provably and innately prone towards far-right ethno-nationalism because a plurality of them were won over by the transformative, economically populist rhetoric of the Brexit campaign that the Remain side failed to puncture with their limp defence of the EU on pragmatic neoliberal grounds. This is of course not to deny or handwave the very real presence of racism and xenophobia as motivating factors among Brexit voters, just to point out again that the notion of working class people as innately conservative and resistant to any progressive change is a piece of received wisdom which the establishment has a vested interest in maintaining, and people on the left shouldn't fall into the trap of accepting it at face value.

Paul Calf

Of course he can stay calm during interviews. No-one ever asks him anything difficult and he doesn't care anyway. Politics is a big game to people like him.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on April 06, 2021, 02:00:31 PM
It is always worth remembering that, whether in the American rustbelt or in the north of England, the working class residents who actually go out and vote Tory/Republican are significantly outnumbered by those who do not vote at all.

I've become very wary of the way working class voters are often characterised in these discussions as simply being docile rubes willingly signing up for their own decimation time and time again, a premise which carries an implicit shrug of "well, what can you do?" and effectively serves to let both the conservative and liberal wings of the political/media establishment off the hook for their role in both actively seeking to disenfranchise these groups as well as fostering within them a complete apathy and distrust in electoral politics as a means of improving their material conditions in any way.

The above is also why I remain suspicious of the idea that the people in these constituencies are provably and innately prone towards far-right ethno-nationalism because a plurality of them were won over by the transformative, economically populist rhetoric of the Brexit campaign that the Remain side failed to puncture with their limp defence of the EU on pragmatic neoliberal grounds. This is of course not to deny or handwave the very real presence of racism and xenophobia as motivating factors among Brexit voters, just to point out again that the notion of working class people as innately conservative and resistant to any progressive change is a piece of received wisdom which the establishment has a vested interest in maintaining, and which people on the left shouldn't fall into the trap of accepting it at face value.

Which is worse: to be an ethnonationalist conservative innately opposed to any kind of progress even when it will benefit you enormously or to remain silent while fascists steal your children's future? Staying silent is not an option. Inaction is complicity in the status quo.

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

The above is also why I remain suspicious of the idea that the people in these constituencies are provably and innately prone towards far-right ethno-nationalism because a plurality of them were won over by the transformative, economically populist rhetoric of the Brexit campaign that the Remain side failed to puncture with their limp defence of the EU on pragmatic neoliberal grounds. This is of course not to deny or handwave the very real presence of racism and xenophobia as motivating factors among Brexit voters, just to point out again that the notion of working class people as innately conservative and resistant to any progressive change is a piece of received wisdom which the establishment has a vested interest in maintaining, and which people on the left shouldn't fall into the trap of accepting it at face value.

This is true. Disengagement really is key to the continuing right wing hegemony, which is why Trump invested heavily in black voter suppression in the US.

jobotic

https://mobile.twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/1379346138755694595?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Aaronovitch bemoans the left for not wishing Saudi Starmer well, then asks where it leaves us when they lose? Centrists don't ask where it leaves them when their boy loses because they know - exactly where they are now, well off and enjoying the benefits of the club.

It's only a game.. .

idunnosomename

I know this grey goo bald cunt doesnt exist outside of twitter and i shouldnt let him get to me but fucking hell i hate him

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1379426946837188616?s=19

Fambo Number Mive

Is the Chris Deerin who wrote that article the same Chris Deerin is the New Statesman's Scotland editor?

QuoteBut still, Starmer's approach is being judged ineffective by those who think the Labour leader should approach the Government in much the way Roy Keane used to approach the other team's midfielders. After all, as a political strategist friend of mine likes to put it, politics is a contact sport. If you don't do it to the other side, they'll do it to you. You must seize on every mistake, magnify every weakness, demand resignations and apologies at every turn. Forget perspective, forget maturity – it's kill or be killed.

It is possible, though, to look at Starmer and see something different – to see him as the representative of a better politics that is trying to be born. After nearly a decade of push-button hysteria, of populists playing the race card and the sovereignty card and trying to kindle a culture war beneath our feet, of the othering of anyone who doesn't belong to your own narrow sect, the Labour leader is attempting to reassert the values of integrity, consideration and authenticity. If every action has a reaction, he is the anti-populist, offering a return to simple, grown-up decency.

What perspective and maturity did Starmer show when he demanded children back in school in September, "no ifs, no buts" at a time when cases were starting to rise again? How can Starmer be called an "anti-populist" when he is wrapping himself in the flag? Perhaps Starmer will become the "anti-populist" for wealthy centrists who would be happy with the last ten years if it wasn't for Brexit when he does nothing political and doesn't criticise the Tories outside of PMQS that they all love so much. He'll describe himself as being "beyond politics" or something.

One of the highest death tolls from COVID and people are still making it sound like it's a bad thing to hold the government to account properly.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: jobotic on April 06, 2021, 02:34:56 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DAaronovitch/status/1379346138755694595?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Aaronovitch bemoans the left for not wishing Saudi Starmer well, then asks where it leaves us when they lose? Centrists don't ask where it leaves them when their boy loses because they know - exactly where they are now, well off and enjoying the benefits of the club.

It's only a game.. .

In response, someone linked to an excellent article posted on the JVL website: https://www.jewishvoiceforlabour.org.uk/article/one-year-of-keir-starmer/?utm_source=mailpoet&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=new-article-from-jvl-newsletter-post-title_8

JVL Introduction

Keir Starmer has just come up to the end of his first year as Labour leader.

Margaret Hodge is ecstatic: "One year into his leadership, I can feel proud of Labour again – I hope those who left have the confidence to come back."

Alan Johnson on LBC, in an orgy of self-delusion, couldn't restrain himself. In December 2020 he tells us, he thought Labour was finished "because this cult of the far left had virtually taken over the Party at all levels." But not to fear, brave Keir Starmer put himself forward and turned it around...

The rest, as they say, is history.

Except the polls are dreadful, no-one has a clue what Labour stands for, and most sensible commentators of whatever political persuasion, see Starmer as making a right old cobblers of it.

Here blogger Phil Burton-Cartledge casts an enquiring eye over the whole damn mess.

This article was originally published by All That Is Solid ... on Sun 4 Apr 2021. Read the original here.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 06, 2021, 03:05:13 PM
Alan Johnson
No better ideologue for the right than a former member of the Communist Party. Thanks, Alan!

The above is also why I remain suspicious of the idea that the people in these constituencies are provably and innately prone towards far-right ethno-nationalism because a plurality of them were won over by the transformative, economically populist rhetoric of the Brexit campaign that the Remain side failed to puncture with their limp defence of the EU on pragmatic neoliberal grounds. This is of course not to deny or handwave the very real presence of racism and xenophobia as motivating factors among Brexit voters, just to point out again that the notion of working class people as innately conservative and resistant to any progressive change is a piece of received wisdom which the establishment has a vested interest in maintaining, and people on the left shouldn't fall into the trap of accepting it at face value.

Yes, all good points.

It is far more complicated than my simplistic, kneejerk 'what's up with these dickheads?' reaction. I know plenty of people who even when Corbyn seemed to be offering them something worthwhile didn't even hear about it because they'd checked out of any engagement with politics and simply written the whole thing off as 'they're all the same'.

Buelligan

Yeah, me too.  Someone particularly close to me who's been as red as roses all his life but just couldn't get past his belief that all politicians are lying cunts, not until the post mortem anyway.  That's a big problem and Nehamkin is right on the nail about it.  It's why NIP, standing up, proud and clear, telling the world a new story is so important.

Buelligan

What is wrong with these people?  It really is as if they want Labour to collapse.  Even if you hate the Left and want them out, fair or foul, there are ways to do it, slower ways but ways that don't mean really fucking off huge swathes of your electorate and support just before an election.  It's utterly bizarre.

Hope you don't mind Shoulders, I'm going to copy this over to the NIP thread.

king_tubby

Labour MP Stephen Timms tweeting about how ace Jesus House is. Did he not get the memo or is this the right giving it the big 'fuck off' to Starmer?

Buelligan

There's probably enough blood in the water now that sharks like Timms can't tell who to bite any more.  They'll catch their own tails soon enough, I hope.

imitationleather

Quote from: king_tubby on April 06, 2021, 06:55:12 PM
Labour MP Stephen Timms tweeting about how ace Jesus House is. Did he not get the memo or is this the right giving it the big 'fuck off' to Starmer?

When you have the safest Labour seat in the country you can do what you want.

lipsink

Just make Labour a Far Right Party already and be done with it.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 03, 2021, 12:42:18 PM
They've issued a statement on Jesus House, well actually it's a statement on how supportive of LGBTQ issues they claim to be and makes no link to Jesus House at all, but you know.

https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1378305611151110144

Sounds like partridge named it

holyzombiejesus

Ah, just noticed the 'by phone for @CWUnews' bit. That explains why loads of wanky MPs have been firing off snarky tweets to Dave Ward today.

https://twitter.com/DaveWardGS/status/1379427961632288780

https://twitter.com/DaveWardGS/status/1379422850151424005