Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:12:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party - Any other leader would be 20 points ahead

Started by king_tubby, February 24, 2021, 02:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 08, 2021, 02:36:42 PM
i cant believe there are people in the labour party intent on wrecking the current leadership. awful unprecedented stuff.

A disgrace. Delighted the grauniad has no issues with calling this out.

Buelligan

i cant believe there are people in the labour party intent on wrecking the current leadership. awful unprecedented stuff. clap for sir kieth at 8pm tonight.

Good.  But I hope he gets it off a toilet seat.

pigamus

Quote from: Buelligan on April 08, 2021, 10:43:43 AM
This is the sort of stuff Labour should be saying, maybe on the statues debate, maybe just because it's true and needs saying -

https://twitter.com/FreeNorthNow/status/1380074438700494849

Their Twitter game is really good isn't it?

Buelligan

Heheh, it's certainly a lot cleverer and more amusing than Labour's.  Have to confess, never read the tories - unless someone pokes them under my nose. 

pigamus

I mean I know there's more to running a political party than social media but I've been well impressed so far, good luck to them

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Buelligan on April 08, 2021, 10:43:43 AM
This is the sort of stuff Labour should be saying, maybe on the statues debate, maybe just because it's true and needs saying -

https://twitter.com/FreeNorthNow/status/1380074438700494849

The sad fact is that some people associate Food Banks with altruism not social injustice and would take this as being a genuine achievement and proof of our charitable nature. I wish I was joking.

Johnny Yesno

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 08, 2021, 06:15:40 PM
The sad fact is that some people associate Food Banks with altruism not social injustice and would take this as being a genuine achievement and proof of our charitable nature. I wish I was joking.

Not helped by Tory and right-wing Labour politicians doing PR shots grinning next to them rather than loudly and clearly saying THESE FUCKING THINGS SHOULDN'T BE NECESSARY.

Sebastian Cobb

i cant believe there are people in the labour party intent on wrecking the current leadership. awful unprecedented stuff. clap for sir kieth at 8pm tonight.

More to the point when do I get my lordship?

Buelligan

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 08, 2021, 06:20:10 PM
Fuck! This was mentioned in that thread and I somehow missed it at the time: https://fullfact.org/electionlive/2019/dec/9/food-banks-more-mcdonalds/

That's so shocking, there aren't fucking words.  How can any government allow this to be normal?  How can any opposition do nothing about it?  Something's got to change.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The evil 'Big Society' concept where the Right realised that because everyone - correctly - associates charity with goodness, they wouldn't join the dots as they plugged the gaps in state provision left by austerity.

We are clearly craving tent cities and $30,000 bills if we need emergency healthcare. All the while they will point to the rich and even the middle classes and say 'this is what you can become if you knuckle down'. Apparently, a massive cunt.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 08, 2021, 08:12:54 PM
The evil 'Big Society' concept where the Right realised that because everyone - correctly - associates charity with goodness, they wouldn't join the dots as they plugged the gaps in state provision left by austerity.

We are clearly craving tent cities and $30,000 bills if we need emergency healthcare. All the while they will point to the rich and even the middle classes and say 'this is what you can become if you knuckle down'. Apparently, a massive cunt.

Give a man a fish and you are goodness.
Teach a man to fish and you are a grade A cheapskate cunt.

idunnosomename

shit i forgot to clap. sending sirkef my forts and prers.

BlodwynPig

No idea what's going on here but it made me laugh.

The latest in a long running series of 'Keith attempts to look like a normal human being' photo ops. Sadly in this case he's been pitted against an inanimate religious statue who's easily blown him out of the water in both the humanity and charisma stakes.

idunnosomename

no. even if there was. there wasn't.

edit wow sir kier dildo

Sebastian Cobb

Saw this today and it almost feels like they're talking about another party.

Jess Phillips must be FUMING.

bgmnts

Why does it look like a H&M fashion ad or something?

bgmnts

Yeah but have them looking like statesperson like or something I dunno. They just look like models.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on April 09, 2021, 10:22:40 AM
Yeah but have them looking like statesperson like or something I dunno. They just look like models.

How about this?

Buelligan

Do not know why they did those photos - fair enough to talk to any media source (almost any media source) about something relevant to politics or being an mp but the fucking photos, the subtly undermining photos, the poses, reminding the world that even if you're the fucking Prime Minister, if you're a woman, you're primarily there to be judged like an animal.

Zetetic

Actual article:
https://www.vogue.co.uk/arts-and-lifestyle/article/female-labour-mps

I presume the photos (taken by a woman, for an article written by a woman, in a magazine whose readership is 70-80% women[nb]I don't think these are trump cards, but that they're still worth noting.[/nb]) are a requirement for getting an article in British Vogue.

I appreciate the wider issue might be "What is point Vogue?".

Buelligan

What is its point?  What is the point of dressing up politicians in matching outfits?  Making them look like polished middle class ladies with free time?  What is the point of that?

On the women participants thing, have a listen to Ash Sarkar doing something for DoubleDown on race - think about her comments regarding the people involved in writing the report in question, her ideas about black or brown tory MPs and Margaret Thatcher - consider how those observations link into sexism and the continuing fight to uphold the patriarchy.

Paul Calf

Sign my petition to dress female politicians in hair shirts and dungarees, placed solidly on a tractor or digging for potatoes for all and any public appeareances.

I mean, yeah, it's Vogue. It doesn't interest me at all and that's fine because it's not aimed at me. I'd be surprised if many CaBbers have subscriptions.

Buelligan

Not about that at all.  It's about the media and the establishment subtly compromising people like Sultana.  And her going along with it.  I'd have no objection if they used images of her or the others, at work or addressing a meeting or appearing on Question Time or any other part of her job as an MP and politician.  What I object to is her and her colleagues being dressed up in matching clothes and posed around like dolls.  Is it normal for male politicians to be made over and staged like models, presented in this way?  Why would a powerful media outlet choose to present women, women whose business is to represent the working class and shape the future, in this neutered way?

Also that the clothes they're wearing look very anodyne, expensive, not the sort of thing working class women wear.  The sort of thing the ruling class wear.  And that is subtly compromising. 

Zetetic

Sebastian Cobb

The arguments about Vogue are valid, but I don't see why we're being asked to answer for their choices.

What I find interesting is these articles are reporting on people working outside of the leadership effectively, given so much is focused on kieths failing management.