Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:39:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party - Any other leader would be 20 points ahead

Started by king_tubby, February 24, 2021, 02:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 09, 2021, 07:46:56 PM
Lose all hope and imagination and individual agency children! Prepare for a world where your actions can achieve nothing.

When I was in 6th form we had to do a mandatory week long 'careers' sessions in the run up to our a levels. This was already taking the piss because alevels classes were usually only a few hours a day because of course work, and most of us had organised revision to attend because the final exams were only months away. It was pointless timewasting even at best and the way the teachers who organised it had so much glee that that we'd all get a taste of the 'real world' made me bitterly angry. Real Blairite contempt and disrespect of youthful ambition and interests creeping into everything.

It turned out to be nothing but free market dogma spewed at us from nine to five for a whole week. Only a couple of the speakers were qualified to speak about employment and qualifications - the rest were local business owners who were kindly donating their time to lecture us on their political opinions and describe their boring jobs and inspire us with their successful lifestyles that sounded only marginally better than being actually dead.

What I've never forgotten is one of these dudes, right gammon as we'd say today, owned (not ran) some kind of factory. He told us in a great a detail a story about hiring people to work on his production line. He grinned telling us about how he picked people who had initiative and gave a 'little extra' to the job, implying unpaid overtime and people working a job far below their level of competence and expectations. He grinned more when he was telling us about how his production line had a problem with shattering plastic - he said he had to spend money hiring a chemical engineer as a consultant to solve the problem. He grinned telling us this person was fresh out of university and clearly very into his chosen area of thermal chemistry. He said he excitedly rushed down to the production line and did all kinds of tests and studies of the products, trying to work out how to make them as heat resistant as possible and improve efficacy of the production line. Seriousbusiness man wanted us to know that this new employee was properly excited to put his skills to the test in a real workplace and solving a real problem. A real passion for it and skills to match. At the end of it all the engineer presented his findings to him - he had lots of folders and told him he'd made progress and was looking forward to innovating a new way to run the production to make better products. Bigbossman asked him what he'd done in the mean time about the problem. Chemical engineer apparently replied he was just cooling stuff with buckets of icewater while he looked for permanent solution. Bigbossman said so its solved. Engineer said no, not solved, its very exciting actually, I've made all these studies and we could really make great products so much more efficently he could experiment implimenting his changes. Bigbossman laughed telling us that he told the guy he didn't care about the science or making better products, he claimed to have fired the guy on the spot - terminated his contract and simply told his grunt workers to continue with the icewater buckets indefinitely because it clearly kept the profit coming in and there weren't any complaints. Luvverly. He said the guy was flabbergasted, couldn't believe he didn't want to understand the molecular science behind why his production line was fucking up. Its your business and your products, don't you even care to know? Haha, these eggheads, heads in the clouds. He said he was shocked and couldn't understand he didn't want to know enough to prevent the problem happening again in future. Haha! Can't be an idealist in the reality of the workplace! Silly sod and his professional integrity.

The guy was hurr-huh-hurr laughing to himself telling us this story of how he fired the guy for caring and knowing things. Its about 20 minutes that I've never forgotten. I think him having the opportunity to tell the story to a bunch of teenagers was some kind of personal victory against the world, money against brains and youth, 'you have to forget school and think about the real world' and all the mottos he was burping out to us. I've often wondered if the story was bullshit: if in actual fact he sensibly canned the chemist because he'd wasted company money on a pointless study, then spun that into a political parable for us youngsters. You could see it in his eyes and his hollow fucking laughing. He addressed the science students in the room and told them specifically that their urge to understand how things work will make them less employable because business is about profit and problem solving, not understanding or an urge to improve things. That story isn't just a glimpse into the kind of person that western governments habitually appeal to, but their inner feelings and personal convictions, what their personal moral universes are like and how driven by resentment the capitalist class is. Petty, putrid, xenophobic and threatened by everything that isn't success. His skin was proper grey around the gammonpink and he stunk of coffin nails so he's probably dead now and his stupid Aesop is now my stupid Aesop.

Buelligan

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 10, 2021, 12:25:38 PM
looks like Labour are emailing people in arrears to tell them NIP is a scam:
https://twitter.com/FreeNorthNow/status/1380828771167657988

Quote from: someone on twitterReplying to @FreeNorthNow @UKLabour and @Keir_Starmer
The only scam here is Keith's 10 pledges

https://twitter.com/Bobby2bees/status/1380829170310258692

olliebean

Bit of a nerve suggesting the NIP is "either a joke or a scam" from a party that in its current form is both.

BlodwynPig

Are 15 year old brats running things in Labour now. Pathetic. Viva NIP.

idunnosomename

nooooooooo you cant just not vote for the left wing party we grifting establishment centrists hijacked with a sensible man with a suit! thats not allowed! youll let the tories in!!!

peace and justice project go brrrr

Buelligan

Counting the days till the count cuts these cunts if I'm honest.

Cuellar

So are they just saying, apropos of nothing really, "by the way if you're thinking of joining NIP, don't" - or did this person email Labour saying 'I'm going to join NIP'

Jockice

I was awake in the middle of the night and read somewhere that the reason that Labour are sending all their MPs to Hartlepool is that they are counted as essential workers and are therefore allowed to stay in hotels overnight, while all the thousands of other campaigners who would be there otherwise can only stay during the day, so it's not really worth them visiting.

Yeah right. Sure. Whatever you say.

Jockice

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteNick Delves, aka The Incredible Flying Brick,

Gets my vote

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hello fellow Hartlepudlians, aren't the climatic conditions average for this time in the solar cycle

idunnosomename

The times is pushing the haircut HARD

https://twitter.com/thesundaytimes/status/1381141428022210562?s=19

Cant be bothered reading the article just looked at the pictures. Which i think is the point mostly

Ferris

Quote from: greencalx on April 11, 2021, 07:48:22 AM
ici

This is everything that is wrong with politics.

The reason people aren't voting for labour isn't because they haven't seen enough of Jacqui Smith in person, and only someone with an Olympic sized ego would think their appearance would make the difference.

BlodwynPig

ugh, 'bookies favourites to win'.

Ban gambling. At least drive it underground so I don't have to see trash like this in the media.

Also, Jacqui is a celeb now, speaks volumes as to how Labour top brass think.

Buelligan

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 11, 2021, 01:04:31 PM
This is everything that is wrong with politics.

The reason people aren't voting for labour isn't because they haven't seen enough of Jacqui Smith in person, and only someone with an Olympic sized ego would think their appearance would make the difference.

Labour have done this forever[nb]This part of the party, the blairite salespeople[/nb], they behave like cheesy celebrities advertising some shit or other, there, where?  They don't really know where, but they're there for a day or two, on expenses, to get what they want and then fuck off and leave all those promises on the doorstep to dry or be washed away, like dog shit.  Trust is gone.

idunnosomename

that sunday times puff piece has some rib-tickling stuff about kier's in-person "star quality" if you're up for it

https://archive.md/kWfab

also lol

QuoteThat sounds like an argument, I suggest, for filling his cabinet with big beasts the public already know and respect — the Yvette Coopers and Hilary Benns and Emily Thornberrys.

I think she's confusing Emily Thornberrys with the far more popular Emily Rugrats.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If they want to cheer up the people of Hartlepool they would probably achieve more by lining up the Blairite grandees on the pier and executing them one by one.

idunnosomename

also awful posturing on the "person murdered by a copper" issue. cynical at best, madly authoritarian at worst.

QuoteStarmer's response to the Sarah Everard murder is instructive. Controversy over the Met's policing of a vigil on Clapham Common quickly led to calls for Cressida Dick, the Met commissioner, to resign, he points out with a despairing expression. "Instead of us talking about what women in Clapham wanted us to talk about, we started a discussion about Cressida Dick, which wasn't the issue. The Sarah Everard case is a Stephen Lawrence or Jamie Bulger moment. This could be a chance to actually do something."

Labour, he reveals, intends to introduce a violence against women and girls bill before the Queen's Speech in May. "It is astonishing that in 2021 we do not have a comprehensive piece of legislation. The more I turn it over in my mind the more obvious it is."

If passed, the law would make it an offence to harass women on the street, increase sentences for rapists and stalkers, end the injustice of lower sentences for domestic rather than non-domestic murders, and introduce "whole life" sentences for anyone found guilty of the abduction, sexual assault and murder of a stranger. Starmer wants the success of local innovations such as sexual assault referral clinics, where women can report crimes to healthcare professionals in a medical setting rather than a police station, to become national practice in law. "I don't care whether I'm a supporter of it, or the Labour Party, or it's cross-party, or even the government takes it on. Because we can't go on like this."

looks like he's stood in front of someone with a roller painting the wall red. or just an insane murderer.

Buelligan

Surely, it should be a fucking offence to harass anyone in the street?  WE DON'T WANT TO BE WOMENNGIRLS, WE WANT TO BE REGULAR PEOPLE. What is wrong with this fucking cunt?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 11, 2021, 02:01:26 PM
also awful posturing on the "person murdered by a copper" issue. cynical at best, madly authoritarian at worst.

looks like he's stood in front of someone with a roller painting the wall red. or just an insane murderer.

Or trapped in a cupboard behind one of those thin-slit office doors.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on April 11, 2021, 02:09:38 PM
Surely, it should be a fucking offence to harass anyone in the street?  WE DON'T WANT TO BE WOMENNGIRLS, WE WANT TO BE REGULAR PEOPLE. What is wrong with this fucking cunt?

Beige Knighting

idunnosomename

looool they dont stop comin and they dont stop comin

https://archive.md/KyApC

(not paywalled but fuck the mail)

pigamus

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 11, 2021, 02:01:26 PM

A minor thing, but he was never called "Jamie Bulger". His name was James. You'd think Rumpole of the Boring of all people would know that.

idunnosomename

he's said that because like Maddie McCann, it was what the tabloids christened him and thus how a lot of people know him.

Optics, Jeremy!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pigamus on April 11, 2021, 02:29:53 PM
A minor thing, but he was never called "Jamie Bulger". His name was James. You'd think Rumpole of the Boring of all people would know that.

The sound of a man winging it.

Video Game Fan 2000

There is little in contemporary politics that frightens me more than the feedback loop between liberal career politicians in major political parties and vaguely anti-left social justice gobholes on social media when it comes to expanding private or state power in response to a perceived threat. Two groups of not otherwise strongly aligned people who are forming a reactionary feedback loop out of a desire to transfer their 'string 'em up!' mentality from Muslims and working class criminals to now socially acceptable targets like sexual violence suspects and suspected white supremacists. Fifteen years ago these two groups wouldn't have got on much at all - the former wanted to deport Muslims and the latter wanted to garrote the writers of dirty books and the wrong kind of 'queer'. But now they have shared targets that everyone agrees is bad, that no one will risk raising their voice about  for fear of being seen to defend rapists and fascists. So there is a nice little reactionary reserve of support ideas like no-fault dismissals at work for making fellow employees 'uncomfortable', ways to anonymously shop someone to the cops for raising 'suspicion', and proper 1980s police nastiness. Bring back SUS, but with the internet this time. Watching the American 'left' gyrate from ACAB to wahey! let's go bash in 'terrorists' skulls! drone them! make them homeless! in less than six months was John Carpenter-esque and a depressing clue to where Europe could head if major parties don't get painted red in the next decade.

The populist right's expansion of state power and force is the immediate threat. But that is something that most people across the political spectrum, including the members of otherwise dogshit right wing parties are fearful about and we can always be sure will get direct opposition however ineffectual. But the slow liberal creep of a public-private, internet-enabled version of the same thing against the acceptable targets of "alt right" or "rapists" or "androgynous person using public toilet" or "man who reblogged a man who reblogged a man who once called Jeremy Corbyn a proper lad" is something to be fearful about. Its just so effective. You don't think private companies should be enabled by governments to permaban people who rely on their services to find work? Trump supporter. You don't think your boss should be able to sack you on the spot without recourse after a single complaint? Rape apologist. Why are you complaining? What do you have to hide?

Thatcher's dream come true.