Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:13:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party - Any other leader would be 20 points ahead

Started by king_tubby, February 24, 2021, 02:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Thrashbarg

I know it's incredibly childish, but I do like that 'Tragic Stepdad' seems to be gaining momentum. Fits him perfectly. And it's actually a pejorative, unlike Magic Grandpa, which couldn't be less insulting.

jobotic

Call me Sir Kier, not Kieth. Don't disrespect your mother like that.

And elbows off the table.

Sebastian Cobb

If some rolls of wallpaper can swing the vote that much more than hundreds of thousands of dead people I may have to drown myself in a bucket. fucksake.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Doesn't say what it deems Red Wall seats so could be highly suspect.

king_tubby

QuoteThe following councils were deemed "Red Wall" by YouGov:

Bolton, Bradford, Burnley, Bury, Derby, Doncaster, Dudley, Durham, Hyndburn, Kirklees, Lincoln, North East Lincolnshire, Northumberland, Rochdale, Sandwell, Sheffield, Wakefield, Warrington, Wigan and Wolverhampton

https://twitter.com/OprosUK/status/1388417521791930369

Sheffield? Bradford?

idunnosomename

QuoteThe term was coined in August 2019 by pollster James Kanagasooriam. When viewed on a map of previous results, the block of seats held by the party resembled the shape of a wall, coloured red, which has traditionally been used to represent Labour.

It really is Westminster bubble pundit bullshit to reduce the north to a soundbite because it's not a real place to them

Edit fucking lincoln for a start had a tory mp in 2010-7. The same one they got back in 2019. so it's someone with real local experience, not a parachuted in brexit candidate. hardly the same

Sebastian Cobb

That might be Yougov's version but they're working backwards from an abstract concept.

Pink Gregory

Council elections though, whether those people turn out is another matter.

Also what caused such a swing from UKIP?

king_tubby

idunnosomename

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 01, 2021, 10:05:11 PM
Northumberland?
like. Berwick-upon-Tweed has never had a Labour MP. it was Liberal and then Lib Dem, before Anne-Marie Trevelyan got in 2015

Sebastian Cobb

pigamus

QuoteThe term was coined in August 2019 by pollster James Kanagasooriam. When viewed on a map of previous results, the block of seats held by the party resembled the shape of a wall, coloured red, which has traditionally been used to represent Labour.

Why do they keep bamboozling us with all this technical stuff

holyzombiejesus

I'm pissed but I'm not sure if nurses should get a 12% pay rise.

pancreas

Ferris

Ferris

No hang on let me try that one again.

Ahem; "terrible!"

Kelvin

Once the pandemic is over they won't be getting one for a decade, so fair's fair.

Ferris

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 02, 2021, 08:33:23 PM
Nandy here, farcically implying perhaps nurses just don't want a good payrise:
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1388781437260861440

Clearly marking herself out as the enemy, there.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 02, 2021, 11:37:44 PM
I'm pissed but I'm not sure if nurses should get a 12% pay rise.

I'm pissed but I'm sure they should get a 12% pay rise. And I'll think it when I'm sober again too, whereas you will still be ugly.

Buelligan

If you were trapped on a dying island, who would you want with you, a nurse, a lawyer or a hedge fund manager?

holyzombiejesus

I think that there are other jobs that need a 12% rise more than nurses but they'll never get any campaign behind them as they're not as loved by the public or as palatable for Labour as nurses. Having said that, it's not a case of either or and most of the workers I had in mind (cleaners, care workers etc) are employed by private companies so I was partly talking out of my drunk arse.

pancreas

The nurses, as ever, present a good test case, because there's huge public support. If you can sort them out, then you can go for something else. If you can't, well then you're probably fucked.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 03, 2021, 10:53:41 AM
I think that there are other jobs that need a 12% rise more than nurses but they'll never get any campaign behind them as they're not as loved by the public or as palatable for Labour as nurses. Having said that, it's not a case of either or and most of the workers I had in mind (cleaners, care workers etc) are employed by private companies so I was partly talking out of my drunk arse.

Forgiven. I think the median working wage should be doubled.
Quote from: Buelligan on May 03, 2021, 06:13:37 AM
If you were trapped on a dying island, who would you want with you, a nurse, a lawyer or a hedge fund manager?

A bog cleaner and a parking attendant.

Zetetic

In a very weak defence of Nandy, I'd suggest that a fair number of nurses would rather see more nurses in their services than a 12% pay rise - but the latter is much more of a serious possibility than the former anyway.

(In the interest of openness - it's pretty much impossible to give nurses a pay rise without also giving me a pay rise.)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Zetetic on May 03, 2021, 11:38:43 AM
(In the interest of openness - it's pretty much impossible to give nurses a pay rise without also giving me a pay rise.)

I think that's pretty much true of public-facing public-sector work. You can probably say the same thing about teachers and administrative non-teaching staff to some extent.