Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:33:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party - Any other leader would be 20 points ahead

Started by king_tubby, February 24, 2021, 02:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Jockice on May 08, 2021, 11:00:06 AM
My friends Martin and Eileen? Hall and Oates? My cat?

I've heard Martin and Eileen are NF now.

peanutbutter

I honestly expect Starmer's team to be so rattled that they just dont do anything at all for a month or two, then forget that they were supposed to change _something_.

EOLAN

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 08, 2021, 12:36:18 PM
After a confused few hours, the Ferris clan have settled on the concept that starmer is the best man available and it is the electorate that is irredeemably thick and unable to realize it and anyway it is better than corbyn.

You did say they didn't vote Labour didn't you?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

After a confused few hours, the Ferris clan have settled on the concept that starmer is the best man available and it is the electorate that is irredeemably thick and unable to realize it and anyway it is better than corbyn.

It has been terrific fun pointing out that the very same people who argued that No, we must make compromises and be pragmatic and stop being dreamers and ideologues like the Left, are the sulkiest, fantasy-chasing deluded morons when it comes to facing up to the reality that yes, a majority of Britain really did vote for Brexit (and just as advertised the result was in fact going to be realised, not reversed on a whim, meaning that you maybe should have expressed your fondness for the EU before rather than after) and secondly that just because you personally seem to like Sensible Kieth doesn't mean others can work out why the fuck they should.

Petey Pate

The Polly Toynbee piece quoted in that Jacobin article demonstrates that that literally is the mentality of these people.

QuoteWhen politicians lose elections, they must blame themselves — but never the voter. Failure sends them into mea culpas of "listening" to seek out the fault within their party. But the rest of us are under no such constraint to pretend the voter can't be wrong or irresponsible, gullible or pork-barrel bribed, without checking basic facts available at the click of a mouse ... voters have no excuse, with Keir Starmer and his frontbench a thoroughly electable, decent and honest alternative compared with the rogues' gallery opposite.

idunnosomename

Kieth Starman sullied his beautifully clean digestive system with greasy fish and chips to win the affections of these odious northerners. they simply do not deserve his love.

Ferris

Quote from: EOLAN on May 08, 2021, 12:47:11 PM
You did say they didn't vote Labour didn't you?

One did after a "crisis of confidence". The rest went libdem. They are deeply incomprehensible, politically speaking.

Edit: to add - the reason I find it so fascinating is that they all consider themselves "natural" labour voters (despite my dad voting tory since the mid 70s) and they seem to follow the travails of the Labour Party in great derail among themselves, only to not vote for it. They like the party a lot more now (that's why my dad voted for them at the last minute because it was the right thing to do in order to reward Keith's recent manoeuvres) but it is baffling to me. I love them all deeply, but they are sadly politically bereft.

pigamus

He's marked as a loser now. That won't wash off.

EOLAN

Haha love that Toynbee quote. So her argument is don't the electorate not know that Starmer is electable. These election results don't reflect anything about his electability. He's nice and professional so he is the man to win elections all round, apart from these election results: that is just people being stupid.

I mean if I was playing Devil's Advocate, I am sure I could come up with so many better and partially logical solutions than a lot of the Blairite crowd are trying for Starmer.

peanutbutter

Quote from: pigamus on May 08, 2021, 12:54:03 PM
Yep, the same kind of desperation I've been seeing in his eyes the last 6 months or so (basically since his one policy of "schools must stay open" started to crumble) is surely even what a lot of his supporters are seeing.

idunnosomename

Queef Stamen is a fighter. He will fight for every vote. He will reconnect with hardworking families, for true equality and justice. He will travel across the land, searching far and wide, these Pokémon, to understand, the power that's inside.

Ferris

There's a star-mer, waiting in the sky
He's like us all to vote for him but sadly we're too thick

Fambo Number Mive

Starmer will double down on his gammon courting by dressing as Churchill and instructing ministers to only travel by Spitfire.

pigamus

People have been comparing him to Theresa May, which is astonishing. It's not that far wrong though, is it?

EOLAN

Quote from: pigamus on May 08, 2021, 01:07:07 PM
People have been comparing him to Theresa May, which is astonishing. It's not that far wrong though, is it?

More Iain Duncan Smith for me.

idunnosomename

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 08, 2021, 01:02:51 PM
He's like us all to vote for him but sadly we're too thick
something like this would make a good next thread title

Sebastian Cobb

That he genuinely seems to have thought that one of the most difficult and thankless jobs in British politics could be immediately sorted by a three-pronged attack of haircut, flags & 'photo of me supping a pint' shows he's not exactly the canny political operator of Guardian myth.

Kankurette

Tabloids putting the Tories' victory purely down to Brexit.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: pigamus on May 08, 2021, 01:07:07 PM

She got to be prime minister for a bit, admittedly it was inherited through a resignation, ironically Kieth's preventing those conditions from happening.

ZoyzaSorris

Theresa May (despite the centrist mythos) did very well in an election (it's just that Corbyn also did very well that did for her), which is a lot more than you can say for Kieth.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 08, 2021, 01:02:51 PM
He'd like us all to vote for him but sadly we're too thick we're tories and we're shy

Sebastian Cobb

Stolen from twitter

Edit: just noticed one of the people involved in this has 'you dirty old bollocks' as a subtitle, feels a bit close to home!

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on May 08, 2021, 11:37:18 AM
In the meantime we'll have to weather the new populist tories turning England into a Hungary-style one party state, and hopefully they won't be able to go so far there'll be no coming back.

Oh, will we? Thanks, mate.

greencalx

Some time ago it seems that CLP members' email addresses all somehow ended up on a mailing list that the party claims is nothing to do with them. I thought it had all been sorted out, but there's been more traffic today with lots of disgruntled people making comments like "When you spend years attacking your own members, ignoring the democratic decision on Brexit, selling your soul to corporate capitalism and undermining the leader who secured the party's biggest increase in vote share since 1945, you end up in last night's electoral meltdown"

Kankurette

Being serious for a minute, my attitude to places like Hartlepool is not 'fuck you, you voted for Brexit, you deserve everything you get', it's 'OK, so Brexit happened, where do we go from here and what would Labour have to do to win you back? What areas where you live need sorting?'

Kelvin

Quote from: pigamus on May 08, 2021, 12:54:03 PM

I think there's a lot of truth in this. He could have recovered (to an extent) from a mediocre result at this time, but to lose so badly, so humiliatingly, people will have him down as another Labour failure now. And after the similarly awful result in 2019, the entire Labour Party is similarly branded now, too. Both the left and and right of the party have been publicly eviscerated in the last two years, and more and more the party seems like a complete farce compared to the relative success story of the Tory Party.   

greencalx

Another lesson not learnt from Scotland, where candidates on both the left and the right (mostly the right) have failed big time since 2007.

Buelligan

Quote from: Kelvin on May 08, 2021, 03:39:01 PM
I think there's a lot of truth in this. He could have recovered (to an extent) from a mediocre result at this time, but to lose so badly, so humiliatingly, people will have him down as another Labour failure now. And after the similarly awful result in 2019, the entire Labour Party is similarly branded now, too. Both the left and and right of the party have been publicly eviscerated in the last two years, and more and more the party seems like a complete farce compared to the relative success story of the Tory Party.   

Yep.  It's like we went to a club and picked up two weird gammon posh boys but Tory got the funny one, ours just sits there like a fucking plum cunt going yah, yah.