Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:45:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Labour Party - Any other leader would be 20 points ahead

Started by king_tubby, February 24, 2021, 02:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petey Pate

Quote from: Buelligan on February 25, 2021, 05:37:36 PM
You know, he's actually made me hope the Greens take over the whole council just on the basis that anyone prepared to accept him as a candidate or sit with him on a committee has deeply questionable judgement IMO.  Poor as I am, considering bunging them a few (very few) quid.  I don't hate him, don't hate anyone in the real sense but Akehurst tempts me, he's the embodiment of everything that's destroying the Labour Party and to me, that's close to as bad as it gets.

I've signed up to volunteer for the Oxfordshire Green Party as much as I can, despite not being a member.  I have my misgivings with the Green Party as a whole, but the local branch does good work and I really do want to see Akehurst lose.  From the local left-wing Whatsapp groups I'm in, a lot of current and former Labour members feel the same way.  Plus, there's a very slim chance that a strong Green performance will give the right wing shitlords of Labour some pause for thought.

EOLAN

Johnny Yesno

Bombing the present into the middle of next week to ensure the future is utterly unlike the past.

chveik

idunnosomename

1. lick tony blairs anus
2. who cares
3. genuine personal profit

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 26, 2021, 12:38:14 AM
That's a fair ratchet up from 'flags'.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/25/labour-to-state-non-negotiable-support-for-uks-nuclear-weapons

QuoteWhile Labour's 2017 and 2019 manifestos both pledged to support the renewal of the UK's Trident nuclear submarine system, and to back multilateral rather than unilateral nuclear disarmament efforts, these were very obviously compromises accepted by Corbyn.

So to sum up, it isn't a change of policy, it's a non-event.

'Labour to reaffirm freedom to buy and consume meat products. While Labour's 2017 and 2019 manifestos both pledged this, these were very obviously compromises accepted by vegetarian freak Corbyn.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on February 26, 2021, 06:20:25 AM
Really bleak. Hate these people so much.

'We'll say anything if you will like us'

'Wait....how come you still don't like us'

Labour are becoming that simpering toady that grovels behind the real school bully hoping for scraps.

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 25, 2021, 10:50:03 PM
I've signed up to volunteer for the Oxfordshire Green Party as much as I can, despite not being a member.  I have my misgivings with the Green Party as a whole, but the local branch does good work and I really do want to see Akehurst lose.  From the local left-wing Whatsapp groups I'm in, a lot of current and former Labour members feel the same way.  Plus, there's a very slim chance that a strong Green performance will give the right wing shitlords of Labour some pause for thought.

Yeah I actually really despise the Greens after the shenanigans of the last few years (and I was a member at one point), and their small but not inignificant part in ensuring that the changes we desperately need in this country were blocked at every turn, but the shower of sh*ts on the ascendant in Labour are so beyond the pale that I think I'm going to have to vote for the Greens wherever it might have a chance of giving Labour a bloody nose now. I'd only consider voting Labour now if the candidate was one of the few guaranteed good'uns - otherwise at this rate I'm with Pacreas - I think I'm more likely to vote Tory to be honest - they are at least more honest about being complete harris-holes.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 26, 2021, 07:35:07 AM
So to sum up, it isn't a change of policy, it's a non-event.

'Labour to reaffirm freedom to buy and consume meat products. While Labour's 2017 and 2019 manifestos both pledged this, these were very obviously compromises accepted by vegetarian freak Corbyn.

Come on, you are being rather lenient. Why announce this, why now? Why not 'start a conversation' that is progressive? You know why and you should remain cynical and arch, rather than roll over like a good puppo for a tummy scratch from your nefarious doppelgänger.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 26, 2021, 07:37:04 AM
'We'll say anything if you will like us'

'Wait....how come you still don't like us'

Labour are becoming that simpering toady that grovels behind the real school bully hoping for scraps.

Better. Remove 'becoming' and you can have the treat.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on February 26, 2021, 07:43:47 AM
Yeah I actually really despise the Greens after the shenanigans of the last few years (and I was a member at one point), and their small but not inignificant part in ensuring that the changes we desperately need in this country were blocked at every turn, but the shower of sh*ts on the ascendant in Labour are so beyond the pale that I think I'm going to have to vote for the Greens wherever it might have a chance of giving Labour a bloody nose now. I'd only consider voting Labour now if the candidate was one of the few guaranteed good'uns - otherwise at this rate I'm with Pacreas - I think I'm more likely to vote Tory to be honest - they are at least more honest about being complete harris-holes.

I will be voting Tory. Obliterate the Labour Party. A one party state cannot sustain without effective opposition. What will fill the void? That is my only concern.

pigamus

What about the Natural Law Party, is that still going?

Bit of yogic flying to beat the the Tories, worth considering

phantom_power

Quote from: imitationleather on February 25, 2021, 05:51:44 PM

lol

Fucking hell. How can UKIP make a gain from Labour when their whole raison d'etre has been made obsolete by Brexit

thugler

Guardian now have zero stories on their politics page about this corporation tax debacle.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: thugler on February 26, 2021, 09:56:00 AM
Guardian now have zero stories on their politics page about this corporation tax debacle.

There's this...

Tony Blair says 'cut Starmer some slack' over tax comments

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/25/tony-blair-says-cut-starmer-some-slack-over-tax-comments

Tony Blair has urged Keir Starmer's critics to "cut him some slack" and backed his stance on business taxes, after a backlash over comments from Starmer that appeared to suggest Labour was against taxing corporations to pay for the pandemic.

In an interview with the Guardian, Blair, the last Labour leader to win a general election, praised Starmer and warned his party critics not to underestimate the challenges of being the opposition leader during the pandemic.

"I think where people have got to cut him some slack and be fair to the guy is, it's the government that matters at the moment," he said. "The public have no interest at all in mouthing off as if you're in normal political times, because they know you're not.

"I think he's done a very good job. I think he has actually been pretty judicious in being critical where he needs to be, constructive most of the time," Blair said.

Asked about Starmer's comments on tax, which were criticised by leftwing MPs and the grassroots campaign group Momentum, he said: "I think he's perfectly sensible to say that. I always used to say to people when I was leading the Labour party, the Labour party's problem is not that people don't think you'll put their taxes up."

BlodwynPig

the last Labour leader to win a general election

one for the kids, there.

BlodwynPig

"I think he's perfectly sensible to say that. I always used to say to people when I was leading the Labour party, the Labour party's problem is not that people don't think you'll put their taxes up." ... .... und?

phantom_power

Raising corporation tax is a pretty popular policy, even among the soft right that Starmer is showing his stocking tops to. Allowing the Tories to be more left wing than them is fucking ridiculous. The only reason this would work is if he was proposing a tax on high earners instead, which he isn't

Zetetic

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 26, 2021, 10:02:18 AM
There's this...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/25/tony-blair-says-cut-starmer-some-slack-over-tax-comments

Tony Blair has urged Keir Starmer's critics to "cut him some slack" and backed his stance on business taxes, after a backlash over comments from Starmer that appeared to suggest Labour was against taxing corporations to pay for the pandemic.

In an interview with the Guardian, Blair, the last Labour leader to win a general election, praised Starmer and warned his party critics not to underestimate the challenges of being the opposition leader during the pandemic.

"I think where people have got to cut him some slack and be fair to the guy is, it's the government that matters at the moment," he said. "The public have no interest at all in mouthing off as if you're in normal political times, because they know you're not.

"I think he's done a very good job. I think he has actually been pretty judicious in being critical where he needs to be, constructive most of the time," Blair said.

Asked about Starmer's comments on tax, which were criticised by leftwing MPs and the grassroots campaign group Momentum, he said: "I think he's perfectly sensible to say that. I always used to say to people when I was leading the Labour party, the Labour party's problem is not that people don't think you'll put their taxes up."

Calling criticism of the government "mouthing off" is pretty revolting. Blair makes it sound like being in Opposition is all a parlour game just to get elected. Which it probably is to people like him. Also,  most criticism towards the government is constructive - it's telling the government what they are doing wrong and what they should do better.

It's a complete sea-change from Blair's attitude to Corbyn. If Starmer is being defended by Blair, he's clearly no threat at all to the establishment.

Buelligan

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 26, 2021, 12:38:14 AM
That's a fair ratchet up from 'flags'.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/25/labour-to-state-non-negotiable-support-for-uks-nuclear-weapons

I think this is the bit, after he's punched your head in and broken your favourite vase right in front of you, when he packs his bags and tells you you can't manage without him.

We should change those stupid locks this time.

Vote Green in May for the planet and for people that don't want to spend your hard earned on threatening to obliterate humanity and poisoning the earth. 

Given their previous, they will do it.  Get out the vote!

Buelligan

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 25, 2021, 10:50:03 PM

I applaud you and would be joining you if I could.

NoSleep

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 26, 2021, 10:02:18 AM
There's this...

I suspect Starmer is contributing zero leadership and is entirely channeling Blair & Mandelson at this stage, and probably from the beginning.