Author Topic: Shitcoms - The Worst Sitcoms In History  (Read 16248 times)

non capisco

• Automatic writing by phantom limb
Re: Shitcoms - The Worst Sitcoms In History
« Reply #240 on: March 25, 2021, 09:34:03 PM »
I’ve never heard of that mondegreen - but somehow it works better than ‘half-shell’.  Probably because 1) turtles don’t have half-shells, and 2) they’re ninjas, so they’re hard.  As well as having a shell.  Don’t think that double-meaning would work in the US, but it works for me, so fuck it.

And they're green. Whoop!

purlieu

• Gertrude Stein said that's enough.
« Reply #241 on: March 25, 2021, 09:44:49 PM »
My mate at school insisted it was house shell. I said hard shell. Both idiots.

« Reply #242 on: March 28, 2021, 11:32:38 AM »
Thanks for the link. It still doesn't explain why he hates nunchuks so much though. If anything they should have removed Donatello's staff because any kid worth their salt can get hold of a chunk of wood or gnarled branch. The BBFC were barking up the wrong tree when it came to makeshift ninja hero weapons.

There's an article here about the ninja panic. There doesn't seem a good explanation of why they banned nunchuks and even link sausages used as a weapon. But anything ninja was considered bad. Throwing stars are more obviously evil, but you could do yourself an injury with nunchuks before you even got near other kids. I guess banning wooden sticks would be harder as Robin Hood used them for ages without any children dying.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/07/today-i-discovered-the-uk-governments-irrational-fear-of-ninjas/amp/

« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2021, 11:27:20 AM »
Has there been a thread on Sally4ever? I've been on a Lockdown Julia Davis bingewatch, and bingewatching the work of any artist really isnae advisable , as it really highlights the formulaic way these things are written ( for example, there are an astonishing amount of gags about Lee the Northener never taking baths, and being adverse to washing in general,  throughout the run of " Not Going Out") ; Julia Davis is incapable of playing any other character different from the one than the one that she plays , and is equally as incapable of writing characters as anything other than unrealistic  grotesques [ although I accept that the lack of realism is a deliberate artistic decision on her part ]. As she gets older, this tendency worsens, and the characterisation  and gross- out offensive scenes become more heightened. I laughed with incredulity rather than genuine amusement at the denoument of episode 4 of Sally4eva' s closing scene.
Oh, and Vicki Pepperdine can only play one sort of comedy character, too.

Although I quite enjoyed Sally4Ever, I think Camping is the best thing Julia Davis has done in more recent years. Yes, it's another similar character for her, but the last two episodes are so grotesque and bizarre that it almost verges on weird British horror. Props to David Bamber for that performance.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 02:17:07 PM by paddy72 »

purlieu

• Gertrude Stein said that's enough.
« Reply #244 on: March 29, 2021, 01:11:54 PM »
Camping is one of the most difficult things to watch I've ever seen. Starts with some fairly well observed awkward character comedy and gradually turns into absolute monstrous chaos. A brilliantly unpleasant show, and I think probably a real distillation of everything Julia Davis does.

Tags: