Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:39:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

All-new Fraisier

Started by Blue Jam, February 25, 2021, 07:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Kelsey Grammar to return in the title role, no-one else confirmed yet:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56191980

I haven't watched the original run for years, largely because it isn't streaming anywhere, but I remember enjoying it. Hopefully this renewed interest in the show will end up with a deal for it if to be streamed somewhere... so tell me, is New Fraisier a good idea?

The Mollusk

Would be great if absolutely no other cast confirmed and the show was just Grammer stuck in the studio during full-scale lockdown/riot 2020 America slowly going mental and ranting batshit republican conspiracies on the air even though all the broadcasting equipment's knackered so he's talking to no one

sevendaughters

content is free money so of course they're right to do it, no one shits on their legacy anymore. no David Angell and no John Mahoney means this will probably be unwatchable filth.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It would be better if they reinvented it again. Partridge-ised it, as they did from Cheers to Frasier. Put him in a different situation, change the angle

Blue Jam

Could Kelsey Grammar do something as self-deprecating as a Partridge-type show? Or go even further and do a Curb, Lead Balloon, Grandma's House type of thing? I can't see it personally. I can't see any outspoken Republican going for that.

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 25, 2021, 07:29:50 AM
Would be great if absolutely no other cast confirmed and the show was just Grammer stuck in the studio during full-scale lockdown/riot 2020 America slowly going mental and ranting batshit republican conspiracies on the air even though all the broadcasting equipment's knackered so he's talking to no one

Or Fraisier as a John Gaunt type, screaming into the void from his expensive but tasteful garden shed.

Blue Jam

Quote from: sevendaughters on February 25, 2021, 07:31:39 AM
no David Angell and no John Mahoney means this will probably be unwatchable filth.

No Eddie either :(

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 25, 2021, 07:50:39 AM
No Eddie either :(

They'll have a new dog, called Oddie. Eddie was the dog? or was he the father ? Either way, they'll bring Bill Oddie in.

Blue Jam

Apparently Eddie's real name was Moose and he made it to 16. A good innings for a dog but sadly not long enough for him to stare out his master in the new episodes.

That wee Jack Russell was an absolute master of the stare-out. The casting peeps will struggle to replace him.

BlodwynPig

Birdwatching prepares you for a lot of staring. Get Bill in!

Mr Trumpet

Stale salad and mouldy eggs

buttgammon

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 25, 2021, 07:29:50 AM

Although the revival will be awful, I actually like this idea - Frasier going mad Network-style. The fact that Grammer wouldn't have to act is a bit grim though.

Blue Jam

There should be a new dog who likes a good old stare, and it should be called Peter. Yer a good lad Peter.

Is staring a Jack Russell thing? Or a general terrier thing? My last dog was part Jack Russell and she was also a stare-out champion. Got a neighbour whose Cairn Terrier also loves a good old stare.

Icehaven

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 25, 2021, 08:29:22 AM
Apparently Eddie's real name was Moose and he made it to 16. A good innings for a dog but sadly not long enough for him to stare out his master in the new episodes.

That wee Jack Russell was an absolute master of the stare-out. The casting peeps will struggle to replace him.

There were actually two Eddies, played by a father and then his son. The first one "retired" after a few series and the son took over. Daresay they're probably both dead now though.

I'm ambivalent about the revival generally, seems a bit late and unnecessary, and it's a bit odd to make the announcement that it's returning without any apparent confirmation any other main cast members are on board. How old would Frederick and Daphne and Niles' kids be now? Maybe they'll be major characters and this is a feeler for a main series with them. Or maybe it'll revolve around the Greek aunty and her family, that'd be popular.

dr_christian_troy

Frasier now lives in Chicago in a penthouse apartment. Prior to 2020 he was running his own psychiatry practice but has since been assisting with sessions over the phone and hosting his own podcast. His son Freddie is now married, with his wife an older woman closer to Frasier's age, much to his discomfort. They have a teenage daughter who shows signs of her grandfather's promise.

Frasier has become quite used to being solitary, but his life is turned upside down when Freddie and his wife separate, and Freddie and his daughter ask to stay at his apartment. Frasier reluctantly accepts and shudders at the thought that he might be turning into his own father.

Niles and Daphne were living in London during 2020 so Daphne could be closer to her family, but have since moved back to the US. Their house in Seattle in the interim was used as an Air BnB, which on their return is suspiciously tidy to the point that Niles' germophobic paranoia heightens and he insists they move elsewhere. Frasier and Niles haven't seen each for a number of years for reasons initially unknown.

Niles and Frasier both receive separate calls advising that Martin has passed away. Up to this point he had been living quite happily with his girlfriend who is basically a female Martin, in a modest Chicago apartment paid for by Frasier.

Niles and Frasier both attend the funeral, make amends, we meet David (Niles' and Daphne's son), and both Frasier and Niles while bickering notice how Freddie and David get along and realise that they've been distant as a family for too long. Frasier talks Niles into moving to Chicago and Freddie and his daughter move into Martin's old apartment with Martin's girlfriend as the lodger.

sevendaughters

what if they went a CYE Seinfeld series route where everyone is capable of being themselves offstage except Grammer who has convinced himself he is an intellectual heavyweight. Would only take one camera.

Old Thrashbarg

The first 6 series are amongst my favourite ever comedy, and the later series were always watchable if nowhere near as good, but I can't imagine a revival attempting to do anything similar being anything other than awful. Having Frasier in a completely different situation, with occasional appearances from Niles, Daphne, Roz, etc. could work, but would probably feel very contrived, especially with the loss of John Mahoney.

I do think Kelsey Grammer, for all that he's a massive Republican wanker, is willing to play roles that don't fit with his personal beliefs. So there's a chance he'd do something self-deprecating. To an extent I think Frasier was that.

Butchers Blind

As long as they bring back Daphne's english family, I'll be happy.

Blue Jam

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on February 25, 2021, 09:43:26 AM
Frasier now lives in Chicago

We can't have that, we'd have to have a new skyline over the opening credits.

I never did like that theme tune though. Yes, they were trying something different and original, fair play, but it never worked for me. Does tossed salad even go with scrambled eggs? Sounds minging.

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 25, 2021, 10:34:13 AM
We can't have that, we'd have to have a new skyline over the opening credits.

I never did like that theme tune though. Yes, they were trying something different and original, fair play, but it never worked for me.

I think there's been a rumour circulating Chicago as the new location for a while, as the final episode sees him getting on the plane to go there, but perhaps he's been there in the interim and then moves back to Seattle after Martin died.

DrGreggles

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on February 25, 2021, 09:43:26 AM
Niles and Daphne were living in London during 2020 so Daphne could be closer to her family

Who had all relocated to London from Australia, South Africa, Scotland and [never quite sure what the other one was] respectively at that time.

Blue Jam

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on February 25, 2021, 10:42:55 AM
I think there's been a rumour circulating Chicago as the new location for a while, as the final episode sees him getting on the plane to go there, but perhaps he's been there in the interim and then moves back to Seattle after Martin died.

Ah, I haven't watched it in a long time, sorry. Chicago could work though, Fraisier could just find the toilet rats like to have a good stare.

The original series still isn't available to stream anywhere is it? I'd like to revisit it but I don't want to pay £110 for the whole lot on Amazon Prime. Might just dip into season 1. Anyone up for a Cab rewatch?

Icehaven

There's two episodes each weekday morning on channel 4 at about 9.00am (when it isn't bumped for cricket). Don't think it's on All4 though. It's currently up to series 7.

neveragain

Channel 4 censored the phrase 'storming the citadel of her womanhood' the other day.

Blue Jam

Cheers Icehaven!

...and yes, everyone else, I realise I can't spell "Frasier". I'm blaming the autocorrect on my new phone. Perhaps that's what the Seimfeld-style knockoff boxset should be called.

dissolute ocelot

I was sure he'd been in something decent since Frasier ended, but his CV makes grim reading. As well as all the Trumpy shit like An American Carol, he was in arguably the worst X-Men film (Last Stand); Transformers: Age of Extinction; Expendables 3 (possibly tolerable); Grand Isle which according to IMDb is "The only movie with Nicolas Cage in the lead role to have 0% on Rotten Tomatoes"; perfectly-cast as Herod in badly-reviewed Biblical mini-series Killing Jesus; Even Money, an obscure late movie from On Golden Pond director Mark Rydell; and some shitty animated Wizard of Oz movie. He was in an Emmy-nominated adaptation of F Scott Fitzgerald's half-finished hymn to wealth The Last Tycoon, so there's that.

And a variety of unreleased stuff sitting on the shelf including a "romantic drama" with Anna Friel and Sean Astin called Charming The Hearts of Men and a heist movie called Money Plane from Andrew Lawrence (not that one, a former child star with little directorial experience whose first TV role was playing a 2-year-old Joey Lawrence in Blossom).

A couple of brief appearances in decent shows (and late Modern Family), and dwindling rewards in the Simpsons but his movie career was downhill (down ocean) after Down Periscope which is bad but at least silly. Oh Kelsey!

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 25, 2021, 07:23:33 AM
Kelsey Grammar to return in the title role, no-one else confirmed yet:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56191980
Does the BBC have the advanced technology to flip that photo the right way round?

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: sevendaughters on February 25, 2021, 07:31:39 AM
no David Angell and no John Mahoney means this will probably be unwatchable filth.
The last two seasons came after Angell was killed. (That might be your cue to post 'QED'.)

David Lee and the Charles brothers seem to be retired now, but Christopher Lloyd and Joe Keenan are around 60 and could get involved. I guess there are younger writers who worked on the show still around too.

There's no one crazier than the Fray-zie-er!

Icehaven

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 25, 2021, 12:09:29 PM
I was sure he'd been in something decent since Frasier ended, but his CV makes grim reading. As well as all the Trumpy shit like An American Carol, he was in arguably the worst X-Men film (Last Stand); Transformers: Age of Extinction; Expendables 3 (possibly tolerable); Grand Isle which according to IMDb is "The only movie with Nicolas Cage in the lead role to have 0% on Rotten Tomatoes"; perfectly-cast as Herod in badly-reviewed Biblical mini-series Killing Jesus; Even Money, an obscure late movie from On Golden Pond director Mark Rydell; and some shitty animated Wizard of Oz movie. He was in an Emmy-nominated adaptation of F Scott Fitzgerald's half-finished hymn to wealth The Last Tycoon, so there's that.

And a variety of unreleased stuff sitting on the shelf including a "romantic drama" with Anna Friel and Sean Astin called Charming The Hearts of Men and a heist movie called Money Plane from Andrew Lawrence (not that one, a former child star with little directorial experience whose first TV role was playing a 2-year-old Joey Lawrence in Blossom).

A couple of brief appearances in decent shows (and late Modern Family), and dwindling rewards in the Simpsons but his movie career was downhill (down ocean) after Down Periscope which is bad but at least silly. Oh Kelsey!

For some reason I thought his newsroom sitcom Back To You had been a success but I've totally misremembered, it only ran for one series.

The Mollusk

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 25, 2021, 12:09:29 PM
I was sure he'd been in something decent since Frasier ended

Let's not forget the dystopian stage musical "Man of La Mancha" meta-reenacting "Don Quixote" that he did with Nicholas Lindhurst a couple years ago.

That sentence reads like a hilarious joke but it happened. I went to see it (for free). It was fucking abysmal.