Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 03:02:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

All-new Fraisier

Started by Blue Jam, February 25, 2021, 07:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bleeding Kansas

Blue Jam

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 25, 2021, 12:09:29 PM
I was sure he'd been in something decent since Frasier ended, but his CV makes grim reading. As well as all the Trumpy shit like An American Carol, he was in arguably the worst X-Men film (Last Stand); Transformers: Age of Extinction

iirc Michael Bay is also a Republican (or at least he was before Trump) and there's at least one Transformers film the US Navy helped out with, providing some filming locations like the decks of aircraft carriers. A totally lunkheaded, gung-ho, 9/11 LET'S ROLL kind of a film. I wasn't at all surprised to see Kelsey Grammer pop up in one of them.

Icehaven

Hmm this is from the Guardian article about the reboot;

QuoteIn 2018 it was reported that Grammer was pitching a reboot to studios, which would see his character return in a new setting. In an interview published that year, Grammer said the series was "not going to be [set in] Seattle. It's not going to be the same Frasier. It's going to be the man in his next iteration. Hopefully that'll be something people like watching. But I think it'll be funny."

If this is still true then none of the other original cast members might be in it (other than perhaps cameos). Maybe he'll be married to Charlotte. And running a zoo or something.

chveik

Blue Jam

^^^Yes, I'm blaming my autocorrect for that one too, chveik ;)

Ornlu

Very intrigued and looking forward to it. If Cheers to Frasier can work - and lead to the genesis of my favourite TV series of all time - then so too can this. It's all dependent on the writers, and the old cast would be a very welcome addition, but not essential, I don't think. Can't say I'm bothered about his political beliefs, it's not new information. I'd recommend separating the art from the artist, if you feel the need.

Blue Jam

Imagine if the reboot had Frasier as Trump's shrink, and after ten episodes of Trump lying on the couch Frasier's diagnosis was "You're absolutely fine, just keep on being you"?

I absolutely would watch that.

Blue Jam

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 25, 2021, 12:30:14 PM
Let's not forget the dystopian stage musical "Man of La Mancha" meta-reenacting "Don Quixote" that he did with Nicholas Lindhurst a couple years ago.

That sentence reads like a hilarious joke but it happened. I went to see it (for free). It was fucking abysmal.

:O

Kelsey Grammer is exactly the sort of person I would expect to have seen popping up in Curb. I guess the MAGA hat episode might have put him off.

thr0b

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 25, 2021, 02:14:32 PM
:O

Kelsey Grammer is exactly the sort of person I would expect to have seen popping up in Curb. I guess the MAGA hat episode might have put him off.

Equally, I think he would've seen the humour in that. It's not even suggesting the MAGA hat is bad in itself (though obviously, the MAGA hat is awful), but mocking the circles Larry moves in being so set in their ways that they won't even communicate  with him while he wears it.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ornlu on February 25, 2021, 01:54:38 PM
Very intrigued and looking forward to it. If Cheers to Frasier can work - and lead to the genesis of my favourite TV series of all time - then so too can this. It's all dependent on the writers, and the old cast would be a very welcome addition, but not essential, I don't think. Can't say I'm bothered about his political beliefs, it's not new information. I'd recommend separating the art from the artist, if you feel the need.

Yes, loved the show too. I'm similarly not bothered by Frasier Crane's apparent problematic shortcomings either. I mean, FFS! Does this writer know how satire, irony, or comedy actually works? Comedy characters are not meant to be paragons of virtue.

https://screenrant.com/10-jokes-frasier-already-aged-poorly/

Gurke and Hare

Make it an odd-couple style flat share sitcom. Cliff Clavin has moved to Chicago too, and for comedy reasons they end up living together. John Ratzenberger's a republican fruit loop too, so he'd probably agree to it.

dr_christian_troy

I hope they call the new show Siege Of Cranes.

BritishHobo

I've said it in previous threads but I have a lot of faith in this. It seems like Grammer is committed to carrying Frasier's life on in a natural way, rather than just having him and Niles carrying on the same old scrapes like most sitcom revivals do. Frasier back at KACL making halfhearted jokes about Roz being promiscuous. What I always liked about Frasier, the show and the character, was how much time and consideration was given to Frasier's life, and whether or not he was happy. A real genuine care for character. So I'm very much willing to give it a try.

chveik

dr_christian_troy

Quote from: chveik on February 25, 2021, 05:35:07 PM
just put this on a loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu-BqOsvj00

Quote from: UberNeuman on YouTube
But I don't know what to do with those tossed salad and broken legs.

Icehaven

Quote from: chveik on February 25, 2021, 05:35:07 PM
just put this on a loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu-BqOsvj00

Bit too much sherry eh? (Not really, I'm aware Kelsey Grammer did have a serious alcohol problem at one, possibly this, point.)

Brundle-Fly

BlodwynPig

Is this 90s revivalism on its downward trajectory?

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 25, 2021, 05:30:07 PM
I've said it in previous threads but I have a lot of faith in this. It seems like Grammer is committed to carrying Frasier's life on in a natural way, rather than just having him and Niles carrying on the same old scrapes like most sitcom revivals do. Frasier back at KACL making halfhearted jokes about Roz being promiscuous. What I always liked about Frasier, the show and the character, was how much time and consideration was given to Frasier's life, and whether or not he was happy. A real genuine care for character. So I'm very much willing to give it a try.

I have the same feeling. Usually announcements like this never turn out well but I've got so much goodwill towards everyone involved with Frasier that I'm very willing to give them a chance. Even if it doesn't work out, it doesn't change the fact that the earlier series make it one of the best sitcoms of all time.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 25, 2021, 02:22:32 PM
Yes, loved the show too. I'm similarly not bothered by Frasier Crane's apparent problematic shortcomings either. I mean, FFS! Does this writer know how satire, irony, or comedy actually works? Comedy characters are not meant to be paragons of virtue.

https://screenrant.com/10-jokes-frasier-already-aged-poorly/

Absolutely awful. How do they miss the fact Bulldog doing the read for the Chinese restaurant is supposed to be completely offensive.

The part about Frasier often being mistaken for being gay is a misleading point too. He's certainly never terrified of it or embarrassed that anybody would ever think he was. The show presents gay characters on a fairly frequent basis and certainly more frequently than other sitcoms of the time. The only blindspot, and to be fair it is a massive blindspot, is Gil's back story. I love the character and he always enhances the scene but the running joke of him not actually being gay is like something out of a dodgy LWT sitcom from 1974. Gil being married to a female biker/mechanic for example. Similarly when we meet Gil's producer ("We're baaaaack!") and the joke is this extremely camp pair of men are going on a boy's night out to pick up women. It all feels strangely regressive.

A valid criticism that I think stands out nowadays and isn't mentioned in that article is the largely dismissive attitude towards psychiatry. On too many occasions, Martin's home-spun wisdom is said to make more sense then Frasier and Niles' years of dedication to their field. Martin's constant undercutting of their profession always seemed unfair and it was rare that the solution to the episode's problem was solved by Frasier and Niles' intellect.  Likewise, the general poking fun of callers with genuine mental health problems wouldn't go far nowadays unless done more skillfully.

On the flipside, I'm sure the show introduced some people to the world of psychiatry and sparked some interest in the subject. There's some really good episodes that deal with deeper themes (Frasier's existential crisis after winning a lifetime achievement award being a highlight) and it's to the show's credit. At least Frasier and Niles are always proud of psychiatry and it's a central part of their characters which is never compromised.

Brundle-Fly

Good points. What do you make of this crit? Again, I just feel all this projection from the writer.

https://www.cracked.com/article_27855_surprisingly-racist-episodes-beloved-tv-shows.html

I have a feeling it will play safe and be like the recent Will and Grace revival. Everything done with less energy as everyone is old.

Brundle-Fly

I wonder if it gets well-received but Kelsey Grammer will make a racial slur on social media and gets cancelled. Consequently, the show returns in the fall under the new title, Niles.

idunnosomename

"Oh dear lord" off frame is so perfect Sideshow Bob

lazybones

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 25, 2021, 12:09:29 PM
and a heist movie called Money Plane from Andrew Lawrence (not that one, a former child star with little directorial experience whose first TV role was playing a 2-year-old Joey Lawrence in Blossom).

Red Letter Media's video on Money Plane is fantastic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaSNvI7oShk

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 26, 2021, 12:12:11 AM
Good points. What do you make of this crit? Again, I just feel all this projection from the writer.

https://www.cracked.com/article_27855_surprisingly-racist-episodes-beloved-tv-shows.html

Again, seems unnecessarily harsh. They're just wrong that Frasier's racist paranoia is confirmed by the show, if it was then Mary would be furious and think that he was annoyed with her because she was black. The situation is positioned as Frasier being so overly aware of his white privilege that he feels constricted enough to be rendered uncharacteristically speechless. The fact Mary and the new producer talk so much is because they've chosen to give the women an attribute that Frasier can't usually tolerate to illustrate how trapped he feels by his guilt.

I'll agree that Frasier's use of Jim Crow era epithets is dodgy, I suppose it's so odd and outdated to seem completely ridiculous but not a scene I'd defend to the hilt.

St_Eddie

Quote from: BBCRugrats will go from being a cartoon to a CG animation

Oh, fuck right off.

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on February 25, 2021, 08:33:42 AM
Stale salad and mouldy eggs

Cum all over my face, what is a boy to do?

Chriddof

Quote from: dr_christian_troy on February 25, 2021, 05:52:55 PM

Quote from: UberNeuman on YouTubeBut I don't know what to do with those tossed salad and broken legs.

Quote from: Kairu Hakubi on YouTubeSeconds later, he walked into a carelessly placed rake