Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:28:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

All-new Fraisier

Started by Blue Jam, February 25, 2021, 07:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

I mean he's not a hack is he really though? he's meant as a competent psychiatrist who landed a plum media job, and Niles is meant to be genuine too? I mean there's also the joke that Frasier is Freudian and Niles is Jungian which does show they're very very trad. i don't think they're meant to be as false as Mark Corrigan, although they are both as lacking in social skills

the big joke is, arguably, that they attempt to be highbrow but they're actually ridiculous characters in farcical sitcom for NBC

dr_christian_troy

Icehaven

Tbf that pasta pesto looks dry as hell, no wonder he saw fit to get naked.

Psmith

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 27, 2021, 06:46:29 PM
Frasier has one of my favourite continuity errors. The sort of thing that would make Robert Webb cry with laughter.

When Frasier is speaking to his caller and says "Oh Denise", you can see his face reflected in the glass to the booth and his lips don't move

Christ, I'm amazed the script advisor kept their job after reading this catalogue of gaffes.

https://www.moviemistakes.com/tv3267/page20

Not a continuity error as such but showing Daphne's family, who live in Manchester, as United supporters exposes a glaring lack of knowledge by the American script writers and rankles with me every time.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: markburgle on February 27, 2021, 05:58:39 PM
I just took that as being about the fact that, due to both character's massive intellectual snobbery, neither Frasier or Niles were very good at their job. They were both so dazzled by clever theories that they did in fact both lack common sense, which is a vital part of any doctor's skill set

They're never presented as being bad at their jobs though. Quite the opposite. They both absolutely lack common sense but that isn't to the detriment of their professions. We're too often reminded that Martin's boatload of common sense is worth more than Frasier and Niles' book smarts which may be true most of the time but not all of the time as they're clearly doing very well in life.

Quote from: Seagullsim on February 28, 2021, 11:11:51 PM
Someone once said that Stephen Fry was "what stupid people think clever looks like". I've always thought of Frasier & Niles in much the same way - desperately trying to be posh and upper class (remember the painful wine tasting contest), but continually showing themselves up to be shallow.

Sort of agree with this in that Frasier and Niles often show themselves up to be shallow but they're saying that's a symptom of the posh and upper class rather than someone trying to attain it. For me the joke isn't a Hyacinth Bucket scenario (or lots of other British sitcoms) of somebody having aspirations above their class but rather the pretentiousness and sincerity that Frasier and Niles give to their interests. Frasier being particular about the positioning of his art for example ("Askew! Askew!") or Niles' unnecessarily descriptive coffee orders.

I don't believe Frasier and Niles are trying to be something they're not or falling short. They're both members of a wine club to the extent they both want to be president, they have season tickets for the opera, they like to try unusual cuisine etc. Their interests in all of these things is very genuine but they also enjoy the trappings of rubbing shoulders with important people or the satisfaction of knowing they're in an exclusive club. In the reality of the show I think they're both well-informed and cultured to most people they meet.

"Frasier" as a sitcom is no more clever or sophisticated than many others. We all know the references to Mahler and Eugene O'Neill could be replaced by Super Mario and Gene Rodenberry and you end up with The Big Bang Theory. What I'm trying to say is underneath it all, it's a sitcom with a joke every two lines. What sets it apart is a perfect storm of phenomenal writing, incredible performances, well-executed plots and relatable characters.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Psmith on March 01, 2021, 03:28:17 AM
Not a continuity error as such but showing Daphne's family, who live in Manchester, as United supporters exposes a glaring lack of knowledge by the American script writers and rankles with me every time.

Joss Whedon knew the score, the toxic bastard. He made Spike, a cockney vampire, a fan of them.

Bad Ambassador

I recall a Buffy episode guide noting that "like all Manchester United fans, Spike is from London."

Blue Jam

FYI all-old Fraisier is all available to stream on All4 now. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying it off Amazon Prime.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 02, 2021, 08:32:37 AMI recall a Buffy episode guide noting that "like all Manchester United fans, Spike is from London."

I really would have liked to see the theorised Giles/Spike spinoff.

In my head there's a sort of mournful brass-led theme tune while Anthony Head and James Marsters are in some half empty stands like Richie and Eddie on the bench in the opening titles of Bottom.

There's no one crazier than the Fray-zee-uh!

JaDanketies

Quote from: Psmith on March 01, 2021, 03:28:17 AMNot a continuity error as such but showing Daphne's family, who live in Manchester, as United supporters exposes a glaring lack of knowledge by the American script writers and rankles with me every time.

I live in Manchester and one of my friends (actually he dropped off the face of the planet but I'm meeting him again in a week or so) has MUFC tattooed on his knuckles. I got another friend one a bunch of Man UTD beermats for Christmas and he said it was one of the best presents he ever got.

In the pub I worked in in Cheetham Hill / Crumpsall it was decidedly United and the Blues would sit in the less-tastefully-decorated 'lounge' rather than the nice 'bar'. When United played any major match it was frantic but I earned mega tips. Not so much the case with City. This was 14 years ago but I can't imagine City are much cooler than they were back then.

And in Primary School, UTD were the ones that everyone liked. My early years involved pretty much all the kids telling me that I should like United and not like City. I could even tell you Giggs and Schmeichel and Owens and Neville all played on the same team at around the same time, but the only City player I could even think of is that one who shot the fireworks out of the window and was a good tabloid character. I know Alex Ferguson and Moyes but I don't know shit about City managers.

Should've prefaced this by saying I don't give a shit about football at all so any knowledge I have must be because it was important to my peers.

In terms of Fraiser I remember thinking on a sophisticated 21st-century rewatch that a lot of the treatment of Roz is unpleasant. Not just mocking her for being promiscuous, but her sexual availability seems to be largely taken for granted which leads to her being assaulted; I remember Fraiser landing a massive snog on Roz as she stepped out of his bathroom scraping off some pheromone spray, so he could avoid being seen to be almost-fucking Kenny's wife when Kenny had turned up poking around, and thinking it was particularly egregious.

But y'know you were supposed to think they were very good friends so they could get away with it a little. V sexually aggressive is our Fraiser tho

Icehaven

But then there's the time she does exactly the same thing to him in the coffee shop to make an ex-boyfriend jealous, so it's even stevens.

JaDanketies

I remember when United were playing in the 1999 UEFA Champions League Final and about to secure 'the Treble'. and when we left whatever venue we where in when I was 11 (the bar at the gym iirc) United were behind and had been for ages and the match was about to end, and then when we arrived home some older kid came screaming down the road shouting "UNITED HAVE SCORED THE EQUALIZER!!" One of the most exciting moments in Manchester football, I had literally just been in a place filled with united fans, and I was in the car on the way back when it happened. Don't think we turned on the telly to watch them win, admittedly.

Quote from: JaDanketies on April 15, 2022, 02:09:52 PMI remember when United were playing in the 1999 UEFA Champions League Final and about to secure 'the Treble'. and when we left whatever venue we where in when I was 11 (the bar at the gym iirc) United were behind and had been for ages and the match was about to end, and then when we arrived home some older kid came screaming down the road shouting "UNITED HAVE SCORED THE EQUALIZER!!" One of the most exciting moments in Manchester football, I had literally just been in a place filled with united fans, and I was in the car on the way back when it happened. Don't think we turned on the telly to watch them win, admittedly.

Scrambled egg alllll over your face, what is a boy to do!

PeterCornelius

I really hope this revival doesn't happen. The original run went on too long and should have ended when Niles and Daphne got married. All the great sexual tension was lost. In one episode (can't remember which one), Niles claims to be 'as randy as a stoat'. Yuck!

Icehaven

Over a year since this was confirmed as happening and there's still none of the originals except Grammer definitely involved, doesn't bode well.

Das Reboot

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 12, 2022, 09:35:33 PMFYI all-old Fraisier is all available to stream on All4 now. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying it off Amazon Prime.

Sadly, not all. I've been working my way through (up to series 6) and there's a few episodes missing - particularly around series 3. The most notable omission so far is the birth of Roz's baby towards the end of series 5. I've been meaning to start a thread to ask why this may be. Cancelled? I can't remember anything controversial, though it's been a good five or so years since I series linked the Channel 4 morning re-runs - and even then I would have been oblivious if they'd bypassed some episodes then.

This is why I'm reluctant to throw away any DVDs of shows that I really love, in case a streaming service decides to post them down the memory hole.

dissolute ocelot

The Guardian had a good David Hyde Pierce (Niles Crane) interview recently. He doesn't know anything about the revival either; he's currently starring as food snob Paul Child with Sarah Lancashire in a Julia Child biopic series on HBO Max/Sky Atlantic. I wonder if he and Lancashire ever discussed bad Mancunian accents.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Das Reboot on April 16, 2022, 02:00:43 PMSadly, not all. I've been working my way through (up to series 6) and there's a few episodes missing - particularly around series 3. The most notable omission so far is the birth of Roz's baby towards the end of series 5. I've been meaning to start a thread to ask why this may be. Cancelled? I can't remember anything controversial, though it's been a good five or so years since I series linked the Channel 4 morning re-runs - and even then I would have been oblivious if they'd bypassed some episodes then.

This is why I'm reluctant to throw away any DVDs of shows that I really love, in case a streaming service decides to post them down the memory hole.

All4's got the edited morning versions up as far as I remember. maybe those episodes you've noticed missing just don't get aired in the morning so have been left out on All4? could be that they play it really safe and don't air certain plots at breakfast time or edits make them too short or just unwatchable.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Icehaven on April 16, 2022, 10:49:30 AMOver a year since this was confirmed as happening and there's still none of the originals except Grammer definitely involved, doesn't bode well.

Cheers fans may have  been similarly pessimistic when Frasier originally aired. Grammer is a safe pair of hands. If this new show has good writers it could work out. Fingers crossed.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 16, 2022, 03:23:52 PMThe Guardian had a good David Hyde Pierce (Niles Crane) interview recently. He doesn't know anything about the revival either; he's currently starring as food snob Paul Child with Sarah Lancashire in a Julia Child biopic series on HBO Max/Sky Atlantic. I wonder if he and Lancashire ever discussed bad Mancunian accents.

Thanks for the link. What a dude.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 16, 2022, 03:23:52 PMhe's currently starring as food snob Paul Child
"I have prepared a pie-in-the-face take."