Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:49:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad science in TV programmes

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 25, 2021, 02:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Robocop The Series - Robocop is able to see the last image a person saw before being murdered by looking at the back of the corpse's retina using his retina scan tool.

Blumf

Well, if you're going to start with shit TV, then all of the CSI serieses.

That image held on the retina of dead people thing turns up a lot in fiction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optography
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EyeRemember (has the Robocop example listed)

MojoJojo

The Victorians were big on the murderer appearing on the retinas of their victims. They checked Jack the Rippers victims, and since they couldn't see anyone they concluded he must have attacked them from behind.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 25, 2021, 03:29:33 PM
The Victorians were big on the murderer appearing on the retinas of their victims. They checked Jack the Rippers victims, and since they couldn't see anyone they concluded he must have attacked them from behind.

Thick cunts. Fuck knows how they built all them bridges.

Gulftastic

Thanks to Mythbusters I roll my eyes at any 'blown away' reactions to being shot. I was very disappointed in The Sopranos when Tony Blundetto went flying after he caught a bullet in the head.

Keebleman

In 1927 the killer or killers of PC George Gutteridge shot his eyes out.  It's often reported that this was done because the criminals believed that their faces would appear on the dead man's retinas, but as they never confessed that's just supposition.

https://www.essex.police.uk/police-forces/essex-police/areas/essex-police/au/about-us/essex-police-memorial-trust/roll-of-honour/roll-of-honour/george-william-gutteridge/

About 25 years ago I read a book which proposed that of the two men convicted only one - Kennedy - had carried out the killing, and he had hoped that by framing Browne and saying it was he who'd actually fired the shots he, Kennedy, would get a lighter sentence.  Didn't work.

Mobius

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 25, 2021, 04:47:08 PM

Biggest laugh of 2021 for me so far mate, thank you!

kalowski

Quote from: Keebleman on February 25, 2021, 08:46:20 PM
In 1927 the killer or killers of PC George Gutteridge shot his eyes out.  It's often reported that this was done because the criminals believed that their faces would appear on the dead man's retinas, but as they never confessed that's just supposition.

https://www.essex.police.uk/police-forces/essex-police/areas/essex-police/au/about-us/essex-police-memorial-trust/roll-of-honour/roll-of-honour/george-william-gutteridge/

About 25 years ago I read a book which proposed that of the two men convicted only one - Kennedy - had carried out the killing, and he had hoped that by framing Browne and saying it was he who'd actually fired the shots he, Kennedy, would get a lighter sentence.  Didn't work.
"But what that Comanche believes, ain't got no eyes, he can't enter the spirit-land. Has to wander forever between the winds."

Thomas

Quote from: Gulftastic on February 25, 2021, 05:06:04 PM
Thanks to Mythbusters I roll my eyes at any 'blown away' reactions to being shot. I was very disappointed in The Sopranos when Tony Blundetto went flying after he caught a bullet in the head.

See also: characters falling unconscious after a bop on the head. I know this one inflames SMBH's ire, too. You'd think professional screenwriters might've Googled it by now.

BlodwynPig

dissolute ocelot

Star Trek and Spongebob Squarepants are the worst.

Keebleman

Quote from: kalowski on February 26, 2021, 09:29:17 AM
"But what that Comanche believes, ain't got no eyes, he can't enter the spirit-land. Has to wander forever between the winds."

John Wayne in The Searchers!  What's my prize? (Dead Comanch' eyes?)

Rizla

Quote from: jamiefairlie on February 25, 2021, 04:47:08 PM
They got ants to do it (when they weren't at the disco).

Icehaven

A film rather than a TV series but the 'logic' applied to the periodic table of the elements in Evolution always struck me as bizarre. I know nothing about science so maybe that is how it works but I don't think so.

Blumf

Quote from: icehaven on February 26, 2021, 06:44:20 PM
A film rather than a TV series but the 'logic' applied to the periodic table of the elements in Evolution always struck me as bizarre. I know nothing about science so maybe that is how it works but I don't think so.

It's sort of plausible, as an element's position on the Periodic Table indicate it's properties, including how they react with other elements.

kalowski

Quote from: Keebleman on February 26, 2021, 06:33:02 PM
John Wayne in The Searchers!  What's my prize? (Dead Comanch' eyes?)
Ol' Mose's rockin' chair.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Rizla on February 26, 2021, 06:37:43 PM
They got ants to do it (when they weren't at the disco).
Thanks ants for the bridges...thridges...

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Thomas on February 26, 2021, 09:48:46 AM
See also: characters falling unconscious after a bop on the head. I know this one inflames SMBH's ire, too. You'd think professional screenwriters might've Googled it by now.

Even worse, when they come round they're completely better and don't have brain damage. they've just been asleep for a bit.

katzenjammer

It's dangerous that one too. When I was a kid I think my mates and I were all pretty convinced we could punch someone in the head A team style without any serious consequences.

Sonny_Jim

Playing Kerbal Space Program has ruined quite a lot of sci-fi for me.  Orbits and how spaceships move through space especially.  There's a couple of TV and films where they get everything right (2001, The Expanse, The Martian, Interstellar) but then you have stuff like Armageddon that famously NASA uses it in their management training program as it gets so much wrong

'The Core' is a notable exception, in that it's science is completely bonkers, but it's all done in a nod-nod wink way, the ship is made out of 'unobtanium' for example.

Butchers Blind

That bit in a Bugs Bunny cartoon where he saves himself from a free falling elevator by stepping out just before in hits the ground.  Nonsense,

gib

In an episode of Elementary, Sherlock claims to have bred a new species of bee, yet the bee shown is an existing species.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 27, 2021, 11:22:25 AM
That bit in a Bugs Bunny cartoon where he saves himself from a free falling elevator by stepping out just before in hits the ground.  Nonsense,

Made all the worse for the reckless way that it encouraged real life kids to try and save themselves from a free falling elevator by stepping out just before it hits the ground.

Blumf

Quote from: Butchers Blind on February 27, 2021, 11:22:25 AM

Made me so mad, I put my foot through the TV screen and sent Mel Blanc the bill!