Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:04:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Household laptop recommendation

Started by Magnum Valentino, February 25, 2021, 03:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum Valentino

Hello again to the subforum that solves literally all my problems.

My wife and me want to put a laptop in the living room for occasional use - browsing, getting the Tesco order in, very minimal.

Can anyone recommend the cheapest GOOD laptop on the market at the moment? Mac's far too capable and expensive so I imagine Windows is the way to go. I'm hopefully not going to using it to download anything but in these modern times do you need to pay for antivirus and that sort of thing? It won't be used for streaming or anything very intensive, but on the other hand, I don't want it to be so underpowered that loading web pages is a chore, either.

Thanks all for any help you might offer :-)

Famous Mortimer

ETA Prime on Youtube does some excellent reviews of low-cost electronics, might be worth checking his stuff out.

Zetetic

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 25, 2021, 03:13:47 PM
in these modern times do you need to pay for antivirus and that sort of thing
No.

Sebastian Cobb

Used or refurbished thinkpad with warranty will give you much longer life than a cheap new low-spec laptop.

Tony Tony Tony

You could even consider moving away from Windows if you have an ageing laptop around that is creaking under the weight of Windows 10 (or even buy a cheapo second hand one which isn't too trashed cosmetically).

There are quite a few free operating systems around that once installed are just as much point and click GUI operated as Windows.

Most recommended seems to be Chrome OS which seems to suffice for what you described i.e. a bit of web browsing maybe some social media and perhaps light word processing. Just don't expect it to handle multimedia applications and you won't go far wrong.