Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:36:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What did he mean by this?

Started by Video Game Fan 2000, February 26, 2021, 04:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

this thread has actively made me want to work against whoever the cunt in the photo is and I havent even got to page 2 yet, posting to myself from the fucking past

EDIT - so we still dont know

Chedney Honks

Excellent username on a par with DJ DAFT PUNK FAN

Blue Jam

Tony Yeboah

I believe Benny Hill's early stuff is considered very innovative. Morecambe & Wise borrowed stuff from him for example.

But I really came on here to post this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNOovivbnVM

Cuellar

Quote from: Goldentony on February 28, 2021, 04:54:19 AM
this thread has actively made me want to work against whoever the cunt in the photo is and I havent even got to page 2 yet, posting to myself from the fucking past

EDIT - so we still dont know

It's Gilles Deleuze, Benny Hill superfan and famous MORON

Video Game Fan 2000

He was interested in the fact that he was interested in Benny Hill.

Blue Jam

Video Game Fan 2000

Noam Chomsky getting irrate and drunk, ranting about the time that Guattari wrote an article saying Monty Python were huge fans of Benny Hill and wanted to collaborate with him. It obviously never happened and it was a travesty a whole chapter of Fashionable Nonsense wasn't dedicated to debunking it. He goes on to blame 'French theory' for the "Benny Hill was great in the 1960s" myth being taught as fact to university students in sociology courses all over the English speaking world.

Jake Thingray

http://www.ratfans.com/winter_wonderland.htm

The words "Roland Rat is Roland Rat and Roland Rat is Roland the very zany Rat" scan to the music in the opening titles.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Jake Thingray on February 28, 2021, 04:46:21 PM
"Roland Rat is Roland Rat and Roland Rat is Roland the very zany Rat"

We're doing Artaud bits now?

Autopsy Turvey

By comedian standards, Benny Hill was no dickhead.

Video Game Fan 2000

Apart from coercing costars into sexual acts he was a saint. We all have off days.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on February 28, 2021, 05:40:12 PM
By comedian standards, Benny Hill was no dickhead.

areet if that's yer benny to die on

famethrowa

Come on, Henry McGee and Little Jackie carried that show, where's their due

Video Game Fan 2000

Video Game Fan 2000

Next thread idea: would Benny Hill have voted for Brexit?

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on February 28, 2021, 06:03:39 PM
Apart from coercing costars into sexual acts he was a saint. We all have off days.

Not so much coercion, there were no threats or force as I understand it, it was more polite persuasion and mild bribery. Which again, in the context of comedian behaviour then and now, puts him up with the Angels, if you'll pardon the pun.

Video Game Fan 2000

Is forum member "Autopsy Turvey" a member of the Vercotti crime syndicate?

Jake Thingray

The last time I tried arguing with one of the horrible Hill's devoted online fans, after I mentioned he nicked material from other comedy writer/performers to such an extent he even had the nerve to be billed as "the Lad Himself", having stolen that from Tony Hancock, the admirer replied that was permissible as in his view Hancock seemed to have been a "grumpy pessimist" while 'Mr. Hill' appeared more "laddish".

Video Game Fan 2000

Cripes, you're not wrong.

And the Three Stooges!

Goldentony

by french standards, benny hill was no dickhead

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Goldentony on March 02, 2021, 11:52:33 PM
by french standards, benny hill was no dickhead

Yet Foucault never felt safe being the same room as him.

Video Game Fan 2000

I watched some of the French versions of Benny Hill out of curiosity and they seem to have cut it up rapidly to make the "live action cartoon" gimmick work better than in the original versions, and they dub Benny's 'characters' with more slightly more appropriate exaggerated voices, done by a respected voice actor (the original voice of Asterix).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2T1sABnliY
No fan of Asterix but Benny Hill condescending to this guy is super annoying. Imagine saying "you do accents so well!" in a surprised voice to Billy West.

8:00pm on sunday nights, though. Black face intact. No excuse, Deleuze. 

Video Game Fan 2000

It's 8pm on a Sunday in the mid-70s and I'm the lad lui-même, Gilles "the Machine" Deleuze. Just the time to tune in to my favourite television programme, the Benny Hill Show. A good laugh at blackface is just what I need to unwind before I'm back at work tomorrow at my desk on monday morning, working hard at my job trying to convince schizophrenics to have group sex.