Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,349
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:37:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fit-Coms - The Better Sitcoms In History (other than the obvious classics)

Started by Brundle-Fly, February 26, 2021, 07:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

The Other One (1977–79), a sitcom about a man who is a liar who attempts to hide his insecurities through charade; it was successful enough for a second series to be broadcast. Starring Micheal Gambon & Richard Briers. Written by Larbey & Esmonde after The Good Life and before Ever Decreasing Circles

I loved this show as a kid. Surprising really, as it was rather desperate and melancholic. I think it was because it had the pathos of another BBC sit-com fave of mine. The Fall & Rise Of Reginald Perrin,

There are some clips here. I think one of the reasons it didn't particularly resonate with viewers was because Briers' character was so entirely different to the beloved Tom Good. Makes you realise what a brilliant actor he was. Gambon too. The dialogue crackles and pops with some hard back and forth editing. I don't remember it being so snappy.

It's a shame the Tavernier scene isn't on YouTube. The two characters looking for a meal in a Spanish village believe they've wandered into a local rustic restaurant and start ordering food and drink until the late hours.  They eventually realise they've invaded some poor family's home who were too polite to ask them to leave.

https://www.britishclassiccomedy.co.uk/the-other-one

Icehaven

Nightingales. Think it's probably better remembered on CaB than in general, and it's not been repeated much as far as I know, but it was terrific. I rewatched it about 15ish years ago and it definitely held up.

dead-ced-dead

This is a really good idea for a thread. Sitcoms and shows that are scrappy and fun if not 5/5 stone cold classics.

It's not a sitcom but I've been re-watching Psych, a humorous detective programme. I forgot how funny it is, especially Dulé Hill. Something about his forlorn, worried face has me chuckling every time he does it.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 26, 2021, 07:43:23 PM

The Other One (1977–79), a sitcom about a man who is a liar who attempts to hide his insecurities through charade; it was successful enough for a second series to be broadcast. Starring Micheal Gambon & Richard Briers. Written by Larbey & Esmonde after The Good Life and before Ever Decreasing Circles

I loved this show as a kid. Surprising really, as it was rather desperate and melancholic. I think it was because it had the pathos of another BBC sit-com fave of mine. The Fall & Rise Of Reginald Perrin,

I have a feeling this may be the sitcom that contains the scene I've mentioned before where two middle-aged men meet two punk girls. With hilarious consequences. Well, one of the girls asks where the nearest bog is and is directed to a swamp.

It's in the right time period and I did have Briers in my head as one of the characters. Could it be? A mystery that has bugged me for years solved.

BeardFaceMan

Mr Don & Mr George, the spin off sitcom from sketch show Absolutely, might be the best single series sitcom I've seen.

DrGreggles

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 26, 2021, 09:30:37 PM
Mr Don & Mr George, the spin off sitcom from sketch show Absolutely, might be the best single series sitcom I've seen.

Loved that. Gloriously silly.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on February 26, 2021, 09:17:31 PM

It's not a sitcom but I've been re-watching Psych, a humorous detective programme. I forgot how funny it is, especially Dulé Hill. Something about his forlorn, worried face has me chuckling every time he does it.
I got into Psych about ten years ago and enjoyed it a lot. I lost interest around series six, perhaps more from just too much of it than anything, but as it's been about six or seven years since then, perhaps I should revisit to finish off the remaining episodes. I agree Hill was always good value, but it was a pretty solid cast all round.

Icehaven

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 26, 2021, 09:30:37 PM

Yeah that was excellent! I still think fondly of Moray Hunter's misshapen glasses.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on February 26, 2021, 09:55:05 PM
I got into Psych about ten years ago and enjoyed it a lot. I lost interest around series six, perhaps more from just too much of it than anything, but as it's been about six or seven years since then, perhaps I should revisit to finish off the remaining episodes. I agree Hill was always good value, but it was a pretty solid cast all round.

The ensemble is solid. Timothy Omundson is also great. I didn't realise he had a massive stroke a year or so ago. He nearly died, hence why he's in a wheelchair for most of the second Psych film and recent TV show appearances.

And you're right, Psych does have an issue of becoming repetitive, such is the nature of the detective format, but I reckon you should push through.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

15 Storeys High. Your classic odd couple central characters and a concept that allows for whatever daft asides the writers want to include. I understand Sean Lock's reasons for not doing another sitcom but, good gosh, I wish he'd have reconsidered.

I mentioned it in another thread a little while back and it seemed to get short shrift, but I thought Better Off Ted was smashing. It had a nice sort of cartoon energy to it.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 27, 2021, 01:05:59 PM
15 Storeys High. Your classic odd couple central characters and a concept that allows for whatever daft asides the writers want to include. I understand Sean Lock's reasons for not doing another sitcom but, good gosh, I wish he'd have reconsidered.

I mentioned it in another thread a little while back and it seemed to get short shrift, but I thought Better Off Ted was smashing. It had a nice sort of cartoon energy to it.

I adore Better off Ted!

Icehaven

Wilfred, with Elijah Wood as a depressive who sees his neighbour's dog as a foul mouthed Australian stoner. Think it had two series on BBC 3. I've not seen it since it was first on and I don't think it's been repeated much if at all, but I enjoyed it.

sevendaughters

just watched an episode of The Other One. how come I've never heard of this until I opened this thread? Gambon is outstanding. He could do anything and I'd watch it.

chrispmartha

What's the consensus on Operation Good Guys?

I adored it at the time but haven't watched it for years not sure how it will hold up?

Loved Nightingales aswell.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: sevendaughters on February 27, 2021, 02:15:39 PM
just watched an episode of The Other One. how come I've never heard of this until I opened this thread? Gambon is outstanding. He could do anything and I'd watch it.

He reminds me of a young sallow Stephen Fry in this.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: chrispmartha on February 27, 2021, 02:21:17 PM

I adored it at the time but haven't watched it for years not sure how it will hold up?

Loved Nightingales aswell.

My memory of it is that the early series were good then it went cack when they added a laugh track.

This thread has reminded me of Dead Man Weds with Dave Spikey and Johnny Vegas, I remember that being a solid sitcom. And not in a 'good for ITV' kind of way, it was just good. I think it got punted around the schedules a bit too. Must rewatch it.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on February 26, 2021, 09:26:11 PM
I have a feeling this may be the sitcom that contains the scene I've mentioned before where two middle-aged men meet two punk girls. With hilarious consequences. Well, one of the girls asks where the nearest bog is and is directed to a swamp.

It's in the right time period and I did have Briers in my head as one of the characters. Could it be? A mystery that has bugged me for years solved.

That doesn't ring any bells. They spend a lot of the time in Spain so I can't imagine any English punk girls knocking about.

DrGreggles

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 27, 2021, 02:28:17 PM
This thread has reminded me of Dead Man Weds with Dave Spikey and Johnny Vegas, I remember that being a solid sitcom. And not in a 'good for ITV' kind of way, it was just good. I think it got punted around the schedules a bit too. Must rewatch it.

Yes, that was a great little show.
Gordon Garden is a tremendous comedy name too.

Brundle-Fly

Talking of Psyche...

Cybill is an American television sitcom created by Chuck Lorre, which aired on CBS from January 2, 1995, to July 13, 1998. Starring Cybill Shepherd, the show revolves around the life of Cybill Sheridan, a twice-divorced single mother of two and struggling actress in her 40s, who has never gotten her big show business break. Alicia Witt and Dedee Pfeiffer co-starred as Sheridan's daughters, with Alan Rosenberg and Tom Wopat playing their respective fathers, while Christine Baranski appeared as Cybill's hard-drinking friend Maryann. Due to the show's premise, many episodes featured a show-within-a-show format, showing Cybill Sheridan playing a variety of other characters in her various film and TV acting roles.

I've not seen Cybill since it went out but I remember never missing an episode. It had a 30 Rock meets Absolutely Fabulous vibe to it, if I recall. Christine Baranski is definitely the template for Lumley's Patsy. To be honest, it was one of those shows where you got to spend half an hour in the company of a bunch of attractive people. Sometimes I can't face a Steptoe or a Vyvyan.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 27, 2021, 02:28:35 PM
That doesn't ring any bells. They spend a lot of the time in Spain so I can't imagine any English punk girls knocking about.

Oh well. Can't win em all. Someday I'll find out what show it was on then. Because I definitely saw it.

Quote from: icehaven on February 26, 2021, 08:16:22 PM
Nightingales. Think it's probably better remembered on CaB than in general, and it's not been repeated much as far as I know, but it was terrific. I rewatched it about 15ish years ago and it definitely held up.

Forces TV have it and repeat all the time.

neov1974

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 27, 2021, 01:05:59 PM

I was gonna say 15 Storeys High, but wondered if it was too contemporary, and turns out I am old and 20 years have passed
Really great stuff though

St_Eddie

Quote from: chrispmartha on February 27, 2021, 02:21:17 PM

1st series = Great

2nd series = Very good but becoming a bit broad and with a horribly out of place laughter track (which seems to consist of a small audience of about 12 people)

3rd series = Two absolutely awful episodes at the start, but followed up by four excellent episodes, which feel as though they could have come from series 1 (laugh track aside)

Overall, I'd say it holds up very well, even if it can be patchy at times.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

chrispmartha

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 27, 2021, 04:09:52 PM
1st series = Great

2nd series = Very good but becoming a bit broad and with a horribly out of place laughter track (which seems to consist of a small audience of about 12 people)

3rd series = Two absolutely awful episodes at the start, but followed up by four excellent episodes, which feel as though they could have come from series 1 (laugh track aside)

Overall, I'd say it holds up very well, even if it can be patchy at times.

I think I've got them all on a hard drive somewhere as I 'found' them in the internet a fair while ago, ill have to and try find it.

I have definitely got them all on VHS though, with no means of playing them.

petril

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 27, 2021, 02:44:26 PM
Talking of Psyche...

Cybill is an American television sitcom created by Chuck Lorre, which aired on CBS from January 2, 1995, to July 13, 1998. Starring Cybill Shepherd, the show revolves around the life of Cybill Sheridan, a twice-divorced single mother of two and struggling actress in her 40s, who has never gotten her big show business break. Alicia Witt and Dedee Pfeiffer co-starred as Sheridan's daughters, with Alan Rosenberg and Tom Wopat playing their respective fathers, while Christine Baranski appeared as Cybill's hard-drinking friend Maryann. Due to the show's premise, many episodes featured a show-within-a-show format, showing Cybill Sheridan playing a variety of other characters in her various film and TV acting roles.

I've not seen Cybill since it went out but I remember never missing an episode. It had a 30 Rock meets Absolutely Fabulous vibe to it, if I recall. Christine Baranski is definitely the template for Lumley's Patsy. To be honest, it was one of those shows where you got to spend half an hour in the company of a bunch of attractive people. Sometimes I can't face a Steptoe or a Vyvyan.

think it became one of the starter batch of Channel 4 repeat circuit sitcoms. always seem to remember catching random bits on afternoons in the school holidays