Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,475
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:00:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gordon Ramsay's Bank Balance

Started by Blue Jam, February 26, 2021, 10:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

"It's simple!"

Not it isn't Gordo, it's Numberwang.

Alberon

I watched some of this during the week and it's a total dogs dinner.

Overly complicated rules, tacky and cheap Tardis console room knockoff and the very high chance the contestants leave with nothing. But above it all there's Ramsay and his ever taller hair. He's very restrained (barely a fuck here or there) and even encouraging.

None of it works.

I suppose there's the pandemic to thank for letting this out at prime time on the BBC.

Malcy

I mostly watched the first ep but found the first contestants a right fucking pain in the arse so skipped a good bit of it. Haven't watched anymore since.

Anyone else get a TARDIS vibe from the set?

It's likely getting a second series as I had an email invite to be in the virtual audience this morning.

Blue Jam

The hair transplant isn't quite down there with Jimmy White's but it ain't good.

This is just glitzy high-stakes Jenga isn't it?

oustropique

This feels like something from a parallel universe to me. I thought I was in General with the thread title, but no, this is real. Laughing a lot at how serious it takes itself, and this thread.

"Down on the bottom tier." Not half.

matjam13

Ratings aren't good for this.
Episode 1: 2.7 million
Episode 2: 1.9 million

oustropique

"Name two characters in every episode of Fawlty Towers"

"MISTER FAWLTY"

"THE MEXICAN ONE WHO WEARS A HAT" ... "MIGUEL"

Fantastic stuff.

Blue Jam

Quote from: matjam13 on February 26, 2021, 11:03:04 PM

Gordo just told the first pair of hapless contestants something like "Literally millions are watching you do this" and I thought "I doubt it" so thanks for that.

Alberon

It feels like its on a par with all those other strange little gameshows that pop up in the afternoon, but the BBC has a hole in its schedules so now it's on a 9pm with a B-list star and an inflated potential prize.

It's like putting Father Brown out in the prime slot on Sunday evenings.

Blue Jam

Is this show using that same camera filter they use for the boardroom bits in The Apprentice? The one that makes everyone's eyes look disturbingly blue?

Bazooka

How much deliberating goes on, on a scale of 1 to 100(1 being too much)?

Blue Jam

This is fucking dreadful but I can't stop watching. Yep, that's Gordo through and through. The King Midas of crap telly.

Blue Jam

Episode 2 and I think I've worked out the twist here:
Spoiler alert
This game is impossible to win
[close]

colacentral

Doesn't Ramsay have enough money? He's produced hundreds of episodes of Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares in the US, which would be netting him enough to comfortably retire for several lifetimes, before you even factor in all the residuals he'll be getting from constant repeats on TV both in the US and abroad, and selling to streaming services. So why the fuck does he go pissing about with Gino off This Morning and that cunt from First Dates on for those inane shows they do on ITV, and now this bollocks? Ridiculous. He must really hate seeing his family.

Though I did recently binge all of "Gordon Ramsay: 24 Hours to Hell and Back" expecting it to be a worse Kitchen Nightmares, and it's actually much better for some reason. I don't know if it's because of the time limit of 24 hours, like they can't spend time fabricating conflict because the whole thing is about just getting in, sorting out the issue and getting out.

Looking up some of the restaurants later and it turns out that most of them weren't even struggling for business before he arrived, they just applied to go on so they could get a free makeover.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

There would be more viewers if it was simply called I WILL RAPE FOR CASH

jobotic

Saw two minutes of this. Thought it was million pound drop but it looked even more stupid.

Fucking hate Ramsay and the contestants were two ledges who said "to be fair" at the end of every sentence like legends do for some reason to be fair though.

sevendaughters

Worth watching for his increasingly erratic phrasing.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: oustropique on February 26, 2021, 11:06:48 PM
"Name two characters in every episode of Fawlty Towers"

"MISTER FAWLTY"

"THE MEXICAN ONE WHO WEARS A HAT" ... "MIGUEL"

Fantastic stuff.

Part of Gordon's remit for the show must be that he's allowed to swear (sparingly) but he's not allowed to insult the contestants, otherwise he'd have called a few of them 'fucking thick cunts' like those two lads on last night who didn't seem to know anything.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: sevendaughters on February 27, 2021, 02:19:05 PM
Worth watching for his increasingly erratic phrasing.

This show confirms what an odd person Ramsay is. He's very nice to the contestants and comes across as quite genuine, but he still has this slightly manic, anxious energy which I find simultaneously fascinating and exhausting. He never looks truly comfortable in front of a camera, there's always a palpable sense of nervousness and impatience simmering beneath the surface.

As you've all said, the game itself is bollocks, but watching Ramsay in genial quiz show host mode makes it sort of worthwhile.

shiftwork2

Butchers Blind

Does he do his idiot sandwich catchphrase?

colacentral

"I didn't see the Kardashians up there."

Gordon: "that's trashy TV."

Fucking hell, he's one to talk.

matjam13

Quote from: matjam13 on February 26, 2021, 11:03:04 PM
Episode 3: 1.6 million

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It would probably work as one of those half-hour early evening quizzes you watch while having your tea, something to shout the answers at before doing something less boring instead, but it doesn't deserve to be on at 9pm for a whole fucking hour.

While I appreciate that our beleaguered executive friends in the television industry are struggling to pad out the schedules right now, a shit primetime gameshow hosted by Gordon Ramsay was doomed to failure.

They'd be better off repeating old episodes of Shoestring.

colacentral

I don't know why they have to stack the things at the same time that they're trying to answer the questions. Then when they stack the penalty ones we have to watch them stack them one at a time while we wait forever for another question.

colacentral

Still, what other quiz show has the host saying something like "sorry, Falkirk is not a city, it's a shit hole."

petril

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 27, 2021, 05:45:55 PM
It would probably work as one of those half-hour early evening quizzes you watch while having your tea, something to shout the answers at before doing something less boring instead, but it doesn't deserve to be on at 9pm for a whole fucking hour.

While I appreciate that our beleaguered executive friends in the television industry are struggling to pad out the schedules right now, a shit primetime gameshow hosted by Gordon Ramsay was doomed to failure.

They'd be better off repeating old episodes of Shoestring.

it needs a soft rival in a clashing timeslot. like contrasting format and tone and all that. something kinda 90s cheap whimsy on 4 or 5 while mum and dad watch that on 3, dunno why you like that shouty arsehole mum. yeah, I called him an arsehole

stonkers

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 27, 2021, 03:53:09 PM
This show confirms what an odd person Ramsay is. He's very nice to the contestants and comes across as quite genuine, but he still has this slightly manic, anxious energy which I find simultaneously fascinating and exhausting. He never looks truly comfortable in front of a camera, there's always a palpable sense of nervousness and impatience simmering beneath the surface.

As you've all said, the game itself is bollocks, but watching Ramsay in genial quiz show host mode makes it sort of worthwhile.

Yeah he can be the big dominant personality on a cooking show because he's the boss and he is genuinely shit hot at cooking. Whenever he's on chat shows or the like, stuff where he's not in charge, he comes across as an anxious oddball. He is not remotely cut out to be a game show host and it is fun watching him try his best at it.

colacentral

Quote from: stonkers on February 27, 2021, 07:25:02 PM
Yeah he can be the big dominant personality on a cooking show because he's the boss and he is genuinely shit hot at cooking. Whenever he's on chat shows or the like, stuff where he's not in charge, he comes across as an anxious oddball. He is not remotely cut out to be a game show host and it is fun watching him try his best at it.

Because he doesn't know anything else. He's a workaholic because he can't sit still and entertain himself with thoughts. That's why alot of stupid people love working every chance they can get, because the idea of having free time to think about things is terrifying.

I watched one of those Gino, Gordon and Fred episodes a while ago, and there was a bit where Gino asked Ramsay what sort of music he liked. Ramsay turned red, shrugged, and unconvincingly answered "Coldplay?"

He likes cooking and working and not much else.