Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:54:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone read Stone Junction?

Started by holyzombiejesus, February 27, 2021, 11:56:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Might start this on Sunday night but thought I'd check on others' opinions first. Is it any good? It seems quite David Mitchell-y? It's not all mystical hippy shit is it?

jfjnpxmy

It's hippy shit for the first half, then it turns into a not-very-good hybrid of a spy thriller and a road novel.

holyzombiejesus

So you don't think it's very good then? I'm about 100 pages in, just got to what I presume is the end of the first part
Spoiler alert
where the mum gets blown up
[close]
. Quite enjoyed it and all the reviews seem really positive.

jfjnpxmy

I actually liked the book on the whole. The road novel segment towards the end just didn't click with me at all - too many wacky characters introduced and dropped in a couple of pages and Daniel was starting to get right on my tits by the end, but that's basically a staple of the genre so the problem's with me. Plus I was really enjoying the tutoring vignettes, so having the book suddenly handbrake turn into something totally different was a bit disappointing. But again, my problem.

holyzombiejesus

I'm about two thirds of the way through and it's getting a bit tedious now. He's
Spoiler alert
turned invisible and stolen that diamond
[close]
and it's just silly, like YAF. Looking forward to getting it finished even though, as you say, it is enjoyable.

brat-sampson

I love it. Read it as a teen and the whole rogues and rebels Mystical American Outlaw vibes just ooze off the page. Some great characters, if a bit outlandish, and just a really addictive writing style. one of the books where I like the writing more than the story maybe but the story was definitely good enough, especially in the first half.

holyzombiejesus

Finished it last night. What a load of shit. First two thirds, up until
Spoiler alert
he learns to disappear,
[close]
are really good fun. Last third is just stupid
Spoiler alert
(apart from the horrible CIA man and that guy they get in to investigate the disappearance of the diamond).That stupid fucking girl and her imaginary daughter and the complete absence of any sense of danger because he can just vanish at will.
[close]
Awful.

jfjnpxmy

Haha fuck I forgot about
Spoiler alert
the obnoxious hippy girl with her imaginary daughter. Isn't there an absolutely soul-destroying awful radio DJ, as well?
[close]