Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,467
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:59:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Live 8 - How was it for you?

Started by Adrian Brezhnev, July 02, 2005, 11:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Brezhnev

I'd imagine that the boards are going to be very quiet today as most of us are busy- but for those of us that did not manage to get tickets to any of the events or - worse - did not manage to make it on to the guest list for the Summer Barbeque Meet, for whatever reason, or just simply couldn't get there, what are your thoughts on Live 8, now that it's happening?

I have followed the BBC coverage with interest. I think that they are making a valiant effort to be as impartial as they can, by having a wide variety of guests that are for, againts, and indifferent to the whole thing.

I do wish they would make more of an effort to cover what is happening at the Eden Project, there are some truly great musicians there.

The coverage I have seen of Japan has been quite funny, especially the acts that were featured. They do all seem rather bewildered by it all.

fanny splendid

I loved it, It was brilliant. All the musicians were so into the cause: you could really tell how affected they were. The atmosphere and the crowd were amazing, too. It's just a shame it's now all over!

Almost Yearly

Yeah, McCartney's untimely death during the opening bars of Sgt Peppers took nothing away from what was a great day, in retrospect. The pyrotechnicians must be in for a bit of a talking to.

Regular John

I personally felt that The Who wearing blackface was a slightly misguided attempt at getting a message across.

smewie lewis

And choosing Jungle Book's "Wanna Be Like You" as their opener was a little contentious.

Almost Yearly

Quite apart from Madonna doing herself with the severed arm of a starving Sudanian.

Clerk

The highlight for me has to be when the terrorist bomb exploded center stage creating a void in the music industry that only quality artists can fill, I honestly cannot await the likes of  jive bunny and sonya returning where bono once stood admitedly not exactly where he stood as thats now a 5 ft deep crater.

falafel

Pinball

Shame about the dirty bomb, and the irradiation of central London, but it was a fitting end to the Floyd set.

Hound

still, at least by the end of it everyone in Africa had a big Bentley and mansion. At least something was achieved.

Cappsy

Well, that rendition of Sgt. Pepper is what I would term as 'a bit good'.

Shame Bono has to carry on, though

Hound

Quote from: "Cappsy"Well, that rendition of Sgt. Pepper is what I would term as 'a bit good'.

Shame Bono has to carry on, though

Maybe if he sings hard enough he can reverse Global Warming as well

Hypnotoad.

Wow, this is incredibly fucking shit

I'm gonna watch the cricket

mwude

Did Bono just claim that "We have the drugs to cure AIDS?"  I'd swear that's what he said.  Maybe I wasn't listening close enough.  Or perhaps Ferne Cotton made a major scientific breakthrough during Sgt Pepper's.

Cappsy

Quote from: "Homer J"Wow, this is incredibly fucking shit

I'm gonna watch the cricket

I'm riding it out to hear Sting sing a Grant Naylor song.  Unfortunately it's not the Chicken Song, though.

Cappsy

Quote from: "mwude"Did Bono just claim that "We have the drugs to cure AIDS?"  I'd swear that's what he said.  Maybe I wasn't listening close enough.  Or perhaps Ferne Cotton made a major scientific breakthrough during Sgt Pepper's.

Your ears are not lying.  He's a unbelievably smug shit.

Robot Devil

To be fair, he said "the drugs to treat AIDS", and even if he did misspeak and say cure, it's not realy "smug".

The Coldplay next.

Borboski

Ah fucks sake i was just saying we're missing sting.

Can someone tell me what I should think about this?

Naturally, I'm incredibly cynical, maybe U2 should sell some of their fucking guitars and sack the sushi chef...  there's something about Bono saying doefully over a minor synth chord "people die every day... children die every day... Now, lets have a nice sing song, you might remember this one, a one-two-three-four!" that reminds me of chris tarrants show where they laugh a some quirky japanese and then show a child being bummed.

But - it's not raising cash is it?  It's just trying to raise awareness... even if i think geldof has very little understanding of the issues, and most of the people there less so - hmm... i can't moan too much can i?

Anyway, there's an offer to order the new statesman, for three months, for £1.20! Bargain!

Cappsy

Quote from: "Robot Devil"To be fair, he said "the drugs to treat AIDS", and even if he did misspeak and say cure, it's not realy "smug".

Well, I was speaking more generally.

Cappsy

Quote from: "Borboski"Ah fucks sake i was just saying we're missing sting.

Naturally, I'm incredibly cynical, maybe U2 should sell some of their fucking guitars and sack the sushi chef...  there's something about Bono saying doefully over a minor synth chord "people die every day... children die every day... Now, lets have a nice sing song, you might remember this one, a one-two-three-four!" that reminds me of chris tarrants show where they laugh a some quirky japanese and then show a child being bummed.

But - it's not raising cash is it?  It's just trying to raise awareness... even if i think geldof has very little understanding of the issues, and most of the people there less so - hmm... i can't moan too much can i?

Anyway, there's an offer to order the new statesman, for three months, for £1.20! Bargain!

I'm laying aside any cynicism, because it's not often I've got almost 12 hours of live music on my telly.  I'll take that, thank you very much.

Regular John

85% of the worlds population? I'm sure China couldn't give a FUCK.

Hypnotoad.

Quote from: "Cappsy"

I'm laying aside any cynicism, because it's not often I've got almost 12 hours of live music on my telly.  I'll take that, thank you very much.

Dido, Joss Stone, Keane, Mariah Cary, Ms. Dynamite, Robbie Williams, truly this is a great day

Cappsy

Quote from: "Homer J"Dido, Joss Stone, Keane, Mariah Cary, Ms. Dynamite, Robbie Williams, truly this is a great day

So, I'm not going to like some of the people on the bill?  What a suprise!

Cerys

I don't really give a shit about most of the people they've got playing.  I saw those crowds in Hyde Park and every other venue, and just started to choke up.  Just when I despair of the human race, it does something that reminds me there's still hope for us as a species.

Bono is a smug git, though.

Still Not George

Quote from: "Homer J"Dido, Joss Stone, Keane, Mariah Cary, Ms. Dynamite, Robbie Williams, truly this is a great day

Yeah, cos they should have gone and asked you, personally, which acts they should have on, shouldn't they?

- Rant removed due to being at least 50% aimed at a different thread -

Adrian Brezhnev

Well, Coldplay and Richard Ashcroft did a pretty good job of their set, I reckon.

Borboski

Mrs Borboski just asked if people (people like us) we're cynical about Live Aid when it occured.  I know Morrisey said about the live aid single "i know people in africa are dieing but that's no reason to punish us".

lardboy

So are guest appearances going t be the order of the day?  We've had Macca and U2 and now Richard Ashcroft and Coldplay.  I do hope there'll be more, as we could have something a bit more interesting than a ten minute slot of every band's current tour.

God, Chris Martin is a tit.

Regular John

Dido and some anti-depressants would be a good guest appearance.

Mister Cairo

... hmm... i can't moan too much can i?

As I said in the Fuck You Off thread, my only gripe is the lack of focus on arms sales-which contribute to 1/5 of the debt created. Mark Curtis`s Web Of Decit is a good book to read about this, as is Nick Cohen`s Cruel Britannia.
Geldolf, in my view, should have called for a total ban on arms sales to Africa, and prosecution of those who break this ban, as well as removal of the Export Credit Guarentees, which mean UK taxpayers must pay when the arms aren`t bought.

I`ve just realised I`m spoiling the concert so I`ll shut up. I was thinking it would be nice to see Desmond Decker there-I saw him  a few months ago in Brgihton and he rocked my socks.