Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:51:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sixth series of Line Of Duty on BBC 21st March

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 27, 2021, 10:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe sixth series of Line of Duty will begin on 21 March, the BBC has confirmed.

Martin Compston, Vicky McClure and Adrian Dunbar will reprise their roles in the Jed Mercurio drama about corruption inside the police force.

They will be joined by Kelly Macdonald, who will play a DCI (Detective Chief Inspector) who comes under suspicion.

The latest series of the popular crime drama will have seven episodes, making it the longest series to date.

Series two is currently being repeated on BBC One, while all five previous series can be watched on BBC iPlayer...

Shalom Brune-Franklin, seen last year in BBC One's political thriller Roadkill, will play Chloe Bishop, a new addition to the AC-12 team...

Line of Duty begins on BBC One on Sunday 21 March at 21:00 GMT.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56213662

Looking forward to this.

BlodwynPig

I already created a thread...

Ok, i cocked it up, but still.

chveik

Mobius

Yessss, can't wait.

DCI Hastings, LIKE THE BATTLE

DrGreggles

Ooh, that's my birthday!

Need to rewatch LoD.
I seem to recall the last episode was a bit silly.

BeardFaceMan

The last 2 minutes of the last ep of series 5 has really dampened my enthusiasm for series 6, it was hot fucking garbage and the series had been great up until that point. I am interested to see where they go with it though.

phantom_power

I remember literally nothing of the last series but am looking forward to this nonetheless

Custard

I remember her off Motherland was there. And erm, that's about it

BlodwynPig

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 27, 2021, 11:08:31 PM
The last 2 minutes of the last ep of series 5 has really dampened my enthusiasm for series 6, it was hot fucking garbage and the series had been great up until that point. I am interested to see where they go with it though.

I suspect cut and paste. The usual. It's the BBC - they destroy everything with a hint of going against the grain. Let's see.

Phil_A

I feel like Mercurio really dropped the ball in the latter half of the last series. The interview with Hastings should've been peak LoD but it was just a bit of a damp fart. And they had a whole episode before that of him just behaving stupidly in an out-of-character way so he would look extra-suspicious under interrogation.

All the stuff with Stephen Graham's character in the first half of the series was fine, but once that was shoved aside in favour of the ongoing metaplot it kind-of fell apart, and it seemed like all the answers to questions raised were less interesting than anything you could've predicted, and that's not even getting into the nonsense of Dot's dying message. The change of director halfway through might've had an effect I guess (series regular John Strickland in the first half, Susan Tully in the second), but really, there's no-one to blame but Ol' Jed.

Good pay-off having that little shit Ryan from Series 1 be a full-fledged gang member though (and the new Caddy presumably).

I hope the new series puts the now very silly "H" stuff in the background and goes back to being a battle of wits between AC12 and BENT COPPERS.

phantom_power

Yeah the longer these shows go on the more they get caught up in their own mythology and either get overly complicated or have to cheat by having characters do stupid or oblique things to keep the mystery going

BlodwynPig

Quote from: phantom_power on February 28, 2021, 11:47:22 AM
Yeah the longer these shows go on the more they get caught up in their own mythology and either get overly complicated or have to cheat by having characters do stupid or oblique things to keep the mystery going

The only way they can happily resolve this is to show that in fact all the team are corrupt.

BeardFaceMan

The problem with this show is they more or less threw away 5 series worth of mythology for the sake of a twist that made no sense.

I was always happy to suspend my disbelief while watching this, and with that in mind I thought the last series was as good as any other. Until they fucked it with the morse code twist at the end. Unless Ted dismisses that theory as bollocks in the first ten minutes of the new series I'm not sure I'll make it past episode one.

BeardFaceMan

Thats pretty much how I feel too, it was so bad and it was executed pretty badly too, the way Steve came upon the new theory was utter bollocks, even for a suspension-of-disbelief show like this. Has there been any word on whether this is the last series or not?

Fambo Number Mive

I wonder if Steve and Kate are due for another hug, they've had two so far in five series.

I don't think there are any plans to stop after series six. Although it can sometimes get very bleak, I usually enjoy the show even when it gets a bit unbelievable. Still have no idea who H is.

I wonder if police corruption in real life works like that uncovered in Line of Duty. I suppose it's very varied, some officers are on the payroll of major organised crime figures and some are corrupt at lower levels.

jobotic

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 28, 2021, 06:01:53 PM
Has there been any word on whether this is the last series or not?

It wouldn't surprise me if it ended up running for 25 series without any of the original cast or writers, like a Silent Witness.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on February 28, 2021, 07:11:48 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if it ended up running for 25 series without any of the original cast or writers, like a Silent Witness.

Did Silent Witness have good seasons. I did watch later ones and enjoyed some of the acting, but the plots were BBC fodder. But the earlier series with the Irish actress - was that RSC level in comparison?

Spooks was another show that got the chattering middle-class "ok for mums" makeover after a couple of hard hitting left of centre series.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 28, 2021, 10:44:48 AM
I suspect cut and paste. The usual. It's the BBC - they destroy everything with a hint of going against the grain. Let's see.

What do you mean by that? As in: I genuinely don't know what you mean with regards to the BBC drama Line of Duty.

EDIT: Having now read your subsequent posts, I think I know what you're getting at. Any BBC drama with a whiff of subversion will eventually bland out and toe the party line.

Well that's possibly true, but LoD has made blatant allusions to former BBC employee Savile, and it's primarily a programme about corruption in the higher echelons of power. The fact that it's a crowd-pleasing mainstream drama heightens that sense of subversion, although I suppose you could argue that its innate pulp silliness undermines the serious points Mercurio is/was trying to make.

BeardFaceMan

It's one of those shows that became a victim of it's own success. Once the Beeb saw how popular it became there was no way they were going to end it. It wouldnt suprise me if the morse code reveal was a last minute thing at the Beeb's insistence, a way to keep the show going for another few series instead actually revealing who H was and wrapping things up.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 01, 2021, 12:02:34 AM
What do you mean by that? As in: I genuinely don't know what you mean with regards to the BBC drama Line of Duty.

EDIT: Having now read your subsequent posts, I think I know what you're getting at. Any BBC drama with a whiff of subversion will eventually bland out and toe the party line.

Well that's possibly true, but LoD has made blatant allusions to former BBC employee Savile, and it's primarily a programme about corruption in the higher echelons of power. The fact that it's a crowd-pleasing mainstream drama heightens that sense of subversion, although I suppose you could argue that its innate pulp silliness undermines the serious points Mercurio is/was trying to make.

Fair. But that last series... looking forward to having my expectations shattered though. At its best, LoD was good.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 28, 2021, 07:18:49 PM
Did Silent Witness have good seasons. I did watch later ones and enjoyed some of the acting, but the plots were BBC fodder. But the earlier series with the Irish actress - was that RSC level in comparison?

Spooks was another show that got the chattering middle-class "ok for mums" makeover after a couple of hard hitting left of centre series.

I've never seen an episode Silent Witness, so maybe that was a bad example - but I can imagine Line Of Duty becoming that programme that always has a new series coming in the spring.

BlodwynPig

kitsofan34

Think you posted a trailer for 24 by mistake, Phil.

Phil_A

Quote from: kitsofan34 on March 15, 2021, 02:30:45 PM
Think you posted a trailer for 24 by mistake, Phil.

Ha.

The little "Ooooh what if Kate is really bent" tease has to be a painfully obvious red herring, doesn't it? I know that there was a fan theory that she was "H", but I just don't buy it.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I wish I hadn't watched that trailer. I wasn't looking forward to series 6 as it is, but that trailer made it look like a load of action bollocks, it looked like they gave the series to the hackiest editor they could find and said "make a trailer out of that". And that "or a woman?" ending can fuck right off. Not that the series was the height of intelligence but there were a lot of scenes with people just sat at a table talking, that trailer makes it look like your average dumb cop show with added guns. Colour me disappointed. But still going to watch, obviously.

gilbertharding

Has there been a thread about Bloodlands - the recently concluded (exec produced, not written by Jed Mercurio) series featuring Jimmy Nesbitt - playing Tom Bloodlands, a veteran Northern Irish detective with an obvious hair transplant which no-one mentions.

It was fucking shit, pretty much. So many plot holes you could use it as a doilly. How on earth was he allowed to investigate the murder of his own wife? Why were the department he worked for allowed to investigate two of their own leaders - one of whom was Tom Bloodlands himself? What the fuck was his daughter doing trying to set her tutor up with her 'Daddy'?

chveik

i'm guessing reading the thread will be much more enjoyable than actually watching the show.