Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:13:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sixth series of Line Of Duty on BBC 21st March

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 27, 2021, 10:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on March 15, 2021, 05:35:46 PM
i'm guessing reading the thread will be much more enjoyable than actually watching the show.

Robo Grief Cop

As for bloodlands, glad it is shit, I hate Nesbitt.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Just watched a screener of episode one. It's quite subdued compared to what we've come to expect from Line of Duty series openers, which hopefully bodes well. It still contains some Big Twists - it's Line of Duty, that's why we're watching - but so far it looks like Mercurio has made a conscious decision to dial it down a bit.

And Kelly MacDonald is excellent as this year's ambiguous copper. Her motives, her background, these mysteries hook you in. As usual, when the end credits crashed in I thought to myself, "Well there you go, I absolutely have to watch the rest of this."

Mercurio is a showman really, isn't he? A pulp fiction writer with an instinctive talent for grabbing an audience's attention. That's why he often writes himself into corners while presenting surface-level thrills. But whenever his work comes together, whether by accident or design, its appeal is undeniable.

Christ, that sounds like a press release. Sorry, I'm tired.

And I agree that PC Bloodlands starring John Actor James Nesbitt was an overflowing crock of shite.

I don't mind Nesbitt. Give him a good script - Bloody Sunday or series one of The Missing - and he'll deliver a committed, convincing performance. But he's a lazy man, all too happy to coast along playing clench-jawed antiheroes in utterly forgettable cliche-ridden dramas .

BlodwynPig

Not sure if you're joking or not, but I didn't spoil anything in my typically bland preview.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 20, 2021, 09:43:09 AM
Not sure if you're joking or not, but I didn't spoil anything in my typically bland preview.

Not the plot, but the style etc. Not angry, but fyi.

Saying it's slightly more subdued than most LoD series openers reveals nothing of any great significance. Why, I'll have you know that I didn't get where I am today by writing anything, ever, of great significance.

holyzombiejesus

Presume it's just being released one episode per week?

gib

Thanks for the teaser BoBB, looking forward to this even more now.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gib on March 20, 2021, 11:10:07 PM
Thanks for the teaser BoBB, looking forward to this even more now.

was this a dig?

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Utter Shit

Anyone know of a good place to refresh your memory of important things over the previous five series that you'll likely need to know for the forthcoming series? I started reading the LOD wikia but it's insanely long and written by an idiot.

BeardFaceMan

I think just watching the last 5 minutes of the last ep of series 5 would be enough. They've pretty much fucked all the history they were building for 5 series with those last few minutes, all the focus is going to be on the morse code bollocks and the new investigation.

BlodwynPig

Heard Robo Grief Dog features in this series.

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 21, 2021, 11:32:55 AM
Anyone know of a good place to refresh your memory of important things over the previous five series that you'll likely need to know for the forthcoming series? I started reading the LOD wikia but it's insanely long and written by an idiot.

Here you go: https://youtu.be/43qt3FrZh4s

Mobius

This was another good recap that came up on my Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ10WgkMZGA

That bloke has a couple of Line of Duty videos on his channel

Really looking forward to watching the new episode when I finish work in about 8 hours!

BlodwynPig

Who the fuck was messing about with the volume dial through that?

Otherwise, a box ticking exercise and cliched.

7/10

Bently Sheds

So the
Spoiler alert
other flat
[close]
the
Spoiler alert
lad
[close]
had was the one where the
Spoiler alert
OCG stored Jackie Laverty's body
[close]
in the
Spoiler alert
freezer
[close]
which is why it was
Spoiler alert
all cleaned up
[close]
when
Spoiler alert
forensics
[close]
Spoiler alert
examined
[close]
it? Nice
Spoiler alert
callback
[close]
to
Spoiler alert
Series 1
[close]

Spoiler alert
Hastings' "Hauld yet wheeesht" was the highpoint.
[close]

jobotic

So doesn't Fleming
Spoiler alert
know the bloke who was arrested at the flat? From back in the day?
[close]

chveik

ugh the number of shots of people looking concerned is through the fucking roof

EOLAN

There was too much of Adrian Dunbar saying son in one of his few scenes, while not having enough scenes of him to spread more of them out more evenly.

Rev+

Nice of the continuity announcer to clarify one of the terms used, after we'd spent an hour thinking they were saying 'jizz handler'.

Bently Sheds

It puzzled me that they had an invisible Detective Inspector Argh in the interview room who they needed to explain everything to.

Jed "I dun me research into police acronyms" Mercurio

Phil_A

Quote from: jobotic on March 21, 2021, 11:30:18 PM
So doesn't Fleming
Spoiler alert
know the bloke who was arrested at the flat? From back in the day?
[close]

From memory we only ever see Terry interacting with Ryan and his mates at his flat, so presumably Kate didn't know of his existence before now.

So this time Mercurio's decided to subvert our expectations of having a big twist in episode one that subverts our expectations by not having any twist at all? Well fair enough I guess, but it did kind of leave the episode feel like it was building to a big reveal that never came.

This is purely based on past experience of watching cop shows, but if possible corruption is detected in a unit, wouldn't that unit be disbanded? Surely AC12 would've been scattered to the winds by now given Dot and everything else.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on March 22, 2021, 12:57:52 AM
ugh the number of shots of people looking concerned is through the fucking roof

shit actors - turning around with the big doey eyes ALL THE FUCKING TIME. Even my mum mentioned it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Rev+ on March 22, 2021, 03:06:52 AM
Nice of the continuity announcer to clarify one of the terms used, after we'd spent an hour thinking they were saying 'jizz handler'.

Kate Fleming's public information spiel about mental health victims was jarring too - like something George Alagiah would read out on the BBC news at sick.