Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:15:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

David Baddiel - Jews Don't Count [split topic]

Started by phantom_power, January 28, 2021, 11:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

He was shilling for his new book on Twitter today. Called "Jews Don't Count" and it is, according to his daughter (not biased review then) an exploration of anti-Semitism on the progressive left.

jobotic

Soon to be praised all over as an "important work" I'm sure.

Be interesting to see if he actually spoke to anyone who is part of the "progressive left". Or if it's all from things that Change UK members tweeted.

Old Nehamkin

I wish I had participated in some shit sketch comedy in the 90s so I could be handed a lifelong public platform for my even shitter political opinions.

phantom_power

Quote from: jobotic on January 28, 2021, 11:32:05 AM

Be interesting to see if he actually spoke to anyone who is part of the "progressive left". Or if it's all from things that Change UK members tweeted.

I will never know because the chances of me reading it are as small as Baddiel's self-awareness

Old Nehamkin

Remember when Jeremy Corbyn mispronounced a paedophile sex trafficker's surname and David Baddiel was like "ummm, problematic much?" That was epic.

jobotic

Quote from: phantom_power on January 28, 2021, 11:44:02 AM
I will never know because the chances of me reading it are as small as Baddiel's self-awareness

What if he tours it? Reading extracts, will you go? There's probably a free glass of prosecco.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on January 28, 2021, 11:49:30 AM
Remember when Jeremy Corbyn mispronounced a paedophile sex trafficker's surname and David Baddiel was like "ummm, problematic much?" That was epic.
Corbyn was also tippy-toeing and rubbing his hands together, funny how you don't mention that bit.

phantom_power

Quote from: jobotic on January 28, 2021, 11:50:32 AM
What if he tours it? Reading extracts, will you go? There's probably a free glass of prosecco.

Only if there is a lame joke about an 80s children's ornament/toy on the poster

How can he wring a whole book out of "there is some anti-Semitism on the progressive left but it has been greatly exaggerated for political purposes and the threat from the right is much bigger and more pervasive"

Famous Mortimer

It's almost as if he's not just oddly misguided, but is a comfortably wealthy member of the media elite and hates the idea of the left coming to power far more than the right-wingers he rubs shoulders with every day. Almost.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: phantom_power on January 28, 2021, 11:58:57 AM
How can he wring a whole book out of "there is some anti-Semitism on the progressive left but it has been greatly exaggerated for political purposes and the threat from the right is much bigger and more pervasive"

Maybe because the threat from the far right is low-hanging fruit and everybody already knows about it and there aren't enough prominent people talking about the antisemitism on the progressive left?

Pink Gregory

I imagine that he'll be talking to jewish people from the progressive left, then.  I thoroughly expect that.  One hundred per cent.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 28, 2021, 01:15:28 PM
Maybe because the threat from the far right is low-hanging fruit and everybody already knows about it and there aren't enough prominent people talking about the antisemitism on the progressive left?

I could have sworn that this topic has been the subject of endless, breathless discourse from just about every major media organ in the UK over the last five years or so but ok.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 28, 2021, 01:28:47 PM
I imagine that he'll be talking to jewish people from the progressive left, then.  I thoroughly expect that.  One hundred per cent.

No they don't count, sorry.

Icehaven

phantom_power

This is Baddiel. Since when has going for low-hanging fruit been an issue?

JaDanketies

Arguably, anti-Semitism from the far right would make for far more entertaining telly.

But perhaps an issue is that when they put some neo-nazi on the TV to espouse their views, our fellow hand-wringers argue that this is platforming and will help them espouse their ideology to a wider group of people. But this happens less when it's the lefties you're platforming. Maybe any platforming of holocaust deniers is best avoided.

phantom_power

It's a book so I am not sure the same issues of platforming hold true

Quote from: phantom_power on January 28, 2021, 11:27:07 AM
He was shilling for his new book on Twitter today. Called "Jews Don't Count" and it is, according to his daughter (not biased review then) an exploration of anti-Semitism on the progressive left.

Is that title an intentional play on on the moneylender trope?

frajer

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 28, 2021, 02:20:21 PM
Is that title an intentional play on on the moneylender trope?

I'd be stunned if anything of Baddiel's was intended to work on two levels.

Based on his Taskmaster showing I'd be stunned if he knew how to tie his shoes without concussing himself.

JaDanketies

I would like to think David Baddiel could go to the effort of coming up with a pun for the title of his book. I mean, you can say what you like about him, but you can't sit next to Frank Skinner all those years without eventually thinking that you can make puns.

chveik

there aren't enough prominent people talking about the antisemitism on the progressive left?

on what fucking galaxy are you living

frajer

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 28, 2021, 03:16:12 PM
I would like to think David Baddiel could go to the effort of coming up with a pun for the title of his book. I mean, you can say what you like about him, but you can't sit next to Frank Skinner all those years without eventually thinking that you can make puns.

I'd like to think a lot of things about David Baddiel. But then he speaks.

idunnosomename

hey insta buddies!! my pater's book on antisemitism on the progressive left really speaks to #me

JaDanketies

Michael Gove's daughter is much cooler and would stab you for a tenbag of weed.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: king_tubby on January 28, 2021, 08:03:25 PM
Ooof.

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1354869493714071554

He asked Reg Hunter about that on Heresy if I remember correctly. Just because he's willing to stereotype his own race (wrongly, as pointed out in the replies to that tweet) doesn't mean he gets a pass to stereotype others, the daft cunt. Basically just IT'S PC GONE MAD bullshit, isn't it?

Cold Meat Platter

Oh and just a reminder that he said on Room 101 that his mum was still tying his shoelaces for him when he was 17.

idunnosomename

Baddiel is like Riley really, you might give them the benefit of the doubt oh maybe they actually really care about antisemitism and have just been drawn into the whole anti-Corbyn thing as a consequence.

but no. they are narcissistic, bullying conservatives who love punching down at the plebs

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: phantom_power on January 28, 2021, 11:27:07 AM

Quote from: jobotic on January 28, 2021, 11:32:05 AM

This is so shitty (not you guys, the situation) - there is anti-Semitism on the left, just like there's racism and homophobia and transphobia and sexism on the left. Yet because the right-wing press and a faction within the Labour party itself weaponised actual anti-Semitism to attack and dethrone Jeremy Corbyn, people on the left are going to dismiss books like this out of hand.