Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:30:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

David Baddiel - Jews Don't Count [split topic]

Started by phantom_power, January 28, 2021, 11:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on January 30, 2021, 03:27:50 PM
'Just so brilliantly argued and written, I was completely swept along' - Hadley Freeman

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084GJ78FJ/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

like sex and the city she likes this because she's in it (pointless unfunny tory pundit cunt, rather than having jewish identity)

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 30, 2021, 04:41:47 PM
The gleeful celebratory reaction to Dankula's prosecution  was a real turning point for me. That's when I first became aware of the  hypocrisy, lack of consistency and all round cunty attitude of those I have long agreed with.

what if i just found it extremely funny, is that okay

peanutbutter

Are his kids ageing out of being able to test his children's book material on and he needs to pivot (cos the alternative would be engaging with other people's kids)?

It's an absolute waste of time getting annoyed with him, he's a grifter who simultaneously believes all his own shit. Odds are he'll eventually dig himself into some corner he'll be stuck in. I assume he's actually pretty good on trans stuff? Feel like there's no way he wouldn't have gotten on the TERF train if he wasn't.
This book is far more about branding himself as an expert for the media circuit than anything else. "When I was doing my research for my book" comes across a lot better than "I saw a thing on twitter the other day"

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 30, 2021, 01:22:19 PM
this gem

https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1090557911934341121

"Churchill beat Hitler therefore criticising Churchill is antisemitic"

if the "progressive left" control "cancel culture" why is this egomaniac racist still pumping out kids' books and getting on light-entertainment baking programmes?
Is Baddiel a tankie Stalin apologist then? Defeated Hitler, won't hear a word said against him or his persecution of Jews in Russia. (Looking forward to the photoshops, if nothing else.)

Urinal Cake

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 30, 2021, 01:22:19 PM
this gem

https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1090557911934341121

"Churchill beat Hitler therefore criticising Churchill is antisemitic"

if the "progressive left" control "cancel culture" why is this egomaniac racist still pumping out kids' books and getting on light-entertainment baking programmes?
Look white supremacists can only be racist against Jews. Indians, Egyptians and not 'white/Protestant enough' Irish don't count.

Baddiel much like Rowling, Linehan is on the path to conservatism or right-wing grifting. But frankly his work was always seen as a bit shit and of it's time. Something you can't say about Rowling and Linehan.

idunnosomename

he'll be okay as long as he can think of a new idea for a shit children's book, like a nerdy boy (is perhaps Asian or something) who makes a time machine that brings a caveman boy to our time, and he is very uncouth and farts a lot, then learns a lesson and saves the day or SOME FUCKING SHIT LIKE THAT

idunnosomename

genuinely didn't know which person he meant. so he has a printed tie? so what. fucking hell. i hate david baddiel. a sanctimonious racist. incredible.

Urinal Cake

But a shirt without sleeves as well. And a bad toupee! A bit like the Flintstones.

St_Eddie

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 31, 2021, 12:33:01 AM
genuinely didn't know which person he meant. so he has a printed tie? so what. fucking hell. i hate david baddiel. a sanctimonious racist. incredible.

But the man's outfit was atrocious.  The man's skin colour is irrelevant to what he's being criticised for.  Barmy to me that it's considered racist to criticise a black person for something other than their ethnicity.  Are black people exempt from criticism of any kind in general?  They need to be placed on a pedestal and treated as other?  In what manner is that practicing equality?

Urinal Cake

The racist joke was whether this was just normal attire for him. Now admittedly there are a few ways to interpret as racist from serious to least:
-The black guy looks like he's come from the Flinstones. So black people are less civilised etc trope.
-The black guy is so poor he can't afford a tie or 'good hair' or sleeves on his shirt
-Black people they always wear such flamboyant and colourful clothes.

bgmnts

Sorry yeah I just took it as saying his clothes look silly and if he normally wears those clothes. One of those "am I normal?' moments, I suppose.

Baddiel is a cunt though.

neveragain

From that clip alone, Baddiel is just making fun of someone dressed bizarrely.

chveik

I guess you don't look at it the same way when you know that the man making the banter is a massive racist

St_Eddie

Quote from: Urinal Cake on January 31, 2021, 12:54:44 AM
The racist joke was whether this was just normal attire for him.

I don't think that's what Baddiel was saying at all.  He's asking if it's normal attire for this person, or whether it was a humorous outfit he wore especially for the game.  Again; the man's skin colour is irrelevant.  People dress up for football matches all the time and it seems to be that's all Baddiel was asking for clarification on.

Quote from: Urinal Cake on January 31, 2021, 12:54:44 AMThe black guy looks like he's come from the Flinstones. So black people are less civilised etc trope.

Baddiel never once mentioned The Flintstones.  Besides which, the Flintstones were white.

Quote from: Urinal Cake on January 31, 2021, 12:54:44 AMThe black guy is so poor he can't afford a tie or 'good hair' or sleeves on his shirt

You're projecting so much into Baddiel's meaning here.  You're putting words into his mouth.

Quote from: Urinal Cake on January 31, 2021, 12:54:44 AMBlack people they always wear such flamboyant and colourful clothes.

That's a gay stereotype, surely?

St_Eddie

Quote from: chveik on January 31, 2021, 01:05:29 AM
I guess you don't look at it the same way when you know that the man making the banter is a massive racist

I just think it's best to support the accusation of racism with genuine examples of racist behaviour, as opposed to a clip of him lightly ribbing a man for wearing a ridiculous looking outfit.

bgmnts

Considering David Baddiel has actually blacked up, genuinely blacked up, I dont think we need to overanalyse every shit joke and say its racist for a variety of reasons you've interpreted.

St_Eddie

Quote from: bgmnts on January 31, 2021, 01:13:20 AM
Considering David Baddiel has actually blacked up, genuinely blacked up, I dont think we need to overanalyse every shit joke and say its racist for a variety of reasons you've interpreted.

Indeed.

Urinal Cake

In short I could buy it was harmless joshing if he didn't have the history.

I only went into detail because St Eddie would not accept the joke was racist not that on some level it was racist. It's racist.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Urinal Cake on January 31, 2021, 01:19:37 AM
I only went into detail because St Eddie would not accept the joke was racist not that on some level it was racist. It's racist.

Your detail was just you making shit up though.  I remain unconvinced.

bgmnts

I'm racist as fuck then because I don't see that as inherently racist.

Everyone is racist though.

ersatz99

I'm pretty sure Baddiel wouldn't struggle to find the AS motive of anyone mocking the tie choice of someone of Jewish appearance.

St_Eddie

Quote from: ersatz99 on January 31, 2021, 01:25:12 AM
I'm pretty sure Baddiel wouldn't struggle to find the AS motive of anyone mocking the tie choice of someone of Jewish appearance.

I don't doubt he would do that.  Doesn't therefore follow that other people should do likewise though.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 31, 2021, 01:23:12 AM
Your detail was just you making shit up though.  I remain unconvinced.
Baddiel makes a shit joke that only really 'works' if you get the racist subtext. St Eddie you just seem naive and have led a sheltered life.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Urinal Cake on January 31, 2021, 01:38:16 AM
Baddiel makes a shit joke that only really 'works' if you get the racist subtext. St Eddie you just seem naive and have led a sheltered life.

All of FFL was full of jokes indistinguishable from that one though, making fun of fans, players, commentators etc (often unpleasantly), which muddies the waters[nb]Don't![/nb] when it comes to singling out incidents as racist. (The Jason Lee stuff is a step beyond that, obviously.)

idunnosomename

honestly: i think the fellow on the right looks a little odd because his hairstyle is not what you expect from a black man. his strange attire with printed tie is the extra bit of oddness. but. compared to all the big fat bacon men with nothing more than St George underpants who were surely everywhere he isn't really worth singling out as they did.

I am siding with the lovely Dutch erotica lady who is dead.

Twonty Gostelow

I agree it was a bad idea to single that fan out given the tradition of racism among England's soccer fans, a fair percentage of their audience I'd guess, even if it was the same piss-taking they were giving out to everyone.

shiftwork2

His Desert Island Discs is belm.  Chooses a song he's on, and one that his daughter sings.  Mugs off for the rest of it.  Imagine the smug after that limo home.  Up there with Gervais for self-aggrandisement to counter fear of being found out.

St_Eddie

Baddiel makes a shit joke that only really 'works' if you get the racist subtext.

It's a shit joke to be sure, but it absolutely 'works' if one takes it purely at face value; they're laughing at a man's ridiculous looking outfit.

St Eddie you just seem naive and have led a sheltered life.

The thing is that you don't know anything about my life or how "sheltered" it's been, so please; I'd rather that you didn't condescend down to me, just because I don't happen to agree with your take on a short video clip.

You're projecting meaning onto the words which were said by Baddiel (and Skinner - presumably they both selected that man to commentate upon, prior to filming) and assuming his motivation.  Objectively, there was nothing racist within that clip.  Your interpretation of Baddiel's words is a subjective one.  Could the motivation for commentating upon that man have been a racist one?  Sure, it's possible.  It's also possible that it wasn't racially motivated and we can only go by what was actually said.

Ultimately, I feel that it's veering into the hysterical to ascribe what Baddiel is thinking at any given moment, to presume his mind and thought processes, to put a spin on everything he says and presume racist intent.  By doing so, you only serve to discredit the actual valid criticism against Baddiel.

ProvanFan