Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:07:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

David Baddiel - Jews Don't Count [split topic]

Started by phantom_power, January 28, 2021, 11:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 31, 2021, 12:10:35 AM
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1355597232859475969

The only thing offensive about that is what a waste of time it is. A waste of time for the poor researcher who had to watch hours of footage of crowd shots to find that half-second clip, and a waste of time for the audience who were presented with it without even an accompanying gag (not even "he looks like Fred Flintstone") and who then had to rely on the guest to wring some humour out of some fella with odd clothes.

Woefully shit TV. But not racist. Even in the context of David Baddiel and his pineapple head "gag".

madhair60

Definitely racist, and good on Sylvia Kristel for calling it out. Not surprising given Baddiel's form for it, not to mention the racism of football culture.

DrGreggles

Couldn't the 'joke' here easily be perceived as "Look at this ridiculous black man"?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 31, 2021, 12:35:01 PM
Couldn't the 'joke' here easily be perceived as "Look at this ridiculous black man"?
Gee I don't know, it's not like they're the only black men and they're surrounded by white people.

DrGreggles

I was saying that in response to the earlier posts that couldn't see how it could be seen as racist.

C_Larence

The guest calls it out as racist, which suggests it was racist, and the audience reacts with a sound that basically translates to "fucking foreigners coming over here and telling us we're racist", which suggests that they're racist.

Dusty Substance

Were Vic and Bob being racist when they blacked up to play Marvin, Otis, Barry White and Mick from Brookside?

mr. logic

Thought Skinner's response was interesting too, he obviously had no interest in letting Baddiel defend the bit (though he presumably had a part in it too)

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dusty Substance on January 31, 2021, 02:26:18 PM
Were Vic and Bob being racist when they blacked up to play Marvin, Otis, Barry White and Mick from Brookside?
they did stop blacking up for otis and marvin. does seem to indicate they realised it was a bit rum in the 90s.

if you blacked up in the past it doesn't make you an irredeemable slimebag. nor do you have to publicly flagellate yourself for forgiveness. just whenever the Jason Lee thing is brought up Baddiel absolutely refuses to acknowledge it was bad at all (and unlike Otis and Marvin, it was teasing a young black man's hairstyle while he was very much alive) and continues to act like a sanctimonious tosser about he and other Jewish newspaper columnists are the most persecuted people in the entire world.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 31, 2021, 02:16:59 PM
I was saying that in response to the earlier posts that couldn't see how it could be seen as racist.
I know, I was agreeing with you.

Bazooka

Quote from: C_Larence on January 31, 2021, 02:22:35 PM
The guest calls it out as racist, which suggests it was racist, and the audience reacts with a sound that basically translates to "fucking foreigners coming over here and telling us we're racist", which suggests that they're racist.

What if the guest was black and didn't see a problem? Which is actually possible in the real world.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Bazooka on January 31, 2021, 04:43:04 PM
What if the guest was black and didn't see a problem? Which is actually possible in the real world.

What if the guest took great offence at it and beat Baddiel to death? Which is also actually possible in the real world, and also didn't happen.

earl_sleek

If anything, it's racist to think it's racist.

Famous Mortimer

frajer

"Now, everyone knows all racism must be opposed. What this book presupposes is - maybe it doesn't?"

phantom_power

It's such a logical finger trap isn't it. Caring about non-AS racism is actually quite AS if you think about it. And if you comment on it then you will just be accused of not taking AS seriously enough

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on February 01, 2021, 09:32:18 AM
It's such a logical finger trap isn't it. Caring about non-AS racism is actually quite AS if you think about it. And if you comment on it then you will just be accused of not taking AS seriously enough

It took me ages to work out that AS = Anti-Semitic, after seeing it get trotted out a few times within this thread.  I wish people would just type out what they're saying instead of using abbreviations and assuming that everyone knows what it's supposed to stand for.  AS isn't even a recognised abbreviation, for goodness' sake.  QBSL (Quit Being So Lazy).

phantom_power

It's a long word and easy to misspell. It is the sort of word that abbreviation was made for

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on February 01, 2021, 11:00:30 AM
It's a long word and easy to misspell.

A long word?  it's hardly "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".  Also, it would be a lot easier for you to spell the word if you actually practiced typing it instead of typing "AS" all of the time.

Quote from: phantom_power on February 01, 2021, 11:00:30 AMIt is the sort of word that abbreviation was made for

That abbreviation which you just made up, you mean?  Abbreviations only work if the majority are able to see them and immediately say "ah, yes. I know what that means".

Anyway, GLMINRCYK.

phantom_power

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 01, 2021, 11:12:14 AM
A long word?  it's hardly "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".  Also, it would be a lot easier for you to spell the word if you actually practiced typing it instead of typing "AS" all of the time.

That abbreviation which you just made up, you mean?  Abbreviations only work if the majority are able to see them and immediately say "ah, yes. I know what that means".

Anyway, GLMINRCYK.

It's OK to admit you aren't up on current abbreviations you know. You don't need to get all defensive about it

St_Eddie

Quote from: phantom_power on February 01, 2021, 11:50:41 AM
It's OK to admit you aren't up on current abbreviations you know. You don't need to get all defensive about it

IDK.  IMHO IAJSVS to UAATT, you know?

St_Eddie

lol TBH, I just thought that IWABR was TMWC and BSDL, but HDSO BASKLDS LDL?  BTW, if AS is MUNN, then what is the SOL within TMOFW?  G2G now.  THX.

Zetetic

Dusty Substance

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 01, 2021, 10:41:03 AM
It took me ages to work out that AS = Anti-Semitic, after seeing it get trotted out a few times within this thread.  I wish people would just type out what they're saying instead of using abbreviations and assuming that everyone knows what it's supposed to stand for.  AS isn't even a recognised abbreviation, for goodness' sake.  QBSL (Quit Being So Lazy).

I've seen a lot of Corbyn fanatics on Facebook using "AS" when discussing Labour's antisemitism. I found it pretty gross, tbh. Shorthand text speak for a form of racism which lead to the worst crime in human history. More acceptable on Twitter where you're limited to characters but no need for it on Facebook. Guess it's better than an Star Of David symbol next to a vomit emoji, I guess.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dusty Substance on February 01, 2021, 03:50:36 PM
I found it pretty gross, tbh. Shorthand text speak for a form of racism which lead to the worst crime in human history. More acceptable on Twitter where you're limited to characters but no need for it on Facebook. Guess it's better than an Star Of David symbol next to a vomit emoji, I guess.

I absolutely agree.  The same thought had crossed my mind.  It does seem disrespectful, even if unintentionally so.

Endicott

Do any of you even own a sense of perspective?