Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:04:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

the new Tom and Jerry movie is absolutely stinking

Started by madhair60, February 28, 2021, 11:13:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

sorry to disappoint i know a lot of you were looking forward to it

The opening credits are insufferable, one of the worst things I've ever seen, a flock of pigeons dancing and miming along to A Tribe Called Quest's "Can I Kick It?". it's not a rearrangement, it's just the original song with pigeons doing it

madhair60

tom is a musician for some stupid reason and his life's ambition is to appear on a marquee alongside John Legend, i'm not making this up

Replies From View

ah man surely you are making that up using your own mind

sirhenry

Quote from: Replies From View on February 28, 2021, 11:30:30 AM
ah man surely you are making that up using your own mind
madhair's mind works infinitely better than that - see the untitled thingy in HSArt, which is by far the best thing on this forum.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: madhair60 on February 28, 2021, 11:13:13 AM

The opening credits are insufferable, one of the worst things I've ever seen, a flock of pigeons dancing and miming along to A Tribe Called Quest's "Can I Kick It?". it's not a rearrangement, it's just the original song with pigeons doing it

I made it exactly that far

Gulftastic

Quote from: madhair60 on February 28, 2021, 11:13:13 AM

Do they even go with 'Can I Peck It?'?

The Mollusk

Quote from: madhair60 on February 28, 2021, 11:15:21 AM
tom is a musician for some stupid reason and his life's ambition is to appear on a marquee alongside John Legend, i'm not making this up

Tom has always been a casual musician in the original show run though. I deffo remember him playing acoustic guitar and double bass on a few occasions.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Gulftastic on February 28, 2021, 02:29:20 PM
Do they even go with 'Can I Peck It?'?
They could at least have got donkeys or kangaroos or some other animal known for kicking things. Why aren't there more kangaroos in Tom and Jerry?

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 01, 2021, 09:13:09 AM
I deffo remember him playing acoustic guitar and double bass on a few occasions.
Yeah he serenades a sexy female cat with a double bass, weird to hear him sing.  Apparently it's Ira Woods doing the voice.

Shame to hear it's shit, but to be fair it'd be hard to stretch out a Tom & Jerry plot to 20 minutes, let alone feature film length.  There's only so many times the mouse can win before you start shouting at the screen 'Leave it Tom, it's not worth it.  You're making yourself look foolish'.

Noodle Lizard

My stepson's watched it twice in as many days. It's not very good at all. I tried to suggest Mouse Hunt instead, but that's old and boring apparently.

Replies From View

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 07, 2021, 04:18:48 AM
I tried to suggest Mouse Hunt instead

Could you please do a little charades thing for us now of how a person would 'try' to suggest watching Mouse Hunt (instead) rather than just fucking suggesting it.

Keebleman

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 07, 2021, 04:18:48 AM
I tried to suggest Mouse Hunt instead, but that's old and boring apparently.

Bloody hell.  So I suppose Laurel and Hardy isn't going to be an option any time soon?

Malcy

I was proper disappointed in it. They almost felt like side characters in their own film at times. I did enjoy Jerry being described as being 'A bit animated' though!

idunnosomename

while the animation does look quite authentic at times, sometimes you can tell it's basically 3D cel-shaded, or whatever the equivalent engine they use these days. I mean it looks 2D superficially, but that's not the way they make it. (ive not seen it lol im just going off clips I've seen)

also can't we get past just making something into a MOVIE by it being set in New York City?

Noodle Lizard

The framing narrative is unforgivably shite as well. Obviously that's not what we're supposed to be focusing on in a Tom & Jerry movie but, as has already been said, T&J are very much functional characters in this anyway and it really is more weighted towards its stupid-as-fuck "humans" plot.

Spoiler alert
Aside from the fact that we're supposed to invest in a royal/celebrity wedding from the off, the ending makes absolutely no sense. The wedding gets called off because the bloke won't listen to her and keeps adding lavish "surprises" like elephants and tigers and the like, but the plan to win her back includes surprising her by stealing her beloved cat to lure her to a similarly lavish wedding in Central Park (with all the same elephants and tigers etc.) Wouldn't have passed in even the tackiest 90s family movie.
[close]

It also felt very cold and mean-spirited in some of its violent setpieces. I watched some of the original cartoons not too long ago and, as violent and wacky as they could get, they always felt good-natured and in the service of humour and silliness. Something tells me Tim Story would've been quite happy with Tom getting prison-raped in this one.