Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:46:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Return Of BBC3

Started by Blue Jam, March 02, 2021, 04:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

The channel did (and still does) some decent documentaries. Like the Fuck Off I'm Fat/Ginger/A Hairy Woman series. I remember having an argument with another media type who said that stuff like that was exactly why they'd taken the channel off air. He'd never seen them, just objected to the titles. But they were actually well-put together shows about body image and bullying.

And lest we forget My Penis And I in which a bloke with a small dick looked at the effect this had had on his life. The scene at the end where he gets Cynthia Plaster Caster to do him and receives the cast of his three-incher (when he was excited, which he couldn't quite manage) is honestly one of the most touching things I've ever seen.

(No. It wasn't me. I may not have much to write home about but it's certainly more than he has.)

New page return of the cack.

H-O-W-L

BBC3 was also home to some decent-to-great drama stuff like Being Human and Casanova, as well as Torchwood.

jobotic

She (Dooley) was on the One Show a couple of nights ago, talking about that. every programme she's been on seems to be described as "a cross between A and B". Original stuff.

She also spent ages showing us round her new massive house and going on about how expensive it was to decorate.

I quite liked her before that.

Blue Jam

Reggie Yates has done some good documentaries for BBC3. The Men At War ones were good, where he interviewed Milo and Dapper Laughs. I think a lot of people here watched the Dapper Laughs one and, like me, it was their first glimpse of his material, this supposedly controversial comedian we'd all heard so much about but never seen, and his "shocking" material just turned out to be so much dated end-of-the-pier stuff. That one was pretty fascinating. He does lots of stuff about body image and body positivity for men too, looking at the pressures on men to work out and take steroids etc. BBC3's documentaries do seem a cut above the "Sensitive Freakshow"-type shows put out by Channel 4.

Murdered By My Boyfriend was a good BBC3 drama, based on a true story. A portrayal of a woman with a violent and controlling partner which showed how it really isn't easy for an abuse victim to just walk away. Powerful and absolutely harrowing.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 03, 2021, 08:51:14 AM
Dooley is currently the host of a decent series called DNA Family Secrets, which goes out at 9pm on BBC Two. She's doing okay.

When are you starting your own corporation? The BBB

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 03, 2021, 08:51:14 AM
Dooley is currently the host of a decent series called DNA Family Secrets, which goes out at 9pm on BBC Two. She's doing okay.

She's also doing some fairly basic light-entertainment which probably pays quite well https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/this-is-my-house

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 03, 2021, 12:33:20 PM
When are you starting your own corporation? The BBB

I'd bring back Noel's House Party with a weekly repeat of Threads straight afterwards.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 03, 2021, 02:06:52 PM
a weekly repeat of Threads

Make a series of it! A different city each week.

S01E01: Plymouth

And each week a different celebrity guest pisses themselves in fear.

Norton Canes

Guess the guest! From the shoes and piss.

It'll be Blobby in episode one.

petril

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 03, 2021, 02:33:11 PM

and a different week a different celebrity gets to exclaim that a third celebrity's only gone and bloody done it

Blue Jam

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 03, 2021, 02:33:11 PM

...before Neol hands them a Gotcha?

Sebastian Cobb

Gunge tank full of radioactive waste.

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 03, 2021, 05:08:47 PM
...before Neol hands them a Gotcha?

A furious DLT beats Neol to death with a highly toxic rat carcass.

BBC3 has put together some nice little original horror/dramas since its return.

Life and Death in the Warehouse
Wreck (with one of the lads from Ladhood)

Takes me back to the heady days of Being Human and The Fades.
(which they will likely repeat, right?)

Reader, they did not repeat The Fades.

But the second series of Wreck was a riot. Slow start, I think, but the last three or so episodes were great.

thugler

I didn't understand why the BBC had a channel like bbc3 at all, at least when it was quite bad and young people focused. Really crap cheap programming that seemed exactly what the bbc is not there for. It did get better and there were some notable successes. But i don't understand why the bbc has to make lowest common denominator shite at all. It shouldn't be chasing ratings.

Sebastian Cobb

From what I understand from an Adam Martyn video I can't find the BBC isn't going to make original programming for BBC Three anymore and will be 'iPlayer First' with BBC 3 then showing things later, although that distinction probably means fuck all to most people who aren't broadcast marketing bods who think this sort of thing matters.

Quote from: A Hat Like That on April 11, 2024, 04:43:16 PMReader, they did not repeat The Fades.
The Fades was last repeated on BBC Three in October–November 2022, and is currently on iPlayer. The first episode was repeated five days before your previous post:

Quote from: A Hat Like That on October 24, 2022, 06:44:57 PMTakes me back to the heady days of Being Human and The Fades. (which they will likely repeat, right?)

Quote from: Theoretical Dentist on April 12, 2024, 02:18:15 AMThe Fades was last repeated on BBC Three in October–November 2022, and is currently on iPlayer. The first episode was repeated five days before your previous post:

Christ, how did I miss that. Yeah, well worth watching!