Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:59:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nomadland

Started by rjd2, March 02, 2021, 07:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

Just saw this in the cinema on a whim. Was expecting something quite average but was pleasantly surprised. The first 3rd or so didn't feel like it was up to much but I found it had a cumulative power. The moment when it all clicked for me was when the old woman (Swanky) described the beautiful things she'd seen in her life (like the birds all flying about in the sky, the kayaking) etc). I found that monologue incredibly moving and authentic and it totally hooked me in.

The piano score was ghastly. Fucking Einaudi. He'd be the first to go in my "caravan of death".

PlanktonSideburns

Yes they could have grabbed the site piano music from any free stock music website, it was fucken turds

nw83

I thought it was very good overall, but I don't know how I feel about the moments of true authenticity, ie, the real-life nomads talking about their experiences, being immediately subsumed by the fictional story (which is pretty low-stakes) and shitty piano music. There was a moment when The King of The Nomads bloke was talking about his life, which I found particularly powerful, but I was thinking, please don't cut to the Hollywood actress's concerned face at this point, please don't underscore this with sad piano mus-... oh, there we go. Kind of wish those moments had been allowed to run, unadorned - they'd have been much more powerful.

The scene combining another damn sunset, sad piano, and a word-for-word recitation of Shakespeare was a bit much.

TrenterPercenter

Agree with most of what everyone else has said; piano bit aside a great bit of cinema; feels real despite being film which is what it is all about a nod to life and that cinema is an emulation of life and not the other way round.

Oh and Dormand is just such a talented actor.