Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:41:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

80s cartoons which did and/or didn't end

Started by Chedney Honks, March 02, 2021, 07:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

Willy Fogg - I seem to remember an ending. Looked forward to everyone's episode.

Dungeons & Dragons - no ending, one was planned but never made. I actually bought the box sets of this a few months ago when I was pissed. Existential torment of being trapped in another reality.

Mysterious Cities of Gold - had an ending but I can't quite remember it. Probably the usual something like 'the real gold was coming of age with your best friends'. Amazing show.

Dogtanian - no idea, not that invested. Hope it worked out OK for the guys.

Inspector Gadget - unlikely to have ended up because it wasn't going anywhere anyway. What, Dr Claw gonna retrain as a surgeon? He already got his PhD in being a badass.

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors - famously unfinished, I understand. I may be wrong. Emotive enough hook despite generally weak motivation and concept for it to even exist.

Ulysses - probably ended but I didn't enjoy it past the opening theme.

Thundercats - unlikely to have ended because it's another war of attrition type show. Mumm-Ra is ever-living by definition so wtf is Panthro gonna do when the Thundertank runs out of gas?

He-Man - Reborn as new He-Man or something which means they didn't have to end the first show when the new toy range came out. I got one for Christmas and it just got mysteriously lost. Never solved it. Alway missed it on some level.

The Real Ghostbusters - currently watching the occasional ep when I wake in the middle of the night, very comforting. I expect it faltered and was cancelled. The opening titles were the most pumped I ever got from a TV show, every week.

Turtles - another I need to add to the rotation soon. Nothing quite like the stolen hours in the middle of the night when you're working from home the next day. I've almost programmed myself to wake at around 2am if I'm at work home the next day.

D&D is the real kicker of the above

colacentral

The last episode of Inspector Gadget was him dealing with the fallout of finally getting fired for one of his goofs. "Go go gadget noose" was the final line, I believe.

chveik

Quote from: Chedney Honks on March 02, 2021, 07:50:14 PM
Mysterious Cities of Gold - had an ending but I can't quite remember it. Probably the usual something like 'the real gold was coming of age with your best friends'. Amazing show.

i feel like there was some sort of cliffhanger at the end, like they were going to look out for other cities or some shit

Icehaven

I don't really remember the plot of Belle and Sebastian but think the kid and the dog went on some long mission? I vaguely recall them getting home at the end but I haven't seen it since about 1988 so fuck knows.

Was there a definitive conclusion to SuperTed? I'd like to think that Ted and Spotty are happily retired somewhere. Texas Pete has probably gone proper MAGA.

neveragain

I vividly remember an episode of D&D which seemed like the last one. Everyone escaped back into the real world, except for one guy(?), I dunno, it's not that vivid but odd that I remember it at all.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: neveragain on March 02, 2021, 09:43:48 PM
I vividly remember an episode of D&D which seemed like the last one. Everyone escaped back into the real world, except for one guy(?), I dunno, it's not that vivid but odd that I remember it at all.

Worst feeling of my life. It was far from the last one, some of them did get home but they had to come back because of Uni (not higher education) and I remember thinking you fucking idiots. If not now then when? When will Uni not be a problem in future? I couldn't see any way home after that.

Spiteface

Quote from: chveik on March 02, 2021, 07:59:37 PM
i feel like there was some sort of cliffhanger at the end, like they were going to look out for other cities or some shit

I believe Mysterious Cities of Gold got a continuation series a few years ago, never saw it, though.

With regards to He-Man, New Adventures of He-Man was supposed to be a sequel, or at least a tie-in to explain why everything's space-themed now (and save for a one-off appearance by Teela, only He-Man and Skeletor remain). It's certainly non-canon now, especially with the forthcoming Netflix series Kevin Smith is doing, which is being billed as a sequel to the original 80s cartoon.

I think Thundercats might have had some kind of finale, been ages since I've properly watched it. Maybe I should get round to watching the boxset I bought years ago.

Inspector Norse

Still have nightmares about the ending of David the Gnome. Never been able to stomach the sight of a bulldozer with caterpillar tracks since.

Seasons two and I think three have followed decades later.

Season one was re-watched over Lockdown 1. Its, its alright.

QuoteUlysses - probably ended but I didn't enjoy it past the opening theme.

Distinctly remember him stringing the bow, as in the Greek myth. Think this one ended.

H-O-W-L

The Real Ghostbusters continued into Extreme Ghostbusters which somewhat had a proper ending.

jobotic

Quote from: H-O-W-L on March 03, 2021, 07:54:59 AM
The Real Ghostbusters continued into Extreme Ghostbusters which somewhat had a proper ending.

Preceded by the Provisional Ghostbusters?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Since Mumm Ra was afraid of his own reflection, why didnt the Thundercats just break into his house and install mirrors on all the exits? He'd have never bothered them again.

Norton Canes

[Edit: Note to self - not from the 80's, or even a proper cartoon, get a grip]

MojoJojo

I had a quick look a wiki (I think most of the plot must have gone over my head and I don't remember any of it) - it seems like they found a city of gold, nearly caused a world destroying event and did succeed in destroying the city and the ancient humans living in suspended animation within it. But they did get some gold, so decide to look for another city of gold to do it all again.

Chedney Honks

Bad Ambassador

There was a second series of Willy Fog, based on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Presumably that ended as the books do.

The unfinished final episode of Dungeons and Dragons had Venger turn back into human form, revealing he was as trapped in the world as the heroes were, and the Dungeon Master opening a portal back to Earth for them in a cliffhanger over whether they would go through.

Mysterious Cities of Gold had a proper ending, but also a teaser for a second series, eventually produced in 2012. A third season has since been made.

A second series of Dogtanian - The Return of Dogtanian - was made in the late 80s, an Anglo-Spanish production with Taiwanese animation that adapted Ten Years Later.

Inspector Gadget ended with a normal episode, but there have been a bunch of spin-offs since, including a full-on sequel series for Netflix.

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors was cancelled after 65 episodes due to poor toy sales, but a film was planned that would have ended the series in a similar manner to Transformers: The Movie.

Ulysses 31 ended after 26 episodes.

Thundercats appears to have been cancelled after four series and 130 episodes, though the last episode sort of works as a grand finale. The 2011 remake was cancelled after one series and the lighter Thundercats Roar finished its first season in December. No word if that's been renewed.

He-Man also ended after the four/130 milestone. Two sequel series, in 1990 and 2002, ran 65 and 39 episodes respectively.

The Real Ghostbusters ran for 140 episodes over five years, with the Slimer! spin-off running 13 episodes. Extreme Ghostbusters ran 40 episodes in 1997 and had a proper ending.

The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series ran 196 episodes from 1987 to 1996, ending with Splinter telling them they're his equals. TMNT: The Next Mutation ran 26 episodes the following year. A 2003 reboot ran for seven seasons, ending in a crossover with the original series, as the 2012 reboot that ran for five seasons. Rise of the TMNT ran for two seasons up to 2019, and has had a final episode but may not have formally ended production.

Belle and Sebastian formally ended after 52 episodes.

SuperTed ran three series and 36 episodes, and after five years the US-UK produced Further Adventures of SuperTed ran 13 episodes.

Spiteface

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 03, 2021, 12:14:09 PM
Thundercats appears to have been cancelled after four series and 130 episodes, though the last episode sort of works as a grand finale.

I feel inclined to mention the fucking awful sequel comics published by Wildstorm in the mid-2000s.

There was "Reclaiming Thundera" which was okay, and by-the numbers, involving the Thundercats on New Thundera preparing the planet for returning Thunderian refugees.

Then there was "The Return" in which Lion-O was supposed to go into the Book of Omens to complete his regal training as king of Thundera. Mumm-Ra casts a spell which means what was supposed to be a couple of days becomes 5 years. In which time Mumm-Ra basically takes over and becomes so powerful, the Ancient Spirits of Evil serve him, and he keeps WilyKit and WilyKat as sex slaves. Not even making this shit up:

I will say, though, I LOVED the He-Man/Thundercats crossover by DC a couple of years ago. Nicely done, and SO refreshing that at no point do they fight each other. Lion-O meets He-Man and both almost immediately know they're on the same side.

greenman

My memory was always that the Dragons Graveyard felt like the last episode but looking back wasn't.

JesusAndYourBush

I remember an episode which had the feel of a final episode, where the portal opened and they had a chance to go back to the real world, but for some reason didn't.  Was that not the final episode then?

Spiteface

No because they always kept going back for the stupid unicorn.

buzby

Quote from: Spiteface on March 03, 2021, 06:23:24 PM
Then there was "The Return" in which Lion-O was supposed to go into the Book of Omens to complete his regal training as king of Thundera. Mumm-Ra casts a spell which means what was supposed to be a couple of days becomes 5 years. In which time Mumm-Ra basically takes over and becomes so powerful, the Ancient Spirits of Evil serve him, and he keeps WilyKit and WilyKat as sex slaves. Not even making this shit up:

Mumm-Ra there looks extremely similar to Molasar from The Keep:

Alberon

badaids

For Dungeons and Dragons the last episode was scripted but never made, if I remember. Some bloke has 'produced' the final episode by reading the script and patching together clips and stills from the other episodes. It's on You Tube somewhere. Fair play to him for doing it but it's not as satisfactory as it sounds. A shame as D&D still holds up today and I had a good time rewatching it with my daughter - there are some genuinely funny comic moments in it too.

Icehaven

Did Muppet Babies ever end? Did we ever find out who or what "Nanny" was and why she was charged with looking after all these disparate infant creatures?

Replies From View

Quote from: icehaven on March 05, 2021, 05:35:31 PM
Did Muppet Babies ever end? Did we ever find out who or what "Nanny" was and why she was charged with looking after all these disparate infant creatures?

Oh god maybe they stayed as babies and all the muppets-as-adults stuff isn't canon

dissolute ocelot

Ulysses 31 ended after 26 episodes.
Wikipedia says:
QuoteIn the final episode, Ulysses and his companions reach the Kingdom of Hades. They meet Orpheus, who seeks Ulysses' help to find his love, Eurydice, who has been taken to the Kingdom of Hades by Charon. Hades, the god of death, tells Ulysses that he must leave his companions behind if he wishes to return to Earth. He rejects the offer, which was a final test, and they all return home.
Which is nice. (No mention of whether he kills all his wife's suitors and his son kills all his mother's maidservants.)

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: icehaven on March 05, 2021, 05:35:31 PM
Muppet Babies ended, in that it reached the number of episodes required for syndication and they stopped making new ones.

notjosh

The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series ran 196 episodes from 1987 to 1996, ending with Splinter telling them they're his equals. TMNT: The Next Mutation ran 26 episodes the following year. A 2003 reboot ran for seven seasons, ending in a crossover with the original series, as the 2012 reboot that ran for five seasons. Rise of the TMNT ran for two seasons up to 2019, and has had a final episode but may not have formally ended production.

The TV movie, Turtles Forever, was effectively a finale to the whole Eastman & Laird era, before they sold off the rights to Viacom. It involved the 1987 and 2003 incarnations meeting up with the 1984 originals and ended with a shot of the first comic being inked.