Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:22:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

80s cartoons which did and/or didn't end

Started by Chedney Honks, March 02, 2021, 07:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: notjosh on March 08, 2021, 09:49:06 PM
The TV movie, Turtles Forever, was effectively a finale to the whole Eastman & Laird era, before they sold off the rights to Viacom. It involved the 1987 and 2003 incarnations meeting up with the 1984 originals and ended with a shot of the first comic being inked.

Which Nolan had done something like this instead of Dark Knight Rises.

NoSleep

Not quite the 80's (1992) and the animation was stop-motion models, but Truckers was really good for its 13 episodes and came to a halt at what seemed the beginning of the real story. It was based on just a part of Terry Pratchett's Bromeliad. Disappointing that something so well done seemed to have been ignored and abandoned.

Dr Rock

In he later series of Battle of The Planets, Zoltar's mask slipped indicating he was a she - or possibly trans - but I never saw them follow up on that, then the series ended.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 09, 2021, 09:44:24 AM
In he later series of Battle of The Planets, Zoltar's mask slipped indicating he was a she - or possibly trans - but I never saw them follow up on that, then the series ended.
There are a lot of stories grown up around this, but basically Battle of the Planets was based on a Japanese original series which was much weirder and Zoltar was both male and female in the Japanese version, but they hacked it up for western transmission, took some characters out, put others in. There is a ton of websites and articles which can explain this better than I.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dr Rock on March 09, 2021, 09:44:24 AM

Fire + wind + earth + water = Captain Planet

Spring + summer + autumn + winter = Colonel Planet

North + south + east + west = Private Planet

There's another one

Captain Planet + Colonel Planet + Private Planet + Lieutenant Planet = BATTLE OF THE PLANETS

wooders1978

I swore I'd seen the D&D episode where they got home in the end but probably have it mixed up with the numerous times they nearly got home or got home but had to come back for some reason

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

You had to roll 18 or higher to see the final episode.

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on March 03, 2021, 12:14:09 PM
He-Man also ended after the four/130 milestone. Two sequel series, in 1990 and 2002, ran 65 and 39 episodes respectively.

The 2002 series was a reboot and really, really good. It was cancelled midway through the second series, although I think they knew the writing was on the wall as it has a real Arrested Development Series 3 feel to it. It doesn't commit to any significant arcs so that you wouldn't be too disappointed if it were to suddenly stop. There was a similarly brilliant Image Comics series that ran concurrently, but Mattel decided that they'd cancel all licensing when the TV show ended, so that was the end of that too.

The Kevin Smith series has a lot to live up to.