Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:08:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How funny is Alexei Sayle?

Started by Retinend, March 03, 2021, 11:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Alexei Sayle funny to you?

Yes (and I grew up with him)
76 (50.7%)
Yes (and I didn't grow up with him)
55 (36.7%)
No (and I grew up with him)
10 (6.7%)
No (and I didn't grow up with him)
9 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 150

petril

Quote from: Jockice on March 05, 2021, 03:31:04 PM
Possibly my favourite opening sequence to anything ever. Even though he's not particularly fat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHa_SQB8NB0

swearing can often just not be funny on its own. children swearing is always funny

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 05, 2021, 07:50:45 PM
I think I've posted this on here before, but I love this game show parody, the attention to detail in the host's little Ted Rogers style hand gesture is wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDh0wv02U80&ab_channel=ruudmuststay

Brilliant, and the Sunderland accent

DrGreggles

Because of this thread I decided to watch the first episode of Stuff earlier.
Ended up watching the whole series.

poodlefaker

Quote from: steveh on March 04, 2021, 09:32:27 AM
Nobody ever seems to mention his earlier co-writer David Stafford, who with him did the Great Bus Journeys of the World in Time Out, Alexei Sayle and the Fish People for Capital Radio back when they did comedy, several of the records and Didn't You Kill My Brother, which is my favourite of the Comic Strip films.

Always wondered how much of the writing could be attributed to each of them and why they didn't continue working together.

I still remember David Stafford for having a genuinely funny column every week in the Saturday Guardian in the 90s. Amazing to think of such a thing these days. Had no idea of his history w/Alexei.

idunnosomename

once had an american in the car and they laughed at sandwich bar on radio 4 so i think that proves it

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: wherearethespoons on March 05, 2021, 03:14:19 PM
Crikey. I think I got banned for this. Is that right? I can't login with it and I received no email about it. If that is the reason why isn't the post deleted? I've been on this forum in various guises for years and not had anything like this happen. What's going on?

Dunno.  You don't appear to be banned, though.  Searching for Havmannen in the Members - Search for Members box still brings you up, whereas for banned peeps it doesn't.  (They still appear in the list if you wade through it the hard way, but the Search won't find them.)

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 05, 2021, 10:45:56 PM
Because of this thread I decided to watch the first episode of Stuff earlier.
Ended up watching the whole series.

Surprisingly decent at dancing too for a big lad.
Like when Oliver Hardy used to show off his twinkle toes.

sugarvalves

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 05, 2021, 07:47:42 PM
He's got a new series of plays starting on Radio 4 next week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000syms

Thanks for linking that. Gonna give it a listen when it's out. Was the first series any good? I thought Sandwich Bar was brilliant, but I only listened to it on a whim having only encountered him through The Young Ones before that. As a kid I always had the impression that Sayle was the kind of guy who was funny in short bursts but a bit too much after more than a few minutes. Glad to have been proven wrong.

Rizla

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 06, 2021, 10:43:22 AM
Surprisingly decent at dancing too for a big lad.
Like when Oliver Hardy used to show off his twinkle toes.
Those are definitely the parts I appreciate more watching nowadays - at the time I may have rolled my eyes slightly at him doing songs, as that was what the likes of Hale and Pace did, but they're great. I wonder if, like the Young Ones, they got more budget allowance for having musical numbers (due to it being classed as "light entertainment" and not "comedy"), or even a bit extra dosh from the PRS. Probably quite a fun day on set anyway, pretending to be a pop star (I remember Smack the Pony saying that was why they liked their music parodies - a whole fun day of lovely hair and make up and doing dance steps and miming.)

Have you got the S1 DVD Greggles? I can only find episode 1 on YT, they were all up there a while back but must have been taken down.

The Culture Bunker

I've got S1 of 'Stuff' on DVD. If it's hard to track down, I don't mind lending it to someone a while if they'll pay the postage to send/return.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Rizla on March 08, 2021, 02:43:10 PM
Have you got the S1 DVD Greggles? I can only find episode 1 on YT, they were all up there a while back but must have been taken down.

Yes, and I can upload it somewhere when I dig it out.

In the meantime:
S1E1 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5b0bcd
S1E2 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5b4oy0
S1E3 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5b4p6e
S1E4 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5b8x3p
S1E5 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5b4p6e
S1E6 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5b4pdx

Rizla

Nice one, thanks. I was searching DM as well the other day and nothing was coming up.

What's the DVD like, extras wise? Can't see a copy for sale for less than £40, it's Stella Street S2 all over again.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Rizla on March 08, 2021, 04:46:00 PMWhat's the DVD like, extras wise? Can't see a copy for sale for less than £40, it's Stella Street S2 all over again.
My copy (which looks like it came out in 2005) has no extras. The menu is just episode index and whether you want subtitles or not.

DrGreggles

Yep, no extras, shit cover.
Standard 2000's BBC DVD release.

Rizla

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 08, 2021, 05:03:39 PM
Yep, no extras, shit cover.
Standard 2000's BBC DVD release.
Bummer. I'd wager there was zero budget available for a lot of those releases - I'm sure I've heard about people being asked/expected to sit in a vocal booth in soho for hours droning on for no money, quite rightly telling the producers to do one. It's a shame, when it's done right it's such a treat. The Ripping Yarns DVD is a stellar example, whenever I've been without internet it's one of the things I look forward to digging out.

Egyptian Feast

I can help out with Stuff if anyone needs me to.

Virgo76

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 05, 2021, 04:45:16 PM
"Hi, I'm Dick Van Dyke. Hope you are too."

Yes! Loved that. All that Mickey Mouse stuff.
Liked the title-sequence too. Even as a child, I found some of ASS (to use it's correct name) a bit too Python-influenced. But, overall, good, as I remember. Enjoyed the George Formby/Einstein sketch too.
Loved his two memoirs too - Stalin Ate My Homework and Thatcher Stole My Trousers.
Am sure I read a couple of his other books including one where he attacked Vic and Bob in a tongue and cheek way? But overall, not memorable.
I've probably said this before, but had an odd experience seeing hi live in Exeter eight years' ago.
We were watching the warm-up act (Hattie Hayridge - dreadful) and noticed Sayle himself - bald, rotund, bearded, watching her from the front row.
After a while, we realised it wasn't actually him but just one of many Sayle-lookalikes sitting in the audience.
It was a bit like that Saturday Night Live sketch in which loads of Woody Allen lookalikes turn up to see his latest movie.
(Incidentally, I don't look like him myself).

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

It's " tongue *in* cheek*. If you think I'm going to let you get away with that massively egregious statement you done made, you've got another think coming.

Glad to see someone else pointing out the massive Monty Python influence on ARSE.One of the more overt examples is the sketch with the two Scouse housewives chatting away ( Jan Ravens has Scouse roots y'know, albeit posh ones), and Sayle's housewife has a pet bishop ( although you could argue that that's actually more Bunuel influenced, but Bunuel was also a massive influence on Python, so you can fuck off with that argument). With the third series, the Python blatant nicking influence was all pervasive,  with fake opening titles and closing credits appearing halfway through all over the place, with one show having the opening titles coming up after the closing titles, the wacky funsters.

It *is* a laugh ( I like a larf) seeing top young versions of the likes of Felicity Montagu, Morwenna Banks ( the original " Who's that fat bastard?" questioner in the opening titles of the first series) and Mark Williams popping up though, takes your mind off Angus Deayton being John Cleese in every fucking sketch. Where's slightly more sophisticated version of Maria Whittaker lookalike Harriet Thorpe now? She used to be in everything too, almost to contemporary Slattery levels.

Barry Admin

Quote from: wherearethespoons on March 05, 2021, 03:14:19 PM
Crikey. I think I got banned for this. Is that right? I can't login with it and I received no email about it. If that is the reason why isn't the post deleted? I've been on this forum in various guises for years and not had anything like this happen. What's going on?

No, but you certainly shouldn't have posted it.

I've only just seen the post after noticing you turn up in the ban logs, buy with no associated bad in place. I'd clear your cache and cookies and disable your VPN, if using one. Seems a few people are tripping some kind of ban, and using a VPN/proxy used by spammers would be a likely cause.

(Also you should PM me for help with stuff like that, or at least report the post. I don't read every thread on here.)

Edit: yep, you're using an IP used by spammers.