Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:16:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Idiot wittering on about nothing

Started by Emergency Lalla Ward Ten, February 27, 2004, 10:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

'The latest hot sitcom [sic] Little Britain ridicules the handicapped, homosexuals - you name it...'

- Felipe Fernandez-Armesto, in today's Evening Standard (in a general piece about 'bad taste in comedy' prompted by the Ann Winterton non-incident).

Yes, people lecturing us about comedy  despite never having actually seen any.

Isn't the whole joke that Lucas's character isn't at all disabled in the first place?

butnut

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"
Isn't the whole joke that Lucas's character isn't at all disabled in the first place?

And the fact that Lucas is gay, and Walliams doesn't give one the impression of being a card-carrying member of the heterosexual club. What are they doing, insulting themselves?

I agree, I hate all this lazy shit journo crap.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I've sent the following to the Standard letters page:

If Felipe Fernandez-Armesto is going to lecture us about comedy ('When Bad Taste Is No Joke', 27 February), he could at least watch the programmes he's criticising. If he did, he'd know that Little Britain is a sketch show rather than a sitcom, and that the handicapped character played by Matt Lucas is - and here's the joke, Felipe - not actually handicapped.

Darrell

Darrell

It would be good if Felipe Fernandez-Armesto's surname was Felope. Or Inghell. Or Erfeliperfasterthanlightning.

You're listening to Radio 2.

Loukides

Gavin Millarrrrrrrrrrrr

On radio, he sounds as if he's vocalizing through his sphincter. Fact.

elderford

Or, you could look at it as the character not being handiabled is a get out clause so the performers can take the piss out of the disabled and get away with it by revealing at the end of each sketch "look he's only pretending,  we're not taking the piss out of people with learning difficulties in wheelchairs".

Darrell

Quote from: "elderford"Or, you could look at it as the character not being handiabled is a get out clause so the performers can take the piss out of the disabled and get away with it by revealing at the end of each sketch "look he's only pretending,  we're not taking the piss out of people with learning difficulties in wheelchairs".

For fuck's sake. Why would they be taking the piss out of the disabled anyway?

elderford

QuoteFor fuck's sake. Why would they be taking the piss out of the disabled anyway?

because there is a firm schoolyard tradition for taking the piss out of contempories by calling them, spackos, mongs, flids, retards, etc.

eg. Spaced, when Mike is called a spaz or the reference to Joey Deacon.

The programme is more geared for the youf audience, who by nature can enjoy being cruel and have high opinions of their own self worth and opinions (lacking empathy in other words).

Without the punchline of "he's pretending" the sketches would be vicious.

There is something about them I find unpleasant and lazy. It is necessary to learn that he is pretending so that each week the build up can be found amusing, because the viewer is allowed to indulge in mocking, as he isn't really disabled. Without that knowledge the sketches only work as a pisstake of the physically and/or mentally disabled.

It's not just that he is a wheelchair user, his behaviour and speech suggest he is also suffering from a mental disability.

Speciality meat product

Surely the joke is that he's just incredibly lazy, to the point where he can't even be arsed to walk, or hold more than a one word conversation with anybody. I don't think he's made out to be mentally disabled.

Come to think of it, the joke "Disabled people aren't disabled at all, they're just incredibly lazy people" has been done before, on Brass Eye.

Nearly Annually

Quote from: "Loukides"Gavin Millarrrrrrrrrrrr

Fuck'nell ... "TRUTH" ... This man is Jacques "Jacques" Liverot, isn't he?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

They didn't print the letter anyway. Scared, that's what they are. Yeah.

Vermschneid Mehearties

They're scared are they?

Fuck. All these time I thought they were just tossers.

alan strang

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"They're scared are they?

Didn't they teach irony at your school?

Capuchin

Quote from: "elderford"Or, you could look at it as the character not being handiabled is a get out clause so the performers can take the piss out of the disabled and get away with it by revealing at the end of each sketch "look he's only pretending,  we're not taking the piss out of people with learning difficulties in wheelchairs".

Yeah I know.